Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Staying at the Sheraton as gold on a paid stay. Booked a regular king room and checked in via app. App claims i got upgraded to executive room with lounge access wasnt expecting an upgrade with gold but nice to hear) I get my key no executive room no lounge access unless i want to pay $75-$90 per night extra. Booked this hotel on nonrefundable rate when i was plat the dropped down in status. Otherwise id have gone somewhere else. The room itself looks fine i just wish marriott would get their act together and not have situations where the app is telling me a different room than what i got.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I always thought the elite benefit applies will be the status at check in rather than booking.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
It seems its the status at checkin, however that isn't really the issue i have. The problem i have is being told i am upgraded the day of in the app and then finding out that is not the case when i get my key.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There is quite the gamut of varying opinions on this thread regarding the hotel choices.

I'm headed to Sydney in a week or so and was curious if someone had an opinion on the best spot to stay for a solo traveler?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm headed to Sydney in a week or so and was curious if someone had an opinion on the best spot to stay for a solo traveler?
The opinions are as varied as the circumstances for each traveler. Likewise, "solo traveler" isn't quite enough information: is it your first time in Sydney? Work or pleasure? What's your budget, and are you using points? Are you into nightlife, shopping, beach, museums? Are upgrades important to you? How about lounge access?

Depending on your answers, you could end up with Marriott Circular Quay, Sheraton, Pier One, or even the Four Points. Personally, I'd stay at the Sheraton again, because lounge and breakfast as well as access to shopping and public transport are important to me, but YMMV.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
The opinions are as varied as the circumstances for each traveler. Likewise, "solo traveler" isn't quite enough information: is it your first time in Sydney? Work or pleasure? What's your budget, and are you using points? Are you into nightlife, shopping, beach, museums? Are upgrades important to you? How about lounge access?

Depending on your answers, you could end up with Marriott Circular Quay, Sheraton, Pier One, or even the Four Points. Personally, I'd stay at the Sheraton again, because lounge and breakfast as well as access to shopping and public transport are important to me, but YMMV.
Thanks for the prompts - to answer,
a. Visiting for fun. Have been before, but many many years ago
b. Planning to use points - all except the 4P are 35000 points per night
c. Public transit and sightseeing are primary goals. Mix in a little nightlife too.
d. Lounge access is preferable. Upgrades are nice, but as a solo traveler who puts the DND sign on for the whole stay, pretty good with whatever.

With the above, would you still recommend the Sheraton? Was eyeing that or the Circular Quay. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
c. Public transit and sightseeing are primary goals. Mix in a little nightlife too.
d. Lounge access is preferable. Upgrades are nice, but as a solo traveler who puts the DND sign on for the whole stay, pretty good with whatever.

With the above, would you still recommend the Sheraton? Was eyeing that or the Circular Quay. Thanks!
I haven't stayed at the Circular Quay Marriott, but then I tend to prefer Sheratons vs Marriotts (I'm biased, coming from the SPG side). Circular Quay is ideal for the ferries, and walking to Opera House, etc. But outside of that, there's very little nightlife and good dining around (touristy restaurants). The Sheraton is smack in the middle of the CBD area, with the subway station and bus to Bondi Beach just across the road. You're also within a manageable walking distance of Darling Harbour, Chinatown, etc.

I found the service at the Sheraton worthy of a St Regis, to be fair. The lounge is perhaps the best in the system (although the food offerings get trimmed on weekends as there is a high influx of locals staying over to party vs heavily business-oriented midweek). I didn't have much luck with upgrades beyond a park view exec room, but then I was staying 7 nights on points and no SNAs. Shorter stays/using SNAs might yield a better outcome.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't stayed at the Circular Quay Marriott, but then I tend to prefer Sheratons vs Marriotts (I'm biased, coming from the SPG side). Circular Quay is ideal for the ferries, and walking to Opera House, etc. But outside of that, there's very little nightlife and good dining around (touristy restaurants). The Sheraton is smack in the middle of the CBD area, with the subway station and bus to Bondi Beach just across the road. You're also within a manageable walking distance of Darling Harbour, Chinatown, etc.

I found the service at the Sheraton worthy of a St Regis, to be fair. The lounge is perhaps the best in the system (although the food offerings get trimmed on weekends as there is a high influx of locals staying over to party vs heavily business-oriented midweek). I didn't have much luck with upgrades beyond a park view exec room, but then I was staying 7 nights on points and no SNAs. Shorter stays/using SNAs might yield a better outcome.
Thanks
Old May 4, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Have stayed at the Marriott, Sheraton, and Pier one -- most recently the Sheraton in October. Here is my review comparing the 3 from shortly after that trip:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30357064-post265.html

The overall conclusion is that SOTP remains my favorite hotel among the 3 (if you have lounge access), the Marriott is the best located if a first time visitor, and Pier One is nice but removed (it's about a 5 minute walk around and under the bridge from the PH) which is great for some but can be difficult for others -- especially if a first time visitor who isn't comfortable with the longer walk everywhere.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:57 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Does anybody have an email or contact at the Pier One for an upcoming stay?
Old May 9, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Staying at the Sheraton as gold on a paid stay. Booked a regular king room and checked in via app. App claims i got upgraded to executive room with lounge access wasnt expecting an upgrade with gold but nice to hear) I get my key no executive room no lounge access unless i want to pay $75-$90 per night extra. Booked this hotel on nonrefundable rate when i was plat the dropped down in status. Otherwise id have gone somewhere else. The room itself looks fine i just wish marriott would get their act together and not have situations where the app is telling me a different room than what i got.
Twice now (December and April) I have had the App show I had been assigned a Junior Suite at Four Points Sukhumvit in Bangkok but only had an upgrade to a corner room.
I did not bother to mention it at check in as I knew I was not really entitled to it due to Gold status and only booking the lowest room category but before my April stay did request a particular room # which was next category up and received it.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by Zol
Does anybody have an email or contact at the Pier One for an upcoming stay?
Check your inbox. Staying there very soon and got an email from the Guest Services Supervisor.
Zol likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ended up booking the Sheraton and wanted to say thanks for the advice. The service here is excellent.

They let me check in at 8 am and I have a corner grand exec room, which is more than I need.

^

also thanks to @Duke787 too
RafKa and Duke787 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:55 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mpw81
Check your inbox. Staying there very soon and got an email from the Guest Services Supervisor.
Do let us know what the upgrade/treatment is like
Old May 12, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Pier One. 4 night stay stay. 2 nights appeared to be sold out and we were already booked into a waterside deluxe ( room below suites, I believe). Apologized 2x at check-in that no upgrades were available. Service has been fantastic. Location is great. The tacos from Kerrigan (the "food truck" on the pier are delicious. Local craft beers at the bar are solid.

They have an Elite Ambassador that reached out via email ahead of time and came over to the desk when we checked in and walked us around the first floor showing us around and explaining benefits.

Very happy I cancelled my award nights stay at the IC and am paying a decent rate (with double nights and points promo).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.