Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by myperks
How much credit do you get against breakfast at Moana Surfrider?
And is this credit at the restaurant or to go bar? Even elites at the Moana only get “credit” when trying to use the complimentary breakfast coupon at the restaurant for a full dining experience.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, the rooms are renovated (at least the upper floors of the tower). I've stayed here several times since the pandemic began, and the location could not be better! Basically, it's the same location (just across the street) as the surrounding hotels that cost 3-4x more. Plus, you can charge to your room at the dining venues at the Moana Surfrider and Sheraton Waikiki. Pool is not as nice as the Sheraton Waikiki, and currently has limited hours, but honestly, who goes to Hawaii for a pool when you have a world-class beach right there?!

Probably the weakest part of the experience right now is the elite breakfast (for Platinum and higher). It's currently a take-out box, dispensed from the pool bar, as there is no sit-down restaurant open at the hotel. Staff are doing their best, but one of them told me last month that the full service restaurant at the Princess Kaiulani will not re-open until the hotel reaches a certain percentage of occupancy.

Or, you can redeem the breakfast vouchers across the street at the Moana Surfrider restaurant, which is fully open, but there is an "upgrade" charge, even if you just want the elite continental offering. 🙄
I think in the coming months as the islands open up the Princess Kaiulani will become a great option for those using points as well as paid travel. Its right across the street from the beach, with status you have dining options ( nothing is free folks, those days are in the rear view mirror). I also understand there are additional plans for renovation. I think our next trip over we will try the Princess, just saying.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
How much credit do you get against breakfast at Moana Surfrider?
Credit against breakfast is US$18. So it's a $6 additional charge for the Moana Surfrider elite continental breakfast ($24 on the menu). Plus, you should leave a gratuity based on the full $24 because it is table service by a waiter, and those folks are really hurting. (Basically, anyone who works in the hospitality industry in Hawaii needs every penny of gratuity we can give him/her to get through these tough times.)
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
And is this credit at the restaurant or to go bar? Even elites at the Moana only get “credit” when trying to use the complimentary breakfast coupon at the restaurant for a full dining experience.
I know the credit works at the sit-down terrace restaurant on the left as you walk out of the lobby toward the big tree. I'm not sure if the credit works at the grab-and-go place next to the pool.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:47 pm

I know the credit works at the sit-down terrace restaurant on the left as you walk out of the lobby toward the big tree. I'm not sure if the credit works at the grab-and-go place next to the pool.
If I recall, it’s an $18 credit for folks at the Moana too, but I’ll have to report back in a couple of weeks after my next stay.

If you take the credit to the Surfrider Cafe, everything is complimentary (eg a sausage egg cheese croissant, fresh pineapple, a muffin, and a coffee).
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I'm looking at a trip here for July 4th, and it seems like you can book a variety of room types in different areas (Ainahau Tower, Princess Wing, Kaiulani Wing). It looks like people like Ainahau ocean view rooms on higher floors, but what are everyone's thoughts on the other room types? I'd probably use cc certificates to book then try to use SNAs to upgrade to a better room, but I just want to make sure to select upgrade options that I'd be happy with (i.e. full/partial ocean view, somewhat renovated room, king bed). I'll be titanium by then if that makes any difference.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I'm looking at a trip here for July 4th, and it seems like you can book a variety of room types in different areas (Ainahau Tower, Princess Wing, Kaiulani Wing). It looks like people like Ainahau ocean view rooms on higher floors, but what are everyone's thoughts on the other room types? I'd probably use cc certificates to book then try to use SNAs to upgrade to a better room, but I just want to make sure to select upgrade options that I'd be happy with (i.e. full/partial ocean view, somewhat renovated room, king bed). I'll be titanium by then if that makes any difference.

Currently, only the Ainahau Tower is open because of the pandemic. If you book a lower-tier room in Kaiulani Wing, you will be automatically moved to the Ainahau Tower when you check in. My suggestion is not to bother trying SNAs. I've stayed here (as a Titanium) several times during the pandemic and have always gotten a high floor with nice view. I don't believe there are suites at this property. The website shows a "Tower Luxury" room, but that appears just to be a larger-size guest room.

Frankly, as noted above, the reason to book this property is not the room itself, but rather the location. The tower rooms are renovated and perfectly fine, but nothing extraordinary. The reason to stay here is being at the heart of Waikiki, across the street from the beach, and surrounded by all of the dining and shopping venues.

Also, the staff are WONDERFUL! Truly go out of their way to be kind and helpful.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:32 pm

My suggestion is not to bother trying SNAs. I've stayed here (as a Titanium) several times during the pandemic and have always gotten a high floor with nice view. I don't believe there are suites at this property. The website shows a "Tower Luxury" room, but that appears just to be a larger-size guest room.
Thanks for the tips! I guess I'll save my SNAs and hope for the best.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I just had a one night stay here prior to a one-week stay at the Moana Surfrider. I booked the base room category for $120 a day before arrival and received an upgrade to an ocean view king. The view was legitimately nice although the bathroom looked like it hasn’t been renovated in 20 years and the room overall felt like a nice college dormitory room. There was a ton of noice from the street that was loud and audible in the room.

the previous guests dirty towels were still in the room when I checked in. I let them know at the front desk as legitimate feedback (not as a prod for compensation, they offered to waive the resort fee and I didn’t object to that).

Overall it was fine for one night and the price I paid.

This was my first stay after earning ambassador elite last week.
margarita girl and anteater like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by donotblink

Overall it was fine for one night and the price I paid.

This was my first stay after earning ambassador elite last week.
I’ve done that half a dozen times especially when arriving late. Do a cheap night at the PK then move to SW or MS. The last time I was there, front desk offered to waive the resort fee because I checked in after midnight.

Congrats on your Amb status!
kyushuman, donotblink and anteater like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a chance to stay here in July. Overall, not bad for the price, considering the prices of other Waikiki hotels. The rooms themselves need work, but the lobby area seemed recently renovated and fresh feeling. Staff at the hotel were great as well. Titaniums get a to-go breakfast at the Splash Bar during my stay for the breakfast benefit, a decent box full of items as well as coffee and juice.

Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Looking to book one of these room types for next year - what is the best bet for room quality, location and view?

Tower Ocean King - Ainahau Tower
Princess Ocean King - Princess Wing

Both show as an ocean view, the Princess wing is about $10 a night more.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586
Looking to book one of these room types for next year - what is the best bet for room quality, location and view?

I stayed a few months ago. I was in the Ainahau Tower, and the oceanview rooms were fine and had a nice view. It's not a luxury property or one with a unique character, but I think it's a good value because of the location. If you're Platinum or above, the breakfast benefit can be used across the street at MS where you can get one item (breakfast burrito, acai bowl) and a drink (coffee or juice). I recommend that because it's nice to eat breakfast right on the beach.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Had a chance to stay here in July. Overall, not bad for the price, considering the prices of other Waikiki hotels. The rooms themselves need work, but the lobby area seemed recently renovated and fresh feeling. Staff at the hotel were great as well. Titaniums get a to-go breakfast at the Splash Bar during my stay for the breakfast benefit, a decent box full of items as well as coffee and juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BSjyKvF5ro
Good post and film sad they haven't taken the "down time" and continued the renovations and from the looks especially the bathrooms, more like motel 6. I think if the ownership group were to put some money into this property it could be a winner.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by allseas1586

Persoanlly, I would book into the Ainahau Tower for the views. This is not a large property, so no matter which part you book into, it’s a very short walk to get to the lobby or street.

As long as you aren’t expecting a luxury hotel, you should be absolutely pleased. The beach is right across the street. For being a 30 second walk versus oceanfront (Westin Moana), it’s a good deal.

Hopefully you’ll spend most of your time out and about, enjoying the island. 🤙🏻

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.