Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum - OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by heathpack
Does anyone know, however, if front desk lady is correct- Banyan Wing city view rooms have more noise than Diamond Wing city view?
I could believe it. The Banyan wing is the original Moana hotel building and quite old having originally opened in 1901. I once stayed in an ocean front banyan suite, and the windows seem to be the original double-hung units from when the hotel was expanded in the 20's. I could hear the ocean when the windows were closed (hardly what I considered a problem) but the old windows would certainly explain why the front desk said you would hear more outside noise in the banyan wing.

That said, the banyan wing has WAY more charm than the diamond wing. The diamond wing was built in the 50's as the Surfrider hotel, and was eventually annexed to the Moana in the late 60's. Given the choice, I'd stay in the historic section of the hotel for the atmosphere.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Thanks, everybody.

I called the hotel last night and asked for a bit of advice.

I expressed concern about noise and the person at the front desk told me to avoid the Banyan wing for noise but that Diamond wing was no problem.

Banyan wing is available, however. I can try to switch my reservation to Baynan wing for now. Does anyone know, however, if front desk lady is correct- Banyan Wing city view rooms have more noise than Diamond Wing city view?

Mr. Heathpack and I value peace and quiet very highly. It seems like the Moana may be a little too much risk for our circumstance.

H
Stayed in the Banyan wing in Nov on points. It was a Gold upgrade to the city view (street side). Noise will last until 10:30 - 11:00 PM mostly music from the street. The rest of the evening is fine. The windows seem to be the original double hung, single pane windows although the room have been nice refurbished. Being an older hotel, the rooms are small, especially the bathrooms. This is a historic property so definitely stay in the Banyan wing. I have been in the Tower wing many years ago. If you want peace and quiet and can afford the points I would recommend the RH as it is off the main street. Please note that I have not stayed at the RH due to the point differential but we did walk the grounds and it was very serene and quiet.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Mr. Heathpack and I value peace and quiet very highly. It seems like the Moana may be a little too much risk for our circumstance.
As peace and quiet is of most importance, and your status of Gold (which is unlikely to do much of an UPG at the Moana) then I'd quickly use those extra points you will earn and go stay at the Royal Hawaiian. I know it's another category up but you will end up in a room facing the beautiful inner gardens. I also feel that the RH is much more special generally.

I have stayed at the MS and RH as a Platinum, and was upgrade to a Tower Suite and Tower Ocean Front Room respectively, so I can't say what the room size difference will be between their standard rooms, but from what I have read would infer that the RH have slightly smaller rooms than the MS.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
frustrated to find that ocean view is no longer avialable at any point level

Mr. Tours and I are returning to Hawaii for the first time since February 2007. On three previous trips we have had spectacular stays at the Moana Surfrider-- All point stays. We were upgraded to tower ocean view on arrival the first time. We were also given a sheet advising us that we could purchase various goodies for additional points. We promptly upgraded to a tower oceanfront suite for and additional 6k points per night (our children were given the ocean front room adjoining). On our return stays we upgraded to tower suites with points.

With the change over to Westin, we expected some changes-- but I am profoundly disappointed to find that under no circumstances can we book (for any amount of points) any sort of ocean view at the Moana.

I called the desk to check on upgrading for points and was told that was no longer possible. I was told that as a gold, we could expect a "one category upgrade from city view to enhanced city view in the historic wing" Yuck. I called SPG and asked to use points to upgrade to suite and was told this property does not offer that option any longer. The only upgrade option was to "city view tower" for and additional 1500 points per night. I booked that. It is my hope that now we might be upgraded with the one category upgrade to "partial view tower", but based on my earlier discussion with the desk clerk I am not that hopeful. The hotel has a lot of avialability for our dates, but none of the 15 rates bookable on the site show a "city view tower".

I completely understand the limits of gold status-- Frankly, I don't travel enough any more to generate higher status, but we have chosen to funnel all of our spending onto the spg amex for the sole purpose of enjoying vacation travel. I have no problem with spending twice the points to get a suite or a fractional point amount to get a good view. To strip those possibilities out of the program greatly degrades it value.

Our plan was to spend 5 days at the Moana, then move to an ocean front room at the Hapuna Prince (big island) and then return for two more days at the Moana before returning home. Our previous stays at the Moana have been so wonderful that I am going to keep our reservations for present. But I am looking for other options for the two day stay at the end of our visit.

I am sure that there are many spg hotes that do still allow point upgrades. Also, the recent stays I have experienced on the mainland had included real upgrades to rooms with an actual view, but the upgrade now offered by the moana seems utterly bogus-- the clerk could not tell me what might make the upgraded city view room "enhanced".
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Honolulu in general, and particularly the part of Waikiki where the Moana Surfrider is located in is "vibrant", which means that it's noisy in general, day or night.

If you want people and quiet, go to Maui or Kauai.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:49 pm

In three previous stays of 5 days each, we never experienced any noise in the tower rooms (all ocean view or ocean front). Yes, Waikiki is "vibrant" but that section of the hotel is well built.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
A buddy just returned from the Moana. As a P his internet was comp.. I also went over to the Sheraton Waikiki and was impressed with the lobby and bars. Will give it another try which is unusual for him.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
Honolulu in general, and particularly the part of Waikiki where the Moana Surfrider is located in is "vibrant", which means that it's noisy in general, day or night.

If you want people and quiet, go to Maui or Kauai.
No, it will be Oahu for sure. We are in a timeshare exchange at Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club- that sleepy location is about our speed.

We have two nights to kill after the timeshare week and Mr. Heathpack would like to visit Honolulu to revisit his former college stomping grounds. He was an avid hang glider back then, so the plan is to spend the better part of a day at Makapuu and the associated hang-glider launch site.

We don't really care about the size of the room, just about having a quiet, low-key, pleasant and non-dreary stay. It is sounding more and more like the Moana is not the best choice for us.

H
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum - OnePass Platinum
No, it will be Oahu for sure. We are in a timeshare exchange at Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club- that sleepy location is about our speed.

We have two nights to kill after the timeshare week and Mr. Heathpack would like to visit Honolulu to revisit his former college stomping grounds. He was an avid hang glider back then, so the plan is to spend the better part of a day at Makapuu and the associated hang-glider launch site.

We don't really care about the size of the room, just about having a quiet, low-key, pleasant and non-dreary stay. It is sounding more and more like the Moana is not the best choice for us.

H
If the Moana doesn't sound like it would work, you could investigate the Royal Hawaiian as others suggested. I haven't stayed there since the renovation, but I don't think anyone's had anything bad to say about it.

The Sheraton Waikiki is a good choice as well. It's just a bit further down the beach, and is very nice since they completed the improvements there as well.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MP 1k MM, HHH Gold Starwood Plat, AA Plat
Free Internet for Plats?

when did MS start free internet for plats?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by junglist
If the Moana doesn't sound like it would work, you could investigate the Royal Hawaiian as others suggested. I haven't stayed there since the renovation, but I don't think anyone's had anything bad to say about it.

The Sheraton Waikiki is a good choice as well. It's just a bit further down the beach, and is very nice since they completed the improvements there as well.
Our AMEX points posted and we have decided on a 2 night cash & points stay at the Royal Hawaiian. As Gold, we think its safest to assume we'll get the worst room in the place on any sort of award stay. And we figure the worst room at the Royal Hawaiian is probably better than the worst room at the Moana.

Thanks for everyone's input.

H
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . . we figure the worst room at the Royal Hawaiian is probably better than the worst room at the Moana.
I think that's a good assumption.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Our AMEX points posted and we have decided on a 2 night cash & points stay at the Royal Hawaiian. As Gold, we think its safest to assume we'll get the worst room in the place on any sort of award stay. And we figure the worst room at the Royal Hawaiian is probably better than the worst room at the Moana.

Thanks for everyone's input.

H
Hope you have a good stay and please update us on the Royal Hawaiian.

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Last edited by BogeyMan; Jan 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm Reason: add thread description
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:10 am

We will be arriving at the Moana on 1/21 for a 5 day award stay. Paid the additional 1500 points per night for an "upgraded room"-- A city view tower room, big yip!

As I stated above, I have tried negotiating with both the desk and the spg-- but there is no way to get ocean view or suite for any amount of points. Upon arrival, we will attempt to upgrade for cash, if the price offerred from the desk is at all reasonable.

We are now looking hard at moving our spend to another card as we use the points exclusively for leisure travel-- situations where a premium room is important to us. Off-topic: Is there a ft forum that compares credit card travel benefits?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Off-topic: Is there a ft forum that compares credit card travel benefits?
I'm not sure about this forum, but there is one on the sister web site:

http://insideflyer.com/tools/credit_comparison/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.