Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
If you ask for a timeshare tour I'm sure they'd be happy to provide it to you. I can't imagine them turning down your interest. You might call ahead to schedule it. (Does the promotion even require that you take the tour?)
I will call ahead thanks. The promotion does not require we take the tour, but the resort credit would be nice. And as long as we cannot get into our room we might as well do that. Thanks

Babs
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by acnev
Stayed here in early December - 2 adults and 2 kids in a double room using the free weekend nights I earned. Got upgraded to the club floors but was charged $21 ish for the 2 kids to use the lounge. Has anyone else encountered this charge?
acnev - are you Plat? I have never encountered access to a lounge where they limit guest to 2 adults as a Plat. I will be visiting Kierland in a few weeks so don't want to be surprise.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Feb 28, 2008 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:07 am

Yes, I am Plat. I did get an email from the Mgr indicating that the charge is for extra people. Hence, in my case the charge was for my two kids.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
That consistent with the program T&C.

And I've frequently seen notes about the # of people welcome in a club lounge, but it isn't always enforced.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bbbb
Do they no longer have food and drinks in the club at night?
From 5 to 7p, there is a sign inviting you to join the "Unwind" event and the club is unstaffed. However, your key will still work and cookies, chips, sodas are still available.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I have stayed at the Kierland many times and there was always a note card given to me at check-in listing the lounge privilege. It listed the one guest limit and that there was a charge extra guests and children. Also children are not allowed when in the evening when alcohol is served. The lounge attendant verified that you were on this printout of the guests that had lounge access. This attendants last year were a husband and wife. One generally did breakfast and the other was there in the evening. They were very helpful and professional.

I am surprised and disappointed that they have discontinued the evening lounge food especially with the high prices this time of year. They had a nice selection of cold appetizers. I loved sitting at a balcony table having snacks and drinks while listening to the bagpipe music drift across the golf course.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Apr 10, 2008 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
Kierland in August vs February

Hello. I would like some advice about the best time to visit Kierland. I am considering going for a week in the last week in August, or during the last week in Feb 2009. These are the only two weeks open for me to travel. I have three young kids. Scottsdale seems incredibly hot in August, and quite cool in February. All we plan on doing is sitting by and in the pool for a week. Realizing both of these weeks do not have ideal weather in Scottsdale, which is the better of the two? Is it too hot in August to actually enjoy the pool and lazy river with young kids (under 6 years old). Are the pools cooled in August, or do they feel like a hot tub? Is it too cold in February to suntan by the side of the pool? Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by YYZHNL
Hello. I would like some advice about the best time to visit Kierland. I am considering going for a week in the last week in August, or during the last week in Feb 2009. ...
August is a great time to visit the Kierland and the rates are far cheaper than Feb. There are lots of activities for the kids. It will be hot but you can jump in the pool to cool off. If you are planning on staying over Labor Day weekend get your reservations well in advance as the hotel is often fully booked.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We were there mid-Feb (2 and a half weeks ago) and pool hours were 11am to 4pm, and all of the advertised kids programs were not in operation. Apparently they only happen in the summer. So Feb. for kids/pool activities is not recommended by me.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 4, 2008 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I had two different stays here last month.

First stay was smooth. Desk staff gave me three coupons for $25 each to the Cuban bar/eatery in the basement...Deseo I believe. Lounge upstairs on 9th floor was very poorly stocked...looked like someone had completely raided it. Went to Deseo and had a $12 margajito and kobe meatballs, surrended a coupon, left a tip, no problem. I would have preferred to just grab a beer in the club lounge, but oh well. Room was overlooking the golf course and got to watch the bag piper do his thing. Nice stay.

Second stay not so smooth. Front desk didn't give any coupons so I asked. He looked in a brown folder and told me 'sorry, I don't see anything for you.' Thought maybe the club lounge was open so made my way there for a beer. Alas, it was even MORE picked over than the previous stay. Empty cookie plates, no water, no nothing. Called Service Express and asked if I should have gotten some coupons for Deseo. She said nope, and actually told me that cocktails were served in the Club Lounge from 5:00 to 6:00. Told her I was there at that time and there was nothing and explained prior stay's workings. Asked her to verify and call me back. I had been upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor. It was right over a service entrance that was used by pool staff, catering and employees coming and going. The door had a little digital lock on it with keys, that beeped when it was used...very audible in my room. And it slammed every time it closed. When Service Express called back to apologize and tell me they would credit me $25.00 on my bill I asked about the door. She told me it would not be used after 9:00 and I said fine. Called again at 9:00 to ask about the door again and was told they were just finishing up an event and it would stop soon. Left the hotel for dinner and to pick up Mrs. Dingo on a late arriving flight. The door was used sporadically until at least 1:00 a.m. I should have asked to be moved...my fault. On check out, I filled out the little card and left it at the desk, then changed my mind and asked to speak with the MOD about my room. Had just wanted to inform him/her that it was a lousy room regardless of who was sleeping in it due to the door. Desk agent went to the back for about five minutes, came back and told me the MOD had just gone into a meeting and he would pass along my comments. I told him I'd be happy to receive some points as compensation or not, whatever the MOD felt appropriate...just don't put me in that room again! A day later I got enough points for a free night at Kierland, and also got to bed early to make up for that lousy night.

Overall, this is an out of the way hotel if you are intersted in Phoenix or Scottsdale. It is beautiful though and doesn't feel as large as it is. I'd like to see the club lounge open up, but I am sure a lot of people like Deseo more. If it were Mexican food or something other than Cuban I probably would like it better as well...though $12 for a cocktail is a bit steep for me personally.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta Silver, Continental Silver
Smile Great Kierland Experience

Just returned from a week's vacation where we stayed three nights at the Kierland as part of a "see Arizona" trip. We stayed our first two days and had a fantastic experience. We booked with cash and points and then inquired about a $50.00 upgrade to a suite promotion through AMEX. We ended up with a large suite for $140.00 a night which I think is one of the best bang-for-the-buck SPG awards I have had in quite some time.

The suite gallery was nicely appointed and provided plenty of space including a small kitchen, separate bath, and wrap around balcony overlooking the golf course.

Overall service quality was quite good with all employees I interacted with. The location which has been highly touted in this thread is excellent. With Kierland Commons being right nearby...you have a large variety of shopping and dining available.

I highly recommend the Kierland Resort for anyone staying in the PHX area.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
AmEX $50 upgrade

How do I find this AmEX $50 suite upgrade promotion?
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Which View

I will be staying at Kierland next weekend. I rec an email from the resort inquiring which view I prefer (pool, mountain, or golf view). Having never been there b4, I am looking for a tranquil view (not near the employee entrance). The Dreamweavers Canyon view from their website looks pretty nice from a high floor but it appears to face the front.

So what have others experienced during their stay here? Any suggestions?

Just checked out an ariel view on mapquest, the north east view appear to be the most tranquil - facing the golf course and the mountians. The front view appears to face the city.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Go for the golf view

Just stayed there. They offered us golf view, suite on 3rd floor (side view, facing mall), parking lot view, or casita. Took the 9th floor golf view. Steps to the lounge (breakfast, sodas/water all day). Very nice.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta Silver, Continental Silver
Suite Upgrade

When we went to print out our confirmation email, there was some sort of line that mentioned the $50.00 uprgrade based on us using an AMEX. We actually used our Starwood AMEX so not sure if this may be required as well. Sorry I don't have the original text. I would simply inquire when you arrive if there is a $50.00 promotion running.

I have to say that the room key there is an exact replica of the SPG AMEX card...which got a little confusing in my wallet. Tried to use it to pay for a rental car...but it didn't fool them! ; )

We did return a few days later to say one more night and was unable to get the offer due to the suites being sold out...so it may be a very limited offer that we lucked out on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.