Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
My second stay at this property in a few weeks and while there is great value in points redemptions and it is the only "resort" in town, there is just so much lacking. I'll stay here again because I love Mammoth, but it's not even close to a true first class ski resort. Much of it is due the physical layout and design of the place itself and cannot really be improved upon, but some better training and other amenities would go a long way.

Take the below simply as observations and not whining. For 12k points I'm just happy to be here. If I was paying the going rate of $500/nt maybe I'd be less than thrilled

The good:
Clean, comfortable rooms and well maintained facilities
Friendly staff
Free shuttle around town and to the airport
Free parking
Free ski check at the town gondola
Points redemption if you can get them

Misses:
Why is there no real lobby? A couple couches and a fake fireplace right next to an automatic door (freezing!) is all there is. The area is packed with front desk and bell traffic, luggage carts, ski rental returns, etc. It is in no way conducive to gathering or relaxing.

I have the heat off in the room and it is still 70 degrees - same as last room. Front desk suggested I open a window Great until I wake up freezing.

Why just one free bottle of water? Two people staying here. I can get more, but for a $500/nt room would it kill you to put 2 there.

Inconsistent staff - tough to get right in a mountain town no doubt. First day we were told the plat breakfast is only good for the continental. Second day we were told that the $15 could be used for anything. Third day told only continental. Front desk was hit or miss as well. Was told nothing about ski check or any activities at check in and there is no literature or info in the room. Just heard from a friend there are free yoga and fitness classes - wasn't told of that on either stay.

Only 2 elevators and they are packed! When the ski crowd is heading out or coming in - good luck!

All rooms (except 2BR suites) only have one bed. They do have pull out sofas, but clearly an optional for a 2nd bed would be preferable.

75 serious steps from the gondola and village to the Westin. I'm sure they would drive you up if you called, but it's a good hike in ski boots after a full day on the mountain.

Complimentary hot chocolate in the lobby almost winds up being a negative. One day it's good the next it's watered down and terrible. Sometimes it's orderly and sometimes a complete mess. And why only from 4-6pm? What would it cost to add a few hours?
If paying rather than redeeming it is worth checking out the options across the road which are similarly priced for a better room product. We love mammoth, it is our favourite mountain resort but I will never stay at the Westin again unless I can get a 2 bed at a very good price.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
Any recent experience at this property? Also, how's the snow situation in early May in general?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Since there haven't been any recent posts in this thread, I figured I'd chime in since I stayed there a couple weekends ago.

I had booked a studio suite and was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite, which was a pleasant surprise after reading others' results on this thread. We arrived about 9am on a Friday, hoping for the outside chance we could check-in then and then head to the mountain. Unfortunately our room wasn't ready, but they provide access to the small locker room in the fitness center/pool area for you to change into your ski gear and the valet/bell staff was very cooperative in letting us shuttle our clothes and luggage back and forth to/from the car while we were changing.

Our room was ready by about 2pm, but we didn't check in until after skiing around 4:30pm. Check-in was smooth, but the lobby and elevators are very busy late afternoon as everyone is returning from the slopes. There are a lot of steps to access the gondola, but we didn't find it to be too inconvenient. You can store your gear overnight for free at the base of the gondola, which is very nice. Breakfast amenity was $15/person credit to anything on the menu in the restaurant.

Overall I thought the property and room were very nice, well located, clean, etc. The staff was all very pleasant and helpful. My only gripe, and it is obviously pretty minor, is that they could use a couple more elevators to handle the traffic in the morning and late afternoon. I would stay here again.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Westin mammoth updates and alternatives close by?

Heading to Mammoth and the Westin group rate sold out and hotel full except for one night. I would like to be close to meet with Friends. I understand that regardless of where one stays you have to walk to the Gondola. Would appreciate recs for other hotels and comments on Westin, if it's worth it to switch hotels for the one night that is avail (and deal with storing luggage while we ski and move hotels) or pay high rates (500-750) if rooms open. Just skiing two of the days. Just returned from park city at a very comfortable hotel with the shuttle so not my first ski rodeo but don't know what to expect and how much effort to be "close" and what that means in Mammoth. Thank you in advance for suggestions!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:09 pm

We tend to stay in a condo when we go to mammoth. if you want convenient, i'd suggest finding a condo between the village and canyon lodge. There's a bus that that will take you to the village where the Westin is. Alternatively, investigate other locations that are convenient to the bus system.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Cathay G, A3 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Any information on benefits / what is complimentary at this hotel post-merger? For example I'm staying on points this weekend and my reservation is showing up with a "$25 resort fee will be applied".

How about breakfast, still $15 credit per person? I have 2 adults and 2 kids, Platinum Elite.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
Any information on benefits / what is complimentary at this hotel post-merger? For example I'm staying on points this weekend and my reservation is showing up with a "$25 resort fee will be applied".

How about breakfast, still $15 credit per person? I have 2 adults and 2 kids, Platinum Elite.
Can you report back on what platinum benefits were given?
Quimby4 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
How does this hotel fare as a base to explore Yosemite National Park?

First time going to Yosemite and thinking between this or Tanaya Lodge.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by wilma

Can you report back on what platinum benefits were given?
iirc it was like 25 bucks towards breakfast each person for two
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by navatwal

its a much more comfortable hotel if you don’t mind the additional drive.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by damnyourefine

its a much more comfortable hotel if you don’t mind the additional drive.

Looks like another 45 miles from where Tanaya, how is the drive? I am going out there from the Bay Area
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by navatwal

As a base for multiple days? Pretty terrible. This hotel is at least 2 hours from the valley, and a hour to Tuolumne Meadows. Tenaya Lodge is much closer to the most popular areas.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
As a base for multiple days? Pretty terrible. This hotel is at least 2 hours from the valley, and a hour to Tuolumne Meadows. Tenaya Lodge is much closer to the most popular areas.
Best advice above. I live in Fresno and have driven through the park to Mammoth and back a number of times. I would estimate it's at the very least a 45 minute drive from Mammoth to the park entrance which would not be convenient for daily sightseeing in Yosemite. I suppose the Ahwahnee hotel is out of the question?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:21 pm

late checkout?

What is the chance of a 2pm checkout on a Saturday this month?
Even if the hotel is nearly full.
I'm Gold. Have never stayed here before. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by evergrn
What is the chance of a 2pm checkout on a Saturday this month?
Even if the hotel is nearly full.
I'm Gold. Have never stayed here before. Thanks.
I wouldn’t say likely given the new loyalty program (Gold, Priority 2PM). Even as an Ambassador Elite and frequent guest we have had to remind them on several occasions (50%+ occupancy) that we had a guaranteed 4PM late checkout and they would negotiate up from 1 to 2 to 4PM.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 18, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.