FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/684523-nines-luxury-collection-portland-master-thread.html)

happy_spg_plat Oct 28, 2008 12:15 am

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Yep, I stayed there on the first night (10/20) that they were accepting online reservations and I'm back again this week. The hotel is absolutely fantastic! One of the nicest Starwood (non-resort) properties I've seen in years. The rooms, lobby, gym, exec/club lounge, and restaurant are amazing. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone staying in the Portland area; after many stays over at the Westin nearby, this is a very welcome addition to town with incredible upscale quality and top-notch service. ^^

SanDiego1K Oct 28, 2008 12:59 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Starwood forum, happy_spg_plat. Thank you for the first report on a stay at this hotel.

ws8n Oct 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Walked by the hotel....noticed there were alike 6-7 valet/bellboys, some of them previously working at the westin.

Will try them out next time in town.

How's the rooms/lounge? The westin is in need for some updates.

lesliebmc Nov 2, 2008 1:36 am

I have booked the Nines for 5 nights the end of May for our first trip to Portland. The reviews of the hotel have made me happy with that decision. But now I need to know what the area around the hotel is like?

Is there a lot to do in walking distance? Good food, preferably vegetarian or heavy on the vegetables? Microbrewery? Can we enjoy the area without a car? Thanks for the help.

happy_spg_plat Nov 2, 2008 7:23 am

Tons to do in the area, it is actually right across the street from Pioneer Square and is less that a block away from the MAX station stop to grab public transportation. You can easily walk from the hotel up to the Pearl District which has a ton of great restaurants and bars. If you are looking for local brews nearby, be sure to check out Henry's on 12th and Burnside (over 100 beers on the menu and great food) as well as Deschutes Brewery Public House between 10th and 11th on Davis (great food and beer as well). A few extra blocks further is the Rogue Brewery Public House between 13th and 15th on Flanders.

You will find plenty of nice, smaller vegetarian options over in the Pearl...enjoy your trip!

bigguyinpasadena Nov 2, 2008 7:42 am

Walking tours-fantastic

There is a visitors center in Pioneer Square which has several walking tours(not free-but very cheap)I highly recommend them.
With five days you should be able to get out and do some hiking in the gorgeous area surrounding Portland.

satori Nov 2, 2008 7:58 am

The Nines has a set rate of $249 per night, however, you can drop the rate to $199.50 using a 1,000 points Starwood 50% off award for up to 5 nights.

SPG American Express card holders receive annual 50% off certificate.

Even bigger savings are to be found at aloft hotel Cascade Station Portland Airport where the nightly rate is listed at $139 most nights. Reduce this to $79 using SPG 50 award.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 4, 2008 9:33 am

This weekend? Plat amenities.

I just called the Nines and considering a change away from Hilton to this prop for the coming weekend. Got conflicting stories from staff on P benefits. They do have a Club lounge which is great. But I was told this was not a benefit extended to Ps unless you pay a upcharge. The room upgrade is supposed to be to a higher floor only. Awaiting a call back from GM to clarify all. The Nines even with a SPG50 is at least $90 more per night than the Hilton which is a great property in our opinion. We will see if the Nines can win us over.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 4, 2008 9:38 am

Heard back.

From staff. As a P upgraded to 11th floor. Not suites or junior suites. Access to Club on 12 with presentations all day. Includes beverages. Will give it a try.

bigguyinpasadena Nov 4, 2008 11:01 am

I look forwarward to your trip report RTWSTARALLIANCE :D

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 4, 2008 11:43 am

Will post it soon.

A Lounge option in PDX is nice. Thanks.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 7, 2008 2:25 pm

the Nines. Not. Maybe a two.

Preface: In PDX for a client dinner this evening.

Rate: Less than $200 using a SPG50 cert..

Transportation: I took Trimet in. Get off at the 5th and Morrison Street stop.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: I arrived early and was given a very small room. After asking about what level of P benefits the Hotel offers was upgraded to a "suite". No amenity offered. Given access to Lounge.

Perks: Upgrade and Lounge access.

Lounge: The Lounge is a intimate space. Plush would describe it. There is a host. I arrived late in the morning and breakfast was about to be cleared. More later. Lacated on 12.
***** I took my client into the Lounge before and after dinner. We both agree this was a great place to have access to. The staff is excellent and friendly. Open bar.

Room: I have a interior "suite" with two windows onto the courtyard. You enter onto carpet and there is a living room with a flat panel tv and dvd player. There is a closet in this room.

The bedroom is standard with a desk. In here you have another entertainment set-up. The dvd player in this room does not work. If you sense a lack of excitement. You got it.

Bathroom: This is a handicap "suite" so the bathroom takes the back part of the room. Nothing exciting but it does have a tub. The smaller room noted above did not have a tub. I think the front desk should be advising us of these things. Marble floor. Gilchrist & Soames amenities.

Internet: The wired internet in this room did not work. The engineer came in and we had to wire direct to the wall. Now the phone on the desk does not work. The wireless in the building at places only has a 20% signal strength. Internet is comp.. They use ibahn.

Gym: Not been.

Spa: ?

Eating venues: The bar and restaurant which is open is on 8. The top floor restaurant is not slated to open until at least May 2009.
***** I dined with my client at Urban Farmer. The Phil cheesesteak sandwich was excellent. My dinner was over cooked. Side portions are small. They did not have my drink. OK to try once but that was it.

Local markets: Lots of stuff around here.

Local area: The center of PDX.

Negatives: Lack of P recognition straight away. Technical stuff. Staff still trying to get it.

Closing: I have been to a number of hotels in PDX. I do not see greatness here and it will interesting to see if they can pull it off. At the rate I am paying let alone rack I would have to favor the Hilton Executive Tower. The only real appeal here is the Lounge. Facing inward towards the courtyard does nothing for me. The slam of the service area doors is really annoying also. They have some work to do here!

iflypdx Nov 7, 2008 6:52 pm

My colleagues were very pleased

FWIW: I had 2 colleagues from PHL in town this week and they stayed at The Nines. Both were very complementary of the staff, rooms, workout room and breakfast service. Said they much prefer it to the Westin and Hotel Monaco where they normally stay when in PDX. They said it was "approaching a Four Seasons or Ritz experience." Their only complaint was that the service was "a little too eager." I guess if that's the worst complaint that's not too bad!

wsucougarchick05 Nov 7, 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by lesliebmc (Post 10615427)
I have booked the Nines for 5 nights the end of May for our first trip to Portland. The reviews of the hotel have made me happy with that decision. But now I need to know what the area around the hotel is like?

Is there a lot to do in walking distance? Good food, preferably vegetarian or heavy on the vegetables? Microbrewery? Can we enjoy the area without a car? Thanks for the help.

As other posters have said, you'll be smack dab in the middle of downtown Portland. And there's plenty to do.

LivePDX.com is a good resource.

satori Nov 8, 2008 8:39 am

Stayed at the Nines night before last. I was placed on 11th floor on opposite side of hotel from elevators. The hotel rooms are in a square around an open interior atrium so half the rooms face interior and half are exterior rooms.

The hotel is floors 6-15 of the building (no floor 13 - told it is storage area). Floor 6 is conference rooms. Floor 7 is Gym/Business center and rooms. Floor 8 is lobby reception and restaurants. There are several seating areas in the large open atrium of the 8th floor. A lovely environment.

Floor 12 is the lounge. As platinum I was given access to 12th floor lounge. Key card required for elevator to access any floor besides 8 and ground floor. My key card allowed access to Floor 11 with my room and Floor 12 with lounge. No need to check in with lounge staff and I was never asked for my name or room number. The fact you are there on 12th floor means you have lounge access on your room card.

The concierge staff were friendly and there was always at least two staff members every time I visited. I asked for wine and received a 10 or 12 oz portion. That took care of me for the New York Times reading hour.

Lounge is kind of dark. A great place for evening relaxing and every time I visited, there were only a few people in a space with seating for about 25 to 30. Lounge has large screen Sony Vaio computer for guest access.

Lounge seating only has two small tables conducive to eating breakfast. If those are in use, then you are left with couches and cushion chairs and coffee tables for eating.

My bedroom was small 12'x13' and I bet I was placed in the room with the smallest single window in the hotel (2.5 ft wide on a 13" wall). Unless they have a windowless room, I can't imagine a room with less natural light. (Interior atrium facing rooms have the large atrium with a glass ceiling.) The lack of window light caused me to pay particular attention to the four room lamps which I must say were absolutely gorgeous. Most rooms seemed to have much more window space from my observations when studying the hotel from the street outside. Perhaps I would have fared better just paying the $249 regular rate and receiving complimentary parking (a $32 value) rather than using the SPG50 half off rack rate for $199.50 available for 1,000 Starpoints. Particularly since I paid $16.50 to self-park in a garage on the next block.

Issues:
-Electronic mini-bar in hotel room was locked and front desk said an engineer would need to come to room to unlock it. I passed on that as I was only curious to see contents, not buy contents.
-I had to call desk twice before my room telephone worked for making outside calls.
-Keep that key card in your hand for using elevator or you find yourself on ground floor or 8th floor before you know it.
-I received a phone call at 12:51 am. Nobody on the line. Desk staff said there was no way to know who had called.
-After taking over 200 photos around the hotel over 18 hours, on my last photo before check-out I was asked by concierge what I planned to do with photos. I told him I write a hotel blog at BoardingArea.com. He informed me that I do not have permission to publish photos of the hotel private property and I need media permission from a hotel representative. The staff member who I am supposed to get permission from was not at the hotel yesterday.

Compliments:
-Bath towels are heavenly. Wrap up in the 6'x3' plush towel. (I actually measured it.)
-Room has a luxury feel, although a little small and I was disappointed with the small window and lack of natural light for my assigned room. Although I think I prefer the exterior room to an interior room with windows visible to diners and guests on the 8th floor.
-Complimentary wireless internet access. Worked fine in my 11th floor room.
-Complimentary local calls and toll-free calls.
-42" Phillips HDTV
-Boston Electronics clock/radio with remote.
-Great shower and marble tile and second compliment to towels.
-Staff quite sociable, and be assured everyone will greet you and the lounge staff will engage you in conversation. Can be a treat or annoying depending on your disposition.
- Bed was quite comfortable with all the bedding amenities.
-Lovely chandelier lighting in halls and small chandelier in room.
-Exercise room has lots of equipment.
- Interesting art designs and furniture arrangement in the open space lobby atrium. Plenty of places to group and socialize or place yourself on display in the seating areas for a single.

Overall opinion: The Nines has a feel of luxury, but still some rough edges to smooth out.