FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/702159-westin-monache-mammoth-lakes-ca-master-thread.html)

A320 EOW Jan 5, 2005 11:15 am

Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050105/55176_1.html

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Westin Hotels and Intrawest Announce Plans for First Luxury Ski Resort in Mammoth, California
Wednesday January 5, 9:30 am ET
Scheduled to Open in 2007, The Westin Monache, Mammoth, at The Village at Mammoth is Third Venture between Starwood and Intrawest

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 5, 2005-- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) and Intrawest Corporation (Intrawest) (IDR:NYSE; ITW:TSX) today announced plans to build a 230-unit condominium-hotel under the hotel company's upper-upscale Westin brand in Mammoth Lakes, California. The Westin Monache (pronounced "mon-ah-she"), Mammoth, will be the first full-service, luxury property in the region and the flagship property of The Village at Mammoth. Construction will begin in spring 2005 and scheduled to be completed in spring 2007. The Westin Monache, Mammoth, in Mammoth Lakes will be the third venture between Intrawest and Starwood, following The Westin Resort and Spa at Tremblant, Quebec which opened in 2000 and The Westin Trillium House at Blue Mountain in Ontario, which is scheduled to open in late summer 2005.

One of the fastest-growing mountain destinations in North America, Mammoth is located in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains (south of Reno, NV and east of Los Angeles). The resort hosted close to 1.5 million skiers last season, making it one of the top three most visited ski areas in the U.S. and California's most popular four-season mountain destinations. In addition, Mammoth ranked in the top 10 of Ski Magazine's 2005 Reader Resort Survey.

The Village at Mammoth - a 2004 American Resort Development Association Award recipient for excellence - is largely considered the driving force behind the area's renaissance. The Village's design borrowed from European alpine ski towns and includes year-round activities and attractions, plus great shopping, fine restaurants, exciting nightlife and many special events.

"Intrawest has a proven track record of developing superior mountain and warm weather destinations," said Sue Brush, senior vice president of Westin Hotels & Resorts. "They also share our commitment to quality and creating memorable guest experiences."

The Westin Monache, Mammoth will be located in The Village at Mammoth and adjacent to Mammoth Mountain's new 15-passenger express gondola. Among its many amenities, the new property will include stunning panoramic views of the mountains; a full service restaurant; 24 hour room service; ski valet; a pool and hot tubs; fitness facilities; underground parking; and over 3000 square feet of meeting space.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

notsosmart Jan 5, 2005 11:51 am

Sweet! Another ski destination makes spg a little more attractive.

Jim90068 Jan 5, 2005 12:31 pm

Now if they could only find a way to get you up there instead of a 5 hr+ drive from Los Angeles.

toadman Jan 5, 2005 2:02 pm

Nice to see SPG adding ski resort destination properties. I hope the trend continues. ^

SNA_Flyer Jan 6, 2005 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jim90068
Now if they could only find a way to get you up there instead of a 5 hr+ drive from Los Angeles.

Mammoth Air ran 9 seater props up there from LAX a while back. AA has test-landed a 757 at the airport, but even if hell froze over and they ran this flight, it would probably be coming from DFW...

I love Mammoth - the drive is the only bummer about it.

couscous Jan 6, 2005 7:28 pm

Great news !!! Now we need more properties in the Rockies.

itsaboutthejourney Jan 6, 2005 8:17 pm

What about Whistler?

The press release didn't mention Whistler.... I would think Intrawest would somehow be involved in the development of the Westin Resort & Spa Whistler.

Either way, The Westin Whistler is one of my all time favorite Westin Properties, and I'm excited to see another closer to home in Mammoth.

Way to go Starwood!

SFOTRAVELER Jan 6, 2005 8:57 pm

Exciting news...I am leaving for Mammoth TOMORROW to go skiing for three days (10 feet of snow in the last week!) ^ I always have to fly to L.A. to make the 5-hour shlep up there :td:

I wonder what the prices will be like. Anyone care to speculate? Mammoth is still pretty rustic, but Intrawest is pouring a lot of money into the town. Hey, they are finally getting SIDEWALKS!

7 days of skiing in Whistler in 3 weeks...but at a ski-in/out condo, not the Westin...

aslsigner Sep 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by A320 EOW
...to build a 230-unit condominium-hotel under the hotel company's upper-upscale Westin brand in Mammoth Lakes, California.

I ran across a similar article reading up on some other properties. This article calls this property a "condominium-hotel". Does that mean this will become a SVO property?
I called the young (and quite pretty) girl that sold me my property and she hasn't heard anything about the property joining the ranks of SVO properties.

sc flier Jan 23, 2007 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by best (Post 7072384)
What is the date for the Mammoth Westin actually opening?

The Westin webpage of upcoming properties currently says Sept 2007.

parioli Jan 25, 2007 8:50 pm

iT SEEMS THE FIRST BUILDING IS ABOUT COMPLETED.

Jailer Feb 5, 2007 9:02 am

I’ve promised the family a ski holiday next Christmas in Mammoth, and am hoping that Starwood doesn’t make a liar out of me.

parioli Feb 5, 2007 6:11 pm

Some of the stores on street level are open.

TTT103 Feb 6, 2007 5:52 am

Any idea of what CAT this property will be?

SNA_Flyer Feb 6, 2007 11:24 am

My guess is at least a 4, probably a 5.

The other premium hotels in the Village are not cheap.

I have a season pass for Mammoth, and usually go about twice a month during the winter season. Realistically, I'll probably never set foot in this place if it's priced like I think it's going to be. Much better deals doing a nice condo rental.

The whole village concept is interesting - trying to attract the Aspen type crowd to Mammoth - but I don't know how well it is going to work. To me, it's everything that Mammoth is not about.