Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Meaning?

From SPG website, the benefits of Gold:

Enhanced Rooms. Rather than redeeming Starpoints for a better room, you’re entitled to an automatic room upgrade at check-in when one is available. An enhanced room includes rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views.

Granted, it's all about availability, but with Gold status, if 'enhanced' rooms are in fact available, the poster has a right to expect one.
And we all know a Preferred Guest can easily score these rooms as well. SPG is giving away Gold left and right. I received 2 SPG Gold cards in the mail in the last few weeks because of my airline status. Gold means nothing. When I was a Gold, I expected nothing.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic
I forgot to add that right after we checked into the "ghetto room" I called downstairs to talk to the desk to look for a better room immediatly due to the issues. I was told that a note was put to the manager and they would contact me. They never did contact me. After my long conversation with the manager about the ghetto room I was giving the "better" noise room. The manager never contacted me in any way after that.

As a gold I wasnt looking for a suite, or even a ocean view I just didnt want the worst rooms in the hotel. Im getting about 4 to 5 hours of frustrating sleep a night on our vacation.

With our Amex use, we would be diamond level with the hilton.

Last edited by Dirk1609; Sep 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by Dirk1609
I forgot to add that right after we checked into the "ghetto room" I called downstairs to talk to the desk to look for a better room immediatly due to the issues. I was told that a note was put to the manager and they would contact me. They never did contact me. After my long conversation with the manager about the ghetto room I was giving the "better" noise room. The manager never contacted me in any way after that.

As a gold I wasnt looking for a suite, or even a ocean view I just didnt want the worst rooms in the hotel. Im getting about 4 to 5 hours of frustrating sleep a night on our vacation.

With our Amex use, we would be diamond level with the hilton.
Just curious, did you ever offer to pay for an upgraded room in order to get out of the bad room?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:25 pm

I actually didnt. I check into a "4 star" hotel, I assumed I would get a room I could get a good nights sleep in. All I want at this point is to check out tomorrow and get the hell out of here.
This post is just a warning to others. Get a room away from the Diamond / "ghetto" wing and away from the street if you want to sleep / have another conversation with another person.
If its as bad tonight I plan on bringing a manager up to the room to ask their opnion.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I actually didnt. I check into a "4 star" hotel, I assumed I would get a room I could get a good nights sleep in. All I want at this point is to check out tomorrow and get the hell out of here.
This post is just a warning to others. Get a room away from the Diamond / "ghetto" wing and away from the street if you want to sleep / have another conversation with another person.
If its as bad tonight I plan on bringing a manager up to the room to ask their opnion.
Really too bad to hear about your problems.

But my experience, along with quite a few others, with the Westin Moana Surfrider is completely opposite to yours.

May be as Platinums, we got suites overlooking Waikiki and so on and so on and so on.

May be you should become a Starwood Platinum?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:10 am

Has anyone stayed non suite in the getto wing or street side on the 2nd or 3rd floor of this 4 star hotel and had a 4 star experience?
This is my point. Get a suite or ocean side, great, get something else and its like you are staying at a much different hotel not the 4 star that you booked. Get a diamond wing street side and its like a nasty motel 6 from the 70s with a nice bed and TV.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . .Get a suite or ocean side, great, get something else and its like you are staying at a much different hotel not the 4 star that you booked. Get a diamond wing street side and its like a nasty motel 6 from the 70s with a nice bed and TV.
I agree -- those old rooms in that wing are a world apart from much of the rest of the hotel.

This has always been my slight fear of booking a cheap rate or award stay here -- that it would be the one time no Platinum upgrades were available for my stay and I ended up in one of those dingy old rooms facing the Hyatt across the street. Fortunately, it has never happened, but I do think about it. Personally, if there was absolutely nothing the hotel could or would do about it, I've told myself that I would start working on other options -- and be prepared to pay for them.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:52 pm
oc1

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
Great Hotel, Great Staff

Out of all the Starwood properties I've stayed over the last few years, this really takes the cake. No request, no matter how big or small has ever been a problem.

Although the Tower rooms are probably the nicest size-wise and with great views (the xx96 and xx98 suites are awesome), I now prefer the Banyan wing - I can feel the history walking the halls and staying in these rooms. They are smaller, some have nice balconies overlooking the banyan tree/courtyard.

Parking is $33 a day (in and out priv); I think this has gone down in price - I thought I paid $40 a day two years ago.

I just booked another night here in prime Christmas week for $198 - you really can't beat the value.

If you are Platinum, you should be treated well, providing there are nice rooms available.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Diamond Wing: "City View" and "Enjoy Views of...Waikiki" from same room?

We just booked a 2 night stay at the Moana Surfrider for March using cash & points. Got my reservation confirmation and the following is a quote from that email:

"City View, 32 Inch Flat Panel Lcd Tv, Enjoy Views Of Vibrant Waikiki From Your Guest Room Located In The Diamond Wing. 259 Sq Ft Max 2 People (flr 3-7)"

Does anyone know what it means to have a room which is described both as a city view and as a Waikiki view? Am only gold, don't want to get stuck in a ghetto room with no sleep.

Maybe we should just pony up a bit more cash and book the Royal Hawaiian? We don't care about a killer view (although that would be nice), just about being able to sleep in peace.

H
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by heathpack
Does anyone know what it means to have a room which is described both as a city view and as a Waikiki view? Am only gold, don't want to get stuck in a ghetto room with no sleep.
Waikiki is the area of Honolulu, so this means you are booked in a room that faces the city -- as opposed to the ocean. No idea why they said "city view and. . ." other than the fact that these descriptions are often rather cryptic.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'ghetto room,' but if you end up in this room, you'll be facing the main street that runs through Waikiki, Kalakaua Ave. While it's busy during the day and evening, it's no Las Vegas Blvd., so I doubt you'll be kept awake to all hours with the noise. And no part of this hotel borders what most people would consider a 'ghetto.'

Others can comment on how golds typically get treated for upgrades at this property, as I have no experience with that.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I'm not sure what you mean by 'ghetto room,' but if you end up in this room, you'll be facing the main street that runs through Waikiki, Kalakaua Ave. While it's busy during the day and evening, it's no Las Vegas Blvd., so I doubt you'll be kept awake to all hours with the noise. And no part of this hotel borders what most people would consider a 'ghetto.'
Thanks, AZ.

I was referring to the posts of Dirk1609 on the most recent few pages of this thread. He was in the diamond wing, city view, lots of street noise, no sleep and called his room a "ghetto room." He was referring, I believe, to his room being in a very undesirable location within the hotel.

These Waikiki nights are the last two nights of our Oahu trip and I really don't want to risk a horrible room.

We will actually have enough points post from our AMEX spend within the next two weeks to book a just book an award stay at the RH. We will probably go this route if award stays are still available when our points post. Otherwise, we may either try to buy an upgrade at the Moana or pay cash for a hotel elsewhere.

H
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:34 am
oc1

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
We just booked a 2 night stay at the Moana Surfrider for March using cash & points. Got my reservation confirmation and the following is a quote from that email:

"City View, 32 Inch Flat Panel Lcd Tv, Enjoy Views Of Vibrant Waikiki From Your Guest Room Located In The Diamond Wing. 259 Sq Ft Max 2 People (flr 3-7)"

Maybe we should just pony up a bit more cash and book the Royal Hawaiian? We don't care about a killer view (although that would be nice), just about being able to sleep in peace.

H
I have never stayed in the Diamond Wing, but from the looks of it, it's not very appealing compared with the rest of the hotel. Stick with a Tower room or a Bunyan historic wing (which I personally prefer).

(Does anyone know the history of the diamond head wing? Was it another hotel at one point? Or always part of the Moana?).

Can the OP book a room in the historic Bunyan wing instead? That's what I did with points recently and it really worked out great.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Thanks, AZ.

I was referring to the posts of Dirk1609 on the most recent few pages of this thread. He was in the diamond wing, city view, lots of street noise, no sleep and called his room a "ghetto room." He was referring, I believe, to his room being in a very undesirable location within the hotel.

These Waikiki nights are the last two nights of our Oahu trip and I really don't want to risk a horrible room.

We will actually have enough points post from our AMEX spend within the next two weeks to book a just book an award stay at the RH. We will probably go this route if award stays are still available when our points post. Otherwise, we may either try to buy an upgrade at the Moana or pay cash for a hotel elsewhere.

H
I was there for 5 nights a couple months ago and got one of the diamond wing rooms. The room was small, and you could hear the music from the street. I wouldn't say it made sleep impossible, but it wasn't ideal. If you go to sleep early it could be a problem as it lasted until at least 10pm.

We asked for a room in the tower wing but were told that none were available that night and to check back the next day. When we checked back the next day we were told the same thing again. Finally on the 3rd day they put us in a partial ocean view tower room...it was much nicer. I would avoid the diamond wing if you can. There's really nothing good about it. Even getting there isn't nice. You have to walk past a kitchen (where we were often greeted with an unattractive view of leftover food and plates) and even the location of the elevators are not great. Small complaints compared to the room and noise, but just more reasons to stay away.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:14 am

Thanks, everybody.

I called the hotel last night and asked for a bit of advice.

I expressed concern about noise and the person at the front desk told me to avoid the Banyan wing for noise but that Diamond wing was no problem.

Banyan wing is available, however. I can try to switch my reservation to Baynan wing for now. Does anyone know, however, if front desk lady is correct- Banyan Wing city view rooms have more noise than Diamond Wing city view?

Mr. Heathpack and I value peace and quiet very highly. It seems like the Moana may be a little too much risk for our circumstance.

H
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Stayed here for 2 nights last month with 1 free weekend night and 1 points night.
Got an absolutely gorgeous suite with 2 ocean-view balconies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.