Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wwwebster0
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Moana. As with anything, you have to be careful how you allocate precious cash and points, but I think if you have any regret it will only be against a hypothetical scenario (such as a potential upgrade) rather than an actual problem.
Nice first post. Welcome to FT! Thanks for taking the time to compile your experience. Sorry to hear about the "bumps" in the road on your Hawaii trip.

One item regarding your Gold Status, I too am SPG Gold via Amex Plat card. I wouldn't expect too much from that and you won't be disappointed My experience to date, is that it's good for more bonus points on stays and perhaps the late check out. Nothing else should be planned for and anything above that will be a pleasant surprise.

Also, as a general observation relative to the quality of your accomadations, I recently went to Honolulu (Oct. 2008) after having lived there 4.5 years and having been away about 15 years. Sadly, I was pretty shocked at how "run down" Honolulu seems relative to when I lived there. I didn't stay at an SPG, but rather ended up renting a condo. To be honest I was finding it difficult to find a hotel (any hotel!) that I was willing to stay it in Honolulu. Even in my web research most properties seem a bit long in the tooth and pretty run down.

I'm sure there might be some nice, high end (high $) properties in HNL, but I had trouble finding the "Toyota Camry" of hotels (i.e. good value, etc.) I just couldn't get excited about any of the SPG properties in HNL.

Anyhow, I don't mean this to be an excuse for the conditions you observed at the Sheraton, but rather an observation that while I was there I walked into quite a few hotels and just found myself disappointed more often than not.

In the future, I think it's unlikely that we'll return to Honolulu, but rather will return our focus to the outer islands, as we have for the last several years. Have been much happier there. Honolulu just seems very run down in general, and that's reflected in the city and the hotel properties therein.

Regards
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honolulu just seems very run down in general, and that's reflected in the city and the hotel properties therein.
I agree and the Starwood hotels there don't do much to change that generality. Perhaps the Royal Hawaiian might when the renovations are done. The room renovations at the Sheraton Waikiki were less than impressive I'm afraid--at least in the room that I had--certainly an improvement but it was pretty bad before these changes.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:53 am

I stayed at the Moana the week before Thanksgiving.

I am SPG Gold and as the previous poster stated, culd not book an ocean view room with points (as I recall.... I know there was defintely only a certain type of room wtih points you could get).

We stayed for 8 nights: Paid for 4 with points and got 1 bonus night. Plus paid for 3 nights with cash. booked separately.

The 3 nights with cash we paid for a Historic Banyan Ocean room. I think the rate was about $309 per night.

When we got there, the had automatically upgraded us to a Deluxe Ocean View Room in the Historic section for ALL 8 NIGHTS. They claimed this was a 4 category upgrade.

Yes the room is small but coming from Manhattan that is no biggie. The bathroom was small but again no biggie.

Now this is key.... this part of the Ocean view in Historic wing is the TRUE ocean view. We had a little balcony and an amazing, direct view of the ocean.

The Banyan Ocean view (what we booked for the 3 nights) would have looked out on the banyah tree and pool area....which is in front of hte ocean so it would not have been "direct ocean view".

SO the upgrade was really great, and we got it for all 8 nights!

I kept wondering about the Tower so we looked at a Tower room and to be honest we didn't like it. The view form our room was much better and the room was not much different.

The lobby and public spaces of this hotel are really great. It's also the first hotel in Honolulu. It's truly beautiful. The room, admitely, are not quite as grand or "luxe" but I think this is the best hotel in HNL. The ROyal Hawaiin was not open then but I would be interested to see how it compares.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Plat here for a week+ stay, upgraded to xx96 room (suite) - two balconies, one diagonal with south beach and diamond head on left and ocean to right, the other with north facing beach on right and ocean to left. Wonderful upgrade, really pleased the wife and daughter.

Those who have stayed in the past should be aware of a change in the pool and beach policy as of January 1. Except for the 10year+ repeat customers, everyone else has to queue at 7AM to select a chair at the pool or beach - no reservations the day before as had been the prior practice.

Staff also enforcing this first-come, first served by displacing bags and other items that are 'dumped' on chairs, such that each guest in the line has their pick of open chairs,s trictly picked by order in the morning line, without loopholes. Other than the 'regulars', of course, the 10+ stay repeat customers who can book a specific chair or table for the duration of their stay.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We are nearing the end of 5 days at the Moana, overall we've had a decent experience. Our reservation was a mix of various awards, cash+points, odds/ends, etc, so really several reservations. I called the Plat line the day before to make sure these were all aggregated, and was assured they would call the property and even push for a suite for us. Arrived late in the day to find we hadnt been preassigned any room and upgrades were scarce. So we were initially assigned a room on a high floor with a good partial ocean view. They worked hard to find a suite, and we were moved in to a 5th floor suite for the duration of the stay. Pretty good for the price we're paying. The room has the basics, flat screen, decent furnishings, bathroom could be much nicer but does the trick. The beach was crowded, but we had no probs getting beach chairs and umbrellas each day. Checked out the Royal Hawaiian down the beach, while not ready for primetime now, it looks like it will be a great property. The RH Plaza (a new mall near the hotel) is pretty nice, has some great places to eat and shop.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My combined *wood Waikiki report here.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
You weren't offered a suite upgrade at any of these properties? I guess they're not required to as none of these hotels have "standard" suites - but were the hotels so crowded that they couldn't offer an upgrade?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
You weren't offered a suite upgrade at any of these properties? I guess they're not required to as none of these hotels have "standard" suites - but were the hotels so crowded that they couldn't offer an upgrade?
All of the hotels in kokonutz review are generally very fair w/ suite upgrades. kokonutz clearly stated that he was upgraded. Suites are based on availability, and the past few weeks have shown strong occupancy at Waikiki Starwoods. First was Pro Bowl, and then came the Great Aloha Run on President's day.

I was at the Kaiulani AND the Moana during these busy times. Got a suite at the Moana, and the best available room at the Kaiulani.

Aloha
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
All of the hotels in kokonutz review are generally very fair w/ suite upgrades. kokonutz clearly stated that he was upgraded. Suites are based on availability, and the past few weeks have shown strong occupancy at Waikiki Starwoods. First was Pro Bowl, and then came the Great Aloha Run on President's day.

I was at the Kaiulani AND the Moana during these busy times. Got a suite at the Moana, and the best available room at the Kaiulani.

Aloha
I was just curious about the occupancy levels. I have been a regular at the Surfrider and although I've not yet been lucky enough to get a suite upgrade, I got a VERY nice "standard" room on our last visit. No complaints!

I'm visiting the Moana early next month and am hoping to get a suite upgrade this time around!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Stayed at the Moana 2/11-2/16. Not only were suites not availible, but oceanview was not availble for upgrade, only partial ocean was availible in the tower, which was one of the better "partial" ocean view rooms (1591). I asked the desk on some of the days and was told the hotel was totally sold out, everything.

However, a friend of mine (no status) was staying at the Sheraton on a package deal at the same time. He inquired about a suite upgrade for his 7 day stay. He was told it would be $700 and included 28 buffet coupons for free buffet. So, the two of them got two free meals a day, AND free internet in their room AND a killer oceanfront suite for $700, total. Their original trip was $2k for oceanfront room and air from SJC.

Jim
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:23 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Stayed at the Moana 2/11-2/16. Not only were suites not availible, but oceanview was not availble for upgrade, only partial ocean was availible in the tower, which was one of the better "partial" ocean view rooms (1591). I asked the desk on some of the days and was told the hotel was totally sold out, everything.

However, a friend of mine (no status) was staying at the Sheraton on a package deal at the same time. He inquired about a suite upgrade for his 7 day stay. He was told it would be $700 and included 28 buffet coupons for free buffet. So, the two of them got two free meals a day, AND free internet in their room AND a killer oceanfront suite for $700, total. Their original trip was $2k for oceanfront room and air from SJC.

Jim
I guess we should be encouraged about the solid bookings at the Moana, in terms of the tourist economy! Anything going on in town to cause the hotel to fill up? Or just lots of weddings? Were you booked on points?

Maybe things will lighten up a little by the time I arrive.

Just to be sure, I booked an ocean view room.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim

Jim
The "Sheraton" you're referring to is the Sheraton Waikiki, right? Not the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
The "Sheraton" you're referring to is the Sheraton Waikiki, right? Not the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani?
Either one is horrible. I've stayed at the Premier Suite at Sheraton Waikiki. Though the suite was huge, the room was in such horrible shape. Even the renovated room was digusting (yes, disgusting). I'd take a standard ocean view room at Westin anyday over those two Sheratons.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
I stayed here for 4 nights over the President's Day on a C&P stay (what a steal). We got a partial ocean view for 3 nights, and then the 2098 suite for the last night.
Couldn't ask for anything better.

Fantastic view. Fantastic weather. Fantastic food.

I think the valets were tired of parking our muddy jeep by the end of the trip, but they were troopers.

We visited the Royal Hawaiian; it's a nice hotel, but the Moana is so much better. (remember they still have construction for a few more months)
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:00 pm

We arrived Sunday for a six night stay, and got a suite upgrade for the entire run.

My only question is - I had a choice of a penthouse 1 bedroom suite or one of the corner Tower suites on the 7th floor, and took the 7th floor. Seems to me someone on this forum said they preferred the corner suites to the penthouse because the views in the corner suites were better, more direct. Did I make a mistake not taking the penthouse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.