Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
The suites are nice here, but the lobby resturant is just plain poor. Poor food, service and when you pay the bill you will be poor. I just changed my reservation out because of the past issues here.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is a nice property not overpriced at the bar unless you compare to a dpressed aprt of the US. I stay here often and think it is a great place, lobby bar is fun especially during happy hour.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
The photos look like the suite I had when I was there last year. Did you check p. 620 of the Bible for my "signature" (See the FlyerTalkers in the Bible thread) ?
Nope, but I will be certain to check in the future.

Originally Posted by travelista
Whoopsie! Looks like you forgot to put the toilet seat down, Anglo Large Clawed Otter.....
I have a strict policy that it should be left up. I've been attempting to train ladies for years as to proper bathroom etiquette. It's about as effective as herding cats.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
The suites are nice here, but the lobby resturant is just plain poor. Poor food, service and when you pay the bill you will be poor. I just changed my reservation out because of the past issues here.
I was there on a breakfast rate last June and the meal and service at B.A.N.K. were both good. Atmosphere isn't too bad either. That said, the breakfast menu was a bit pricey (~ $15 omelettes) and likely wouldn't have gotten my business if my rate didn't include it.

I was in a similar suite as the one shown above, but my toilet seat was down. Maybe that's why the maid missed the dried urine left on the toilet bowl by the previous guest???
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG
Midway through my second stay in 2 weeks, I'm hating this place. I've gotten middling rooms both times, and both have been by the elevator. When I went back down last week after seeing the room, I was dismissively told that no other room was available. I didn't even bother to ask this time. The valets also need about 30 minutes during peak time (7:30-8:00a) to get a car around.

I was hoping I would love it, but I'm moving to the Westin Edina soon.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Staying here now and disappointed. My room is 707 on SPG floor. Tiny room no bathrobe - bathrobe is special request at this hotel for SPG floors. No speakers in bathroom - read this on prior post - and towel is around the corner under sink. You cannot sit on the toilet and have door open nor can you get in the shower with door open - too small.

The shower has soap, shampoo, and conditioner dispensers. WTH - it's like being in a gas station. No bottles of skin product. I'm sure some genius thinks they are saving money. However, this cheapens the product substanially. Pushing a soap dispendor knob in a shower used by hundreds of people is a bit creepy.

Anyway, not the end of the world. I expet more from a $200/night room.

While I did not like the location of the Sheraton Midtown, I liked that hotel better than the Westin.

Last edited by MIKEM; Jun 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MIKEM
The shower has soap, shampoo, and conditioner dispensers. WTH - it's like being in a gas station. No bottles of skin product. I'm sure some genius thinks they are saving money. However, this cheapens the product substanially. Pushing a soap dispendor knob in a shower used by hundreds of people is a bit creepy...
Looks like they are following aloft.

You know what? If SPG wants to be ghetto and do that a $69 a night aloft, fine, whatever, but if SPG decides to install those nasty dispensers at expensive Westin and W, I will be the first to stop giving them my business.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Looks like they are following aloft.

You know what? If SPG wants to be ghetto and do that a $69 a night aloft, fine, whatever, but if SPG decides to install those nasty dispensers at expensive Westin and W, I will be the first to stop giving them my business.
I called down to get a robe and had a chance to ask nicely what the shampoo dispensers are all about. They said they did it in on floors 3 and 7. The reason is to consume less plastic by eliminating the plastic bottles. They said this is a trial run of two floors.

My comment was two fold:
1) There is no comment card in my room for me to comment
2) The Westin Minneapolis is a nice hotel. Having public restroom type soap dispensers - and that is exactly what these thing look like - cheapens the product.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MIKEM
The shower has soap, shampoo, and conditioner dispensers. WTH - it's like being in a gas station. No bottles of skin product. I'm sure some genius thinks they are saving money. However, this cheapens the product substanially. Pushing a soap dispendor knob in a shower used by hundreds of people is a bit creepy.
I like that Westin is taking steps to reduce plastic waste. That little spill in the Gulf of Mexico is a result of our endless need for plastic.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I like that Westin is taking steps to reduce plastic waste. That little spill in the Gulf of Mexico is a result of our endless need for plastic.
Good to know - I expect you will stay here now.

After bringing the robe they called to see that I got it and asked if there was anything else. Sine they asked I told them the shampoo story and they offered bottles - I accepted. I think they have done a good job meeting my needs and I am now happy here.

BTW - I'm hitting the gym to get worked out. Ask for room 707 on your next stay and you can latch onto the shampoo knob when I'm done with it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Disagree. That "little spill" in the Gulf of Mexico is the result of a company taking short cuts. Do you really believe six different safety mechanisms all failed at the same time?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:23 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
What about all of the environmentally unfriendly products and parts that go into a television, a utility which is necessary to give those at NBC and Lifetime Entertainment a job?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:31 am

The Westin has some $69/night prepaid rooms, at least in August, available on the SPG and other websites. These appear to be rooms with 2 double beds and a "limited view", whatever that means in this context.

I presume this is a fairly good deal? I'll probably use Priceline, but I thought I would note it.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Maybe I've developed low standards because of all my stays at the SNYHT and Hampton Inns, but I loved this place! When I checked in I was disappointed to be assigned to a room on the third floor. But I thought Room 310 was great - I don't often stay in suites with hardwood floors. Yes the room didn't have a lot of sunlight, but since I don't like the sun waking me up and am almost never in the room during the day, it's fine by me.

I thought the stainless steel pool was very cool - so much so that I got up early to take a swim. I also ate in the lobby and thought the food was pretty good - especially the tomato soup that comes with a mini grilled cheese sandwich.

Really my only complaint was that the showerhead was misaligned with the shower stall - it should have been on the other wall. Otherwise I thought this was a great property with good service (and a huge step up from the Hilton Minneapolis where I stayed the following night)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WillTravel
The Westin has some $69/night prepaid rooms, at least in August, available on the SPG and other websites. These appear to be rooms with 2 double beds and a "limited view", whatever that means in this context.

I presume this is a fairly good deal? I'll probably use Priceline, but I thought I would note it.
That was a good deal. Now that we are in the holiday season, the prepaid rate has fallen even more - to just $55 (sample dates 12/23 - 12/27). That's lower than the C&P rate of $60 + 4,000 Starpoints. Good for a mattress run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.