Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:58 am

Back from timeshare promotion

We have been back about a week now from our stay at the Kierland villas. It was a great stay. We arrived around 11 am and were able to check in early, which was very nice. The villa was the small one bedroom that was on a golf course side. The cost for 4 nights was $424 with tax. We recieved a $75 resort credit just for staying with Starwood. Then a $100 credit if we did a timeshare presentation. Would have loved to have taken advantage of the timeshare, but just not the right time for us. The presentation was as expected. After declining they have you do an evaluation which encompasses another seperate offer to return for another visit along with star points.

The service here was great.Everyone was pleasant and professional.

for the person who referred us to the havanna Cafe- THANK YOU THANK YOU - we had great mohitos there! and on that note - I ordered one over at the hotel (cant think of the name of the bar/ eatery) the bar that is like a saloon where you can get burgers and such...it was like having mint leaves and seltzer. I should have sent it back for the $10 charge- I expect to get a good drink. My own fault for not doing that.

Thanks
Babs
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:29 pm

for the person who referred us to the havanna Cafe- THANK YOU THANK YOU -
Babs[/QUOTE]

I know I mentioned the Havana Cafe on one of these threads. Glad you enjoyed it. Friends who live in the area took us there, otherwise I don't know if I would have found/tried it.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:57 pm

I dug back and yes it was you who mentioned the Havanna Cafe- Thanks again- they really do make great mohitos- we went back a second time for dinner - my husband liked his chicken dish- My dish had a tamalee,a vegie and a sandwich- I liked the mohitos better

In anycase we did enjoy the stay and can see if you have the money to buy into the timeshare, why you would.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
...The Dreamweavers Canyon view from their website looks pretty nice from a high floor but it appears to face the front. ...
Dreamweavers Canyon is on the rear facing the golf course.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: US,HH
My daughter and I stayed at the Villas this past weekend for a little Mothers day pampering.

The Villas are getting bit worn out with scratches on the dining table and stained carpeting and sofa. The bed of course was heavenly as always.

I prefer the public areas of the Villas over the main resort. The hammocks, seating areas, fireplace seem so much more intimate. That said, I was there with my daughter so we spent the majority of the time at the resort pool.

All staff members I encountered were just wonderful. Always a good morning, always a smile on their faces. Plenty of servers at the main pool and never had to wait for a drink or snack.

It was graduation for ASU that weekend so the Villas were quite full of grads. The group in the Villa next door was unbelievably loud. About 10pm I had a knock on my door for the kids next door asking me if I had complained about the noise. I hadn't but had certainly thought about it. However I just turned on the Bose radio and it dimmed the sound a bit. We had adjoining rooms and I told them if they were bothering me I would come let them know. I "vaguely" remember being that age and graduating.
Shortly thereafter our room service was delivered (5.00 delivery fee and 22% service charge) and the delivery staff was quite concerned with the noise coming from next door. She took it upon herself to go to their room and have them quiet down. I'm happy to say her actions worked!

Sunday we had brunch but didn't feel it was worth the cost. 25.00 per child, 65.00 per adult. Brunch was decent but didn't warrent the 65.00 adult charge.

All in all a very nice weekend. We always like the bagpipes at Dreamweavers Canyon and my daughter loved making smores after the entertainment.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 2:54 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by bbbb
Do they no longer have food and drinks in the club at night?
I had a 5 day stay at the Kierland in April for the Freddies. Correct, you get a $25 voucher per day for use at Deseo where it will typically buy you one appetizer and one drink - a huge degradation from the previous lounge happy hour with snacks and drinks. There was also a lot of confusion with the front desk about whether it is one per day or stay. It took 3 tries and a chat with a front desk manager to get the per day vouchers.

I really enjoyed the previous lounge happy hours - sitting at a balcony table listening to the bagpiper. I am less likely to be staying at this property because of this. At the rates they charge I think it is reasonable to include the evening happy hour at the lounge. You can still get soft drinks and cookies at the lounge all day long.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jul 21, 2008 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 15, 2008, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I had a 5 day stay at the Kierland in April for the Freddies. Correct, you get a $25 voucher per day for use at Deseo where it will typically buy you one appetizer and one drink - a huge degradation from the previous lounge happy hour with snacks and drinks. There was also a lot of confusion with the front desk about whether it is one per day or stay. It took 3 tries and a chat with a front desk manager to get the per day vouchers.

I really enjoyed the previous lounge happy hours - sitting at a balcony table listening to the bagpiper. I am less likely to be staying at this property because of this. At the rates they charge I think is is reasonable to include the evening happy hour at the lounge. You can still get soft drinks and cookies at the lounge all day long.

I am with you and will not be paying their rates with out the club.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:38 pm
Suspended

I really enjoyed the previous lounge happy hours - sitting at a balcony table listening to the bagpiper. I am less likely to be staying at this property because of this. At the rates they charge I think is is reasonable to include the evening happy hour at the lounge. You can still get soft drinks and cookies at the lounge all day long.

Is that for 1 person staying in the room or for 2 people in the room? Someone earlier stated that they got two (2) $25 coupons per day for the duration of their stay apparently because two were staying in the room.

Originally Posted by CPRich
Per day. They only really check/ask for room number at breakfast. You get a pretty decent breakfast spread, then drinks and snacks through the day, newspapers, TV, internet access. Instead of food in the evening, I received two $25 vouchers per day to the "Unwind" event - food at the downstairs restaurant.

It was $10 + $1.23 in taxes.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:46 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Is that for 1 person staying in the room or for 2 people in the room? ...
In my case it was only 1 person staying but I got mixed answers for the case if there were 2. For example, the 5 day reservation was for 2 people but the welcome packet waiting for me at checkin only had 1 voucher. I was told various things, like the lounge will give out a voucher every day, but the lounge does not hand them out and it is only staffed during breakfast hours. With that logic it means if you miss breakfast, you also miss the happy hour. They really need to get the process ironed out. And I was there 10 weeks after the voucher process started. I talked to a total of 8 people about the vouchers and there were 5 different opinions of the rules. No one said it should be 1 per registered guest per day which in my opinion it should be.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:45 am

The property continues to deteriorate, which is a pitty, given how beautiful it is. My guess is that deep pockets built the resort and then didn't have a clue how to operate it. To allow ASU graduates to rule the roost is a bit unacceptable for an AAA four diamond property. Quite honestly, I am amazed that it has been able to retain that fourth diamond.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:34 am
Suspended

gfowler-ord-1k
Thanks for the quick fowllowup.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Is Explorer package link gone

I have searched both through google & this website and cannot find an updated link for the "Explorer" package. Is Starwood giving this resort a "break" from offering these specials?

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I just booked a room for two nights that comes with a $50 "daily resort credit." I tried to do a search to see on what one might spend the credit, but I came up lame. Are there specific areas in the resort in which the credit is applicable, but not others? In other words, can this be used on any incidental charges (in-room internet access, restaurant/room service charges, etc.) or must it be spent, say, on golf or spa treatments?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anyone can point me to a link where this was previously discussed, I would happily rap my hand with a ruler.

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:46 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by stevekoe
... In other words, can this be used on any incidental charges (in-room internet access, restaurant/room service charges, etc.)[....
No link but from my experience it is a credit that can be used for anything that can be charged to the room (except the room itself). Be sure to verify at check in so there will be no surprises.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 9, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
No link but from my experience it is a credit that can be used for anything that can be charged to the room. Be sure to verify at check in so there will be no surprises.
Good advice for any situation (the "Starwood ruined my honeymoon" thread comes to mind! ). I will do that and confirm.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.