Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Haven't stayed there in years. Many folks think the best hotel in downtown Detroit is the Athenium but, of course, it's not Marriott.
Old May 29, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Stayed there a couple of weekends ago and also in December, and it was fine. A big place and a bit spread out, but up-to-date and in a good location.

There's also a Courtyard across the street that's connected to the Ren Cen by skywalk if you want to try that option.
Old May 29, 2006, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by mlscribe
Stayed there a couple of weekends ago and also in December, and it was fine. A big place and a bit spread out, but up-to-date and in a good location.
Well, I am glad to hear that the hotel has improved. I last stayed there in 2001 and had a truly awful experience. I found myself drifting over to Hilton. I was disappointed by the way Marriott handled the problem: I got the impression that the hotel was so bad I should grin and bear it, the CS people could help. At least it's good that the hotel is now better than it was six years ago.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:08 pm

Marriott-family hotels in Detroit

I am trying to decide between the Marriott Renaissance Center and the Courtyard Downtown. The advantages of the courtyard seem to be a larger room and LCD TV. Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Ringside
I am trying to decide between the Marriott Renaissance Center and the Courtyard Downtown. The advantages of the courtyard seem to be a larger room and LCD TV. Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
I much prefer the CY over the MHRS
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I much prefer staying in Windsor. Cheaper, cleaner, and safer. At least IMHO. No Marriotts over there, so I prefer the Holiday Inn Select about a mile up the road from the Ambassador Bridge.

(Ask for an upper floor facing North and you get a view of the Ren Cen!)
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
If you don't like heights, the Ren Center doesn't start until the 9th floor. Also, I have to crank the heat up at night, otherwise I freeze.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I prefer the CY, easier to get in and out of and the rooms are larger.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:17 am

I've not stayed at the Marriott myself, but I know plenty of colleagues who have. Almost universally, they've not been happy with the experience. Until the restorations of a few of the historical hotels (i.e., the Cadillac) are completed, I think downtown Detroit will be lacking someplace one could truly recommend.

You may want to consider other nearby areas instead. Southfield and Dearborn aren't too far away and they may have nicer options for you.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
If you don't like heights, the Ren Center doesn't start until the 9th floor. Also, I have to crank the heat up at night, otherwise I freeze.
I too find the Ren Center in winter painfully cold but after a couple of complaints, I started calling their Housekeeping when I land at the airport and asking them to pre-warm the room for me. They actually do it about 75% of the time when I ask first. I do love the views from the higher floors and there's a lot to do in the Ren Center complex (even a movie theatre) so I am not bored on a longer trip. I have never stayed at the Courtyard so I can't really compare but I like the facilities at the Ren Center enough that I haven't been tempted to try somewhere else. The rooms are OK, not stellar, just your generic Marriott room, but the view and the option to get out, stretch my legs, and not have to have every meal at the hotel bar without actually having to drive anywhere really appeal to me.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingWookiee
Until the restorations of a few of the historical hotels (i.e., the Cadillac) are completed, I think downtown Detroit will be lacking someplace one could truly recommend.
Au contraire: http://www.atheneumsuites.com/02/main.html
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:14 pm

We stayed at the Renaissance Center over Thanksgiving 2004. The serviced was non-existant. Tried calling "At Your Service" but never received an answer. Had to physically go down to the lobby to order room service. I guess they were all tending to Ashley Simpson and the MTV crew who were all staying there at the same time. When watching her MTV show we recognized the hotel and realized that it was the exact same day that we were there. I hope she received better service than we did.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Ive been to the Ren Cen Marriott tons of times for events and meetings. I agree that service downright sucks. The property itself though is probably the nicest in downtown Detroit. If your looking for a more well rounded experience, I suggest either the HGI Downtown Detroit or either the Southfield Marriott (15 mins from Downtown) or the Livonia Marriott (20 mins from Downtown).
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:16 pm
glg

It's been a few years, but I thought the CY was nice. They're connected by a skyway, so it's easy to get between. There wasn't a fitness center in the Ren (this may have changed?). Instead they sent you across the street to the CY. Nice pool and fitness center in the CY (bigger than your usual CY).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They have both been under constuction over the last several years. We tend to stay at the best rate between the two, but always stay at the CY if it's available at a good rate. We have consitently received better upgrades at the CY. Marriott gets a small plus for the view and Seldom Blues lounge. CY has better rooms, better upgrades, and Sweet Lorraines restaurant. Access to the People Mover is a little easier at the CY (if it's running).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.