Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just stayed there.

Within one hour of arriving into my room, rec'd a phone call from someone in guest services just to say "We noticed that you're a Platinum level SPG member, which means you're one of most valuable customers, so I wanted to call & say thanks for staying with us and ask if there was anything wrong with the room," etc. I really like it when hotel staff take the time to do that.

They have bowls of earplugs all over the place (lobby, club lounge, tables by elevators) w/ signage apologizing for the renovation work, and "posters" in the lobby showing off fabric samples & pics of what's to come with the remodel, and an offer to visit a "demo" room on display. On a Saturday morning, they waited until 11am to begin this (nice!) but when it began, no earplugs could have dulled that noise. I had a late checkout requested, to get some work done during the day, but bailed early due to the noise.

The Club Lounge is available to Gold's as well as Plat's, per signage in the elevators and at the lounge entrance, where there's also an express checkout box (nice, for when you're doing a grab & go breakfast on your last day). It's temporarily in a small meeting room on the 4th floor, smaller, no windows. They have a computer in there, but couldn't tell if that was for guests or the employees that were on it most of the time. I could understand an employee wanting to be on it---the place wasn't that busy, & if it were me, & I was couped up in that small windowless room all day w/ few visitors, I'd probably need the web outlet too. Maybe needs some kind of small tabletop card or sign distinguishing it as a staff or guest PC. (I've seen club lounges that have both). They had shrimp & pasta and crab rangoons & sauce as hot appetizers (kinda' tasty, but then I was really hungry at the time) and cheeses, fruits, etc. with cheesecake & choc. cookies for deserts. Breakfast hot items were a decent veggie quiche and really good buttermilk pancakes. They had a menu nearby noting different hot food offerings for each morning/evening for the week, so if a business traveller was on a multi-night stay, they wouldn't have the same thing every day. Nice variety, from what I remember reading on it. The front desk agent said for me to inform the lounge attendant of my Plat. status, that Plat's & VIPs get special prices on liquor---the lounge attendant knew nothing of this.

Was "upgraded" to a room on the Club Floor, which is the 14th floor. When renovations are done, the Club Lounge will be on that floor. I asked if there were any suites available and was told "We've upgraded you to a king room on the club floor and you'll need this to access your floor on the elevator" while being handed my key card. End of discussion. I could accept & understand that to mean a "no" on suite availability, but I've seen plenty of agents that will take the time to say "No sir, our suites are fully booked/sold out, but this is the best available room we could upgrade you to (or something like that)" and/or, agents that will say, "Not a problem...let me check & see/make sure"---and usually, if a suite is available, that works.

The room was a "rennovated" room, with "new" everything. The furnishings were def. a little more "stylish"/upscale than your average Sheraton, but that's totally subjective. Nothing on the walls yet, but I'll assume some kind of artsy/decor thingies are on their way. The floor was still a work in progress. While the desk has enough space, I would have preferred an office chair to work from instead of the nice dining-room-type chair. No lounge chair or recliner to just sit & relax or read in, but the new, padded headboard was o.k. for sitting up in bed & reading. The LG Flat Screen TV was a nice change from the "usual" older TVs at a lot of Sheratons. It was Bliss soap, shamp, cond., lotion in the bathroom instead of the usual pantene stuff. Mouthwash would have been nice to have--the housekeeper gladly provided a small bottle on request (& perhaps just missed leaving one in my room?).

One of the elevators wasn't working at all, so the wait was a bit long. Service staff, if they saw one waiting a while, would offer a ride up on the nearby service elevator. Having an indoor heated pool in the winter was nice ---altho the room it was in was pretty dark and not as heated as the pool. Sheraton-brand soap, shamp., cond. are provided in the nearby locker/shower rooms if one so needs w/o returning immediately to their room. The fitness room, open 24/7, is your average Sheraton one (universal weight machine, a couple of treadmills).

The $14ish for parking and $10ish for internet access were annoying. I'd see that in a big "major" city, and concede that Clayton is a "business" & county gov't center of suburban St. Louis, but.... You can save a few $$ on parking if you have the time, by parking for FREE (24/7 and long-term) at the Brentwood Metrolink station (only a 5-minute, $2.00 o/w, two-station trip from the Clayton Metrolink station that is a short walk from the hotel---so short that the "free" hotel shuttle service says it's too short for a van-ride, probably true--a 5-min. walk).

Only 15-20 minutes away from Lambert, and a short walk to Metrolink for getting around St. Louis, it wouldn't be a bad location at all for a St. Louis visitor. It could be a great alternative to an airport hotel for either a visitor and/or a local if it weren't for those _____ parking fees, etc. It would be great if they'd offer a reasonable "Park & Fly" rate.

They said the remodel will be done by March, so it will be interesting to see how all this turns out then.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Any recent stays? I'm considering staying here in a few months. The first page of posts makes me think I should look elsewhere but the last post from January makes it sound like it might be pretty nice now.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
I am currently staying there

JW713 -

I have been staying at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza every week for a couple of months now. The renovation has been ongoing for a few months and I believe by now nearly all rooms have been renovated.

The new fitness center opened last week and I understand it is pretty decent, though I have not visited it yet.

The lounge is not open yet and will be opening soon. As an alternative, they give you coupons (one per day) for a free drink, a free appetizer at the bar and a full buffet breakfast in the restaurant. The lounge should be open by th time you get here.

The shuttle, when available, gives rides to and from the airport and within a 5 mile radius.

The overall service is good, staff is courteous and helpful. Food in the restaurant is average.

As for suite upgrades, they have limited number of suites and a high number of Platinums staying so it is a hit or a miss. Clayton has multiple businesses with only Ritz and the Sheraton as the options plus a Crowne Plaza so the hotels are pretty full always!

I hope this helps!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 1:31 am

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
I stayed there last week and although they knew I was SPG Gold, they gave me an un-renovated room. I checked in on July 4th, so no one was working and I had no idea the place was being renovated. I had been booked into a Queen bed room, and so I asked for a King. The clerk gave me a King, but it was a corner room (906) on the ninth floor and was maybe the worst room I have ever stayed at at a Sheraton Hotel. Worn, bedspread not clean, smallest bathroom in history of 3 star hotels, not even pen or paper or a teabag or a decent toiletry shelf or a bar in the shower for safety, or a computer outlet where we didn't have to pull the lamp out of the socket first, etc etc.
I went down to try to get our room changed back to the Queen bed and they told me they were entirely sold out and there was no other room in the entire hotel to give us. Never mentioned maybe there might be an executive lounge for breakfast or something.
Anyway, my husband was particularly annoyed with the room and the look of the hotel, so when we came home I sent a letter to the general manager.
He replied immediately by email and apologized and offered to credit my account all our charges for the night. I felt this was quite generous as we paid for parking and internet fees and a drink in the lounge. He also seemed to have sent my letter of complaint to a few others in his management group and he said that they were working on improving and would use my specific complaints to learn from.

So overall, it seems that when the renovations are done, this hotel could be a decent visit and I would just call to see when that will happen before you book there.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
I enjoyed the indoor swimming pool, the room i got was large but not to comfortable , the Club Lounge isn't too bad, the airport shuttle was quick and worked very well for me
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Just stayed at this hotel at here are my thoughts:

Nice location.
Rooms are renovated.
Nice lobby and pleasant staff.
Didn't visit the lounge, but it seemed nice.
For those who want to save on parking, there is a residential neighborhood located 1 block behind the hotel (behind forest park pkwy) which is about a 5 minute walk. Overnight parking is ok and 1 hour parking for free during the day is allowed.

Overall, a decent choice if you want to stay at a SPG property. The I-170 always seems to be clear during peak hours which is great. My work location is by the airport and its only a 10 minute drive due to the lack of traffic.

On a side note, I visited Harvest, which is a restaurant located about 5 minutes from hotel. Great place for dinner and must visit if you are in the Clayton area.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel, St. Louis MO

Mrs. Texas Yankee here. If you find yourself in STL and need lodging that's close to the airport, may I recommend the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. I had the pleasure of staying there recently after returning from Asia exhausted and aching from flying coach. Every employee from the shuttle driver to the reservations desk agents to the restaurant manager was polite, professional and knowledgeable and clearly all were happy to be working there. What a nice surprise. Further, the room was well appointed and comfortable and the restaurant food good and reasonably priced. Five stars to the Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel. They deserve your business. :-::-::-::-::-:
Old May 4, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Doing 2 nights in STL next month, 1 night at the Westin for sure. Need to pick either Sheraton (City Center or Clayton Plaza) for the 2nd night (promo hotel hopping). Leaving early AM next day so will spend minimal time in the room. Extra distance to airport not a huge concern. Any recommendation?
Old May 4, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Stayed there one night this week. Nice hotel. Rennovated rooms. Got a room upgrade. Only issue with the upgraded room was that the two windows didn't open up to the outside, but opened up to overlook the indoor swimming pool area... Not too much natural light.

Valet Parking was a little slow. Seemed like there was one Bellman doing double duty, helping customers and retrieving cars.

Nice part of town, easy access to I-64.

Would stay again!
Old May 4, 2011, 1:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
This is actually a nice little property. It's walking distance to some good restaurants and very close to a metrolink stop (easy access downtown, airport, malls etc). It's also a few minutes from the Ritz Carlton which has a great bar.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:51 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
This is a great property in a great location.

Tim the concierge/bell captain remembered me from a trip 1 yr ago in detail and was a great help as always.

Plat recognition without asking..decent small suite.

Club lounge had "real" food for both breakfast and dinner..fantastic.

Morton's is 1block up the hill but it was pretty bad...worst one I've ever been to..the ony positive would be to wait until 9 pm when all appies in the Morton's lounge are 1/2 price.

Received a free drink cert for use in the hotel bar...nice touch and got me in there to watch football instead of in the room.

A consistent, classy, modern smaller hotel.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Checked in here last week and can say that this property has been great!

Platinum upgrade to club floor, all suites sold out on website. Club lounge is fantastic with different things every night that includes free wine and beer too! ^^ Front desk was good with the few requests I made (additional pillows and a humidifier) as well as package delivery.

Don't waste money on valet as the lot is right next to the hotel and easy to get to (they were a little slow the 2 nights I used them too).

Hotel is right next to a Mortons with great service as well.

Overall, things have been great here. Also, only about a 15 minute drive into the city center if that's where you're going.

Edit to add... this week I was pre-confirmed in a suite. While the suite is a little odd-shaped, it is nice that the room is bigger, has a wet-bar and big work space. Also the internet is nice and fast here. All 3 weeks have now had a split bottle of Merlot waiting in my room. Room service can use some work, have had it twice and both times were pretty bad. Learned that breakfast vouchers are available in the lounge for the restaurant should you want to eat down there, not sure what all it covers though.

Last edited by nevansm; Feb 13, 2013 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skye1
The Club Lounge is available to Gold's as well as Plat's, per signage in the elevators and at the lounge entrance, where there's also an express checkout box (nice, for when you're doing a grab & go breakfast on your last day).
I know it's been 6 years, but can anybody confirm if they still make the lounge available to Golds? I'm at 47 nights this year...grrrr....so not quite Plat!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I know it's been 6 years, but can anybody confirm if they still make the lounge available to Golds? I'm at 47 nights this year...grrrr....so not quite Plat!
Was there a few weeks ago and they were giving club access to general members! Half listened to what they were telling my (GM) friend but something about a restaurant fire coupled with inoperable elevators.

Needless to say, club lounge was a zoo and not enjoyable. Property is a dump. Common areas is bad shape, elevator waits are atrocious (due to elevator issues when I was there) and guests directed to use service elevator in order to get around. Unless you need to be in Clayton, would suggest a pass on this place.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Was there a few weeks ago and they were giving club access to general members! Half listened to what they were telling my (GM) friend but something about a restaurant fire coupled with inoperable elevators.

Needless to say, club lounge was a zoo and not enjoyable. Property is a dump. Common areas is bad shape, elevator waits are atrocious (due to elevator issues when I was there) and guests directed to use service elevator in order to get around. Unless you need to be in Clayton, would suggest a pass on this place.
Ooh! Good to know. I was going to stay there because I find the surrounding area to be nicer than downtown (where the other Sheraton is located). But this sounds nightmarish!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.