Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
You're in Cowtown now and with oil at $60+/bbl, they know they can get that sort of coin (rightly or wrongly) out of midweek business travelers. Having said that, when are your dates ? Do you have AAA/CAA ? I'm guessing not due to your member name. How about using a *wood promo if applicable:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot..._DRE_H&back=-1

Admittedly, my stays in YYC tend to be weekend (although not always) as I'm local. As a Plat, you should get upgraded at the least to a whirlpool suite and have Club access.
I just had to bump this - the reference to the price of oil is hilarious.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:36 pm

Just checked out of the Sheraton Eau Claire in Calgary after spending 5 nights there.

Amazing hotel, and deserves to be #1 on TripAdvisor, as well as all the rave reviews it gets on here.

Checked in on a Sunday night, as a Preferred Corporate guest. Was not upgraded rooms, but was offered access to the Club Lounge for Hors Dourves in the evening - very nice for no status!

When i got into my room, I did find a few hairs in my bed. This was dealt with by the hotel in an excellent manner, which involved my sheets being changed, a personal apology from the manager, a delivery of some chocolate, and apple and some "sweet dreams" tea, and 500 starpoints. Great way to deal with a problem!

The club lounge is AMAZING. It is absolutely beautiful, with a 47" LCD, 2 seperate rooms, a big bar, and unbelievable food! Including things like Shrimp Wonton, Duck, Bison, Beed, Chicken.. all luxurious, chef prepared items. As well as the usual cheese, veggies and desert. Drinks were not free, but reasonably priced. (A ceaser was 6.25, a beer was 5.50). The club lounge has no chits/bills to sign in the evenings (if you dont drink booze), so anyone could come in there and eat for free. Breakfast they make you sign something. Even if you arent given breakfast, it is only 11.99 buffet, includes all juices/coffee/tea, as well as bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, ham, pancakes, waffles etc..

On Wednesday evenings, between 5:30-7:30, the GM and other hotel employees are in the club lounge getting to know their preferred guests, as well as FREE booze! Quite a nice touch!

The rooms are large, a seperate kitchen/living room area, french doors into a large bedroom with a King bed, and a walkthrough bathroom/sink area with a seperate shower/toilet area.

The service is amazing, everyone always says hello when passing by, and makes sure everything is goign well with your stay.

I check in as a new Gold in 2 days, will report if I get any upgrades - hoping for the breakfast, as it was AMAZING.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Do report back how you fare as a Gold, as I'm considering booking this hotel for a Friday-Sunday stay next month as a Gold.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Do report back how you fare as a Gold, as I'm considering booking this hotel for a Friday-Sunday stay next month as a Gold.
Checked in last night.

As a Gold I was "upgraded" to a Starwood Preferred Guest Floor. The room was a tiny bit larger, and came with "bathrobe, bottled water, turndown service, bath gel, and shoeshine service on request"

Not much difference, but I did get access to the club lounge again for the evening food, which is the big perk anyways. I asked for breakfast and she said only for platinums.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:22 pm

Just wanted to add some pictures of my stay as a Preferred Corporate Guest at the Sheraton Eau Claire (no upgrade - normal room).

Last edited by kendalh; Oct 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just an update on this property, they raised our corporate rate 30 dollars per night, and their normal prices even more. Although this is the best in Calgary, I will now be moving over to the Westin (essentially next door), due to much lower prices. It was very nice for hotel hopping since you could pay a weekly parking rate in an Impark lot between these 2 hotels and just hop down the street from one to the other every night.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Anyone have any good restaurant recommendations within walking distance of this property?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:49 pm

Joey's is a great restaurant. It is in the Eau Claire Market across the street.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by vandalby
Anyone have any good restaurant recommendations within walking distance of this property?
Not sure if this reply will work, but...

If you go to the website where the "chowhounds" hang out and click on Western Canada, you'll find lots of good people willing to give recommendations. They always helped me out when I was going to Calgary or Vancouver.
I only remember one place down by Eau Claire and it was a breakfast place, called 1886. I didn't even mind having to stand outside in the winter to get in!! The Joey's previously mentioned is I believe really Joey Tomato's. It's a Canadian chain. It's a decent place. I haven't been to that specific one, but I've been to the one out in the Crowchild area. It's kind of an upscale TGIF to me - big bar scene, varied menu. There is also the River Cafe in the area. It's supposed to be very good. It focuses on local/regional fresh ingredients. If you search for it on the web, you can find their menus.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I would TOTALLY recommend the River Cafe, but only if you're looking for 'upscale' dining - it is excellent, and focusses on local products, has great atmosphere out on Prince's Island, but it is NOT inexpensive. (Corkage is free on Sundays, though, and there's a wine store in the Eau Claire market.)

I've also always thought the fondue's (& the rest of the menu, too) at Barclays (in the Sheraton) sounded good, but I've never tried them.

If you're looking for something more casual than the River Cafe, I would also recommend the Chowhound website, which has the added advantage that you can search for the type of food you prefer. (i.e. steak, pizza, italian, sushi, whatever....)
Old May 6, 2009, 12:00 pm

I'm not usually someone who eats in hotel restaurants, but 2 of my favorite restaurants in downtown calgary (where I work) are in hotels.

Catch is in the Hyatt, with an entrance off of 8th Avenue, and is great for seafood. If you're not interested, or didn't come to Alberta for seafood, The Keg in the Westin is a member of a great local chain of steakhouses. I recommend the Prime Rib.

A more formal steakhouse is Cesar's, which is an old school place with dark wood panneling, and a great steak sandwich, its at 512 4th avenue.

Michael
Old May 6, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by vandalby
Actually, the last time I was there (March), the Finn McCool's just off the lobby was quite good and more interesting than I thought it would be.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old May 6, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Joey Tomatoes across the street has unbelievable food. I love everything on the menu.
Old May 6, 2009, 5:51 pm

CanuckFlyHigh, Joey Tomatoes was great and is now renamed Joey's as I mentioned earlier. It is a great restaurant!
Old May 6, 2009, 7:46 pm

River Cafe is excellent. For something unique to western Canada, try Earles. LOVE the dry ribs.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.