Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do elites always get lounge access even if not upgraded to a club floor room?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do elites always get lounge access even if not upgraded to a club floor room?
I believe that policy was changed in this last year (not unlike the Prince Gallery in Tokyo) so elites no longer get lounge access without booking the appropriate room category (or perhaps with an appropriate upgrade). Luxury Collection is one of the brands where elite status does not guarantee lounge access.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I believe that policy was changed in this last year (not unlike the Prince Gallery in Tokyo) so elites no longer get lounge access without booking the appropriate room category (or perhaps with an appropriate upgrade). Luxury Collection is one of the brands where elite status does not guarantee lounge access.
I'm perfectly aware of the way Bonvoy changed the LC lounge access rule, but some properties have apparently been continuing to give lounge access to all high tier elites. In the past, this property had a particularly good lounge, which tended to make up for some of the very small rooms as well as the rooms with only interior windows.

However, if there's no lounge access for AMB, this hotel is dead to me too (like the PG) unless I were to find a particularly good rate with lounge access. I'm not going to pay the extra nightly charge for lounge access when the rate difference is the same for one and for two people.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:28 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm perfectly aware of the way Bonvoy changed the LC lounge access rule, but some properties have apparently been continuing to give lounge access to all high tier elites. In the past, this property had a particularly good lounge, which tended to make up for some of the very small rooms as well as the rooms with only interior windows.

However, if there's no lounge access for AMB, this hotel is dead to me too (like the PG) unless I were to find a particularly good rate with lounge access. I'm not going to pay the extra nightly charge for lounge access when the rate difference is the same for one and for two people.

I'm staying in the club floor right now as I type at the Nines. I just asked the front desk, and their guest services said: "as a titanium and above, you will have lounge access no matter which floor you stay at."

I stayed a different floor before and they gave me lounge access as a titanium.

Hope this helps.
dgreen12, kennycrudup and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:06 am

Can someone clarify the breakfast benefits at the Nines? Staying there in a few weeks with a friend, one room booked, I'm Titanium.

From reading this thread it looks like I can forego the welcome points for $40 credit for breakfast at Urban Farmer. Is that still the case? Is it $40 per person staying in the room or $40 total?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:28 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bestcoastflyer
Can someone clarify the breakfast benefits at the Nines? Staying there in a few weeks with a friend, one room booked, I'm Titanium.

From reading this thread it looks like I can forego the welcome points for $40 credit for breakfast at Urban Farmer. Is that still the case? Is it $40 per person staying in the room or $40 total?
Hey bestcoastflyer! At The Luxury Collection properties, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members receive one Elite Welcome Gift of their choice. They can choose 1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1. For more information, please click on the following link to our Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, Section 4.3.c.iii. - Elite Welcome Gift: http://bit.ly/2BGXlHA.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bestcoastflyer

From a stay this weekend: $40 per room per day. (Or possibly $20/person, I was staying with 2 people, not sure if it would have been different if I was staying alone.) Used as just a cash credit toward the bill. Enough for one main dish and maybe a coffee or juice per person. On the weekends, at least, it was possible to use the credit until noon, which was very nice to have, and there were quite a few more lunch-y options you could use the credit toward on the brunch menu if you wanted. Did not appear there's any provision for the tip in the $40 credit so I tipped on the full amount of our bill, including on the comped $40.

Also, re: discussion above: did not get upgraded to the club floor, was still given access to the club lounge as a Titanum. Restaurant breakfast is definitely nicer than the club lounge breakfast, but club is a nice option to have if you just want to grab something quickly, or for getting a cup of coffee since there's no coffee supplies in the room unless you make a special request. Club lounge breakfast offerings were all continental, only hot food there was oatmeal.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Just stayed at The Nines this past weekend on an award stay. Upgraded to deluxe corner suite (city view), early checkin (noon), late checkout (4PM), no club access as Platinum. Room and service (all around) were fantastic - no complaints. Breakfast was 2x20 (2 guests, 20 each) and we were able to stay within this easily - breakfast was delicious and quick to arrive.

Note that the hotel was not busy at all - checkin and checkout, valet pickup, etc. were not issues. I imagine that at peak times the checkin process out front can be chaotic as there is only space for about 4 cars in the drop-off area.
CMK10 and mnmag like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 4/3 to 4/4

Location: My first time at the hotel in four years and my first time in Downtown Portland since 2018. I had been warned that it now resembled Beirut and wasn't safe. The area around the hotel has seen some damage from protests and a number of the nearby businesses are boarded up. There are also more homeless people than there were and they are often camped in tents on sidewalks. Overall though I don't think it's measurably different and I did not feel unsafe near the hotel. I was able to walk to a lot of my favorite spots and being able to catch the TriMet from across the street is great.

Hotel: Glad to see key cards are required to access the floors. Valet parking is still operating as are both restaurants and the bar. I believe the lounge is closed though.

Check In: I arrived at 2:10 Pm and it did take a few minutes for them to find me a suite as I'd used a SNA. Staff were friendly if a bit overwhelmed (there was just one agent at the desk and multiple phone calls came in).

Room: A really good use of a SNA. Full living room, mini bar, large bathroom (though one with a lot of dead space) and a really nice bedroom with views in two directions. Wifi worked well and the room looks spectacular though I do wish they'd go the Internet TV route. Also there's no coffeemaker.

Breakfast: As a Titanium I got a $40 credit at the restaurant. An entree, side, juice and coffee was only $29. This was really nice.

This remains one of my favorite US hotels and I encourage everyone to stay here even now.
symbols and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
$40 does not cover breakfast for 2...

Quite disappointed the credit for breakfast is only $40.
with 2 people it doesn't come close to covering the cost of breakfast and they provide no alternate benefit to Titanium members for the lounge being closed... Nothing, nada, zilch...
Tanic and symbols like this.

Last edited by TravelGuy1965; Jun 18, 2021 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Checked in today for 1N stay after checking out of Marriott Waterfront. Pre upgraded to Studio Corner suit 10xx. I asked FD regarding $40 breakfast credit the gentlemen said wait a minute you may have more then he checked with his fellow coworker another FD and confirmed $50 total per room with the extra $10 on them, which is better than expected. I really like the spacious and bright room, much better than Marriott waterfront where I only got a higher 15xx room as river view rooms sold out due to conference. Breakfast is $20 per guest, yesterday I got $26 charge including tip, today I ordered similar entry and the gentlemen waiter told me that he managed to find cheap yogurt :-) so no need for me to pay then I left $5 cash tip.
symbols likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Update: Due to checkout rush yesterday PM, I didn't check the bill. I just found out today I only got $40 breakfast credit and the rest $10+ went to my AMEX card. I called The Nines and the FD acknowledged that then promptly issued $10 to my AMEX card. I confirmed with him that $50 credit to Titanium and Ambassador due to lounge closure and $40 to Platinum.
dgreen12, symbols and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
It's been almost six months since The Nines got some attention on FlyerTalk.

This was a last minute trip to Portland for the MLS Championships so I booked at The Nines in a King, Superior room. I reached out to the Ambassador Team to see if I could get a Your24 Request for 10P-10P as we would be arriving late in the evening but was informed that these requests needed to be made 48h in advance. They did graciously work out an arrangement with the hotel to provide a 8pm checkout which worked for us and we were upgraded into a Corner Deluxe King Room.

The Lounge remains to be closed but the Ambassador Breakfast Credit for 2 was $60 which was very nice in my opinion.

All of the recent posts and reviews on here stays true and the Nines is a very nice hotel in downtown Portland and conveniently located.
CMK10 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:32 am

Zero ambassador status recognition

Just checked out of a slightly disappointing stay. SNU failed. I texted with the hotel in advance to let them know this was a rare personal stay and would really appreciate an upgrade. But nothing.

No status recognition at all at check in. Was given a really strange answer about the lounge being closed. My wife asked about the breakfast and wasn’t given clear directions about amount. No upgrade. No personal note in the room. No amenity or anything sent to make up for the lack or upgrade or lounge.

Folio came morning of checkout with breakfast still on there. They took off $40/day for the breakfast, but charged us the overage (mostly gratuity… but STILL!) even we we said “hey, isn’t it supposed to be $50 for ambassador?

Wouldn’t stay here again on a personal stay. Fine rooms for a business stay, but disappointed with the lack of perks on my personal weekend stay.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Not atypical and I no longer recommend this hotel

Originally Posted by DrRobot
Just checked out of a slightly disappointing stay. SNU failed. I texted with the hotel in advance to let them know this was a rare personal stay and would really appreciate an upgrade. But nothing.

No status recognition at all at check in.
Fine rooms for a business stay, but disappointed with the lack of perks on my personal weekend stay.
This hotel, even in the SPG glory days rarely upgraded to a suite as there are so few available, they pretty much sell all they have. Rooms here as most have noted are peculiarly-shaped, etc. The restaurants are good, once the lounge was excellent but gets over-run with kids, so I no longer go there.

Add to that the bloody curse that is Marriott and what do you expect?

I just happen to be cancelling my Marriott AMEX card after I type this. I used my last two free nightst and will now take airline miles if I have to stay at a Marriott (Sadly I have maybe 5 faves over the world, all former SPG) and pay with my AMEX Platinum Delta.

This is a clever hotel with nice F&B but not worth dealing with especially since the parking garage down the hill has become a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.