FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/702159-westin-monache-mammoth-lakes-ca-master-thread.html)

boolean64 Dec 19, 2022 12:18 pm

Any recent updates on Titanium breakfast benefit (where? how does it work?) and if the ski valet is up and running?

Side note, any restaurant recommendations in the village much appreciated.

365RoadWarrior Dec 19, 2022 9:11 pm

My most recent stay was a month ago. Breakfast was a small subset of the full menu of the restaurant. An entrée and a beverage. Beware, if you are looking at the menu online, that any healthy (so-designated by Westin) or strict vegetarian options are not available on the For Elites menu. I chose the breakfast option not knowing this. Drat.

There were okay-looking options on the Elite Menu, just not to my taste.

holocker Apr 12, 2023 5:15 pm

Any recent stays as an Elite for the current breakfast amenity and has anyone had SNAs clear? Thinking about an early May stay.

rajuabju Apr 30, 2023 5:32 pm

Just wrapped up a 4 night stay at the Westin Monache in Mammoth. 3rd time here in the last 6-7ish years, and it was another solid, but not spectacular, stay for our party of 6. I'm a Marriott Platinum and had booked a 2 bedroom room suite, was upgraded to one of the "larger" 2 bedroom suites on the 4th floor which was nice. It was one of the rooms that underwent a renovation a couple years ago, looks like they upgraded everything except the bathrooms which now look a bit dated & out of place. I think the hotel was probably, at best, 2/3 full throughout our stay, which makes sense since its already late April.

Pros: Its still the best option in Mammoth. Hotel and our room were clean. A well stocked kitchen, and a few requests we had were quickly taken care of. We had dinner at Whitebark one night, and it was fine. All the food was good enough, just nothing that stood out as amazing. Service was good (hotel and restaurant not crowded at all). While the bathroom was a bit dated, all of the finishes & furnishings in the bedrooms and living spaces were in good condition.

Cons: Housekeeping was hit or miss. One day they didnt come until nearly 4:30pm. Another day, they simply emptied the trash throughout, quickly (and unprofessionally) made beds. Another day, they missed emptying trash under the kitchen sink. Nothing horrific, just more of an annoyance. Also, as I complain about this every time... 2 elevators is not enough for this hotel. And the hotel wasnt even packed, yet the wait for an elevator could easily be a few minutes each time often completely full during peak times. My usual trick always worked... call the elevator going up, get on, then eventually go down.

Elite Bonvoy Breakfast at Whitebark, very meh. Only about 1/2 the items are available as part of the breakfast benefit, which was annoying. Even the full breakfast menu wasnt all that impressive. But its, again, "fine". One thing I did very much appreciate is that the front desk allowed us to use 3 of our breakfast vouchers on a single day (since we didnt use them on 2 days, and we were a party of 6).

While the Westin Monache is still the only place I'd consider staying, Mammoth really needs another 2-3 upper-tier hotels, similar to what one could find in other major ski resorts throughout Utah and Colorado. Of course, lack of a real airport is what has been holding back Mammoth for a long time now.

We did not make use of the spa or pools, though the pools were packed with many 20's - 30's throughout the afternoons.

sammybk Jun 26, 2023 3:23 pm

Just finished up a quick 2 night stay (late June Friday - Sunday). Had a 40k cert expiring, and was able to top it off to cover one night at 55k. Not a great value on points as cash rate was $350-400/night, but not horrible. Booked a standard room, and received a standard room (no upgrade) as a plat. Hotel didn't seem full. Was happy to get a room that looked fairly recently redone. Everything looked brand new inside - completely different from how I remember the last time I stayed (10+ years ago). The room was ready when we arrived at 1pm and we were able to extend checkout to 2:30pm.

Enjoyed skiing in the morning followed by biking around town and then afternoon at the pool. The pool area was clean and the pool and hot tub were both nicely heated. Enjoyed the pool here much more than our recent stay at the Park Hyatt Aviara. Grabbed sparkling wine 'welcome drinks' from the front desk to bring down to the pool area on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

The hotel seemed to be staffed well. Housekeeping was very good, breakfast was fine, the valet and front desk were friendly and helpful.

EV chargers worked and were free, although the J1772 ones would get hot and error out after ~10%. Some information on the website states they are valet only, which is not true.

dc2005b Aug 23, 2023 9:08 am

After tiring of the rain in Yosemite I made a last minute points booking for one night stay at the Westin. I arrived about an hour after making the reservation and was checked in early and had been proactively upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, so a good first impression. The living room of the suite was spacious but the bedroom was cramped, requiring a little shuffle to half close the door and get to one side of the bed but the bed was very comfortable and had nice linens. The bathroom was fairly spacious and could be accessed from either bedroom or living room and had the standard tub/shower combination with curved rod and wall mounted toiletries. The sink dripped constantly and toilet ran occasionally too.

I chose the breakfast as the welcome amenity and after signing a register book that I had received my voucher (a first) I was given the breakfast voucher. At breakfast the next day a very heavily used looking menu listed the options, the portion size of All American Breakfast was huge though quality was not especially high but the setting and service were nice.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a9baadbddd.jpg
Elite Breakfast Menu Choices

The $25 resort fee included in and out self parking in the underground garage and standard wi-fi (no option for enhanced speeds present). My only complaint about this hotel was the loud guests in the pool and hot-tub which are open until 10pm resulting in a lot of noise in my 4th floor room. I would recommend asking for a room on the other side to avoid this problem.

azepine00 Aug 23, 2023 1:16 pm

is there active construction still going on adjacent to hotel?

dc2005b Aug 23, 2023 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 35522005)
is there active construction still going on adjacent to hotel?

Yes there is a crane visible next door and work going on but I didn't hear anything over the screaming kids in the pool.