Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Medallion, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Arrow Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Looking for information on recent stays and Platinum treatment. Anyone stay here recently?? If not, Is this because you prefer a better Starwood property in Tampa? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by travelman2129; Jan 8, 2007 at 6:21 am
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:33 pm
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
I stayed at this property at the end of November. Was upgraded to a corner suite on a lower floor but did not look over the water. I believe I asked about a room with a view but was told they did not have any available. Other than the upgraded room (and choice of points/movie/food credit) there was no Platinum benefit.

The Westin hotel is in much better shape than the Sheraton Suites at the airport, which I also stayed at in November. The Sheraton Suites did give me a room on the top floor (no upgrade room type) and a breakfast coupon.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG PLAt, NWA PLat
I'm sitting in my non upgraded room right now at the harbour plaza. Its nice, and the staff is good. but in 3 stays I've been upgraded 1 time and had to ask for that one. A nice 2 room corner suite over looking the water. They forgot my wakeup call this morning too. Overall, its the nicest starwood in the Tampa area IMOP.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:29 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by car_guy1
I'm sitting in my non upgraded room right now at the harbour plaza. Its nice, and the staff is good. but in 3 stays I've been upgraded 1 time and had to ask for that one. A nice 2 room corner suite over looking the water. They forgot my wakeup call this morning too. Overall, its the nicest starwood in the Tampa area IMOP.
What went wrong with Car_guy1 went right in spades for my stay at this property. I chose to stay at this property because of my loyality to the Starwood program.

When I checked in and flashed my Platinum card, the clerk apologized for not having my number on hand with my reservation, as I made it through a third party. However, she said that one of her responsibilities was to look after Starwood Platinums, and she would do everything in her power to make sure that I felt I had been treated royally. This began by her telling me that even though she did not have my Starwood Platinum level in my reservation, she would upgrade me to the largest suite in the hotel, room 1232. When I walked into the suite, it compared with some of the largest suites I ever had experienced with Starwood, being similar in size to the Dresden Westin where a number of you have remarked about the immense size of the room. The room must have had at least a dozen closets and other small rooms, including a kitchen and a second half bath. No sooner that I had settled in the room, and started to read the welcome from the manager, I received a knock on the door, and the wait staff appeared to deliver a second treat from the manager with a second welcoming letter. I immediately called my colleague who was staying across the bridge in a hotel chain to come see the size of my room. He suggested that we hold a meeting in the dining room, as he suggested that the room we were meeting in at the Convention Center next door would not be as fine as what I had received.

The next morning I woke up just prior to my wake up call, and asked about room service. The front desk clerk mentioned that Room Service did not begin until 6:30 AM, but I could preorder. I told him I needed to lead a meeting a block away for a 7:30 AM , and he volunteered to try to have my breakfast delivered earlier than 6:30 AM. True to his word, I was greeted by a knock at 6:10 AM that my breakfast had arrived.

After trying to get ready for my meeting, I found I had forgotten my comb, so I went down to the deskclerk at 6:45 AM who "magiced a comb" from his storage area for his storage area.

Needless to say, I was very pleased about the value of the Starwood Program from this stay, as I received the value I would have expected in a year in this one stay. I was most impressed with the personal service I was offered when a number of problems occurred.

My colleagues who was in TPA for the first time was very impressed with our dinner reservations at the Columbia Restaurant, a long time favorite of mine. We ended up just next to the stage for the flamingo show. For those who have not been to this restaurant in Ybor Cityk, it is the one place you must go when dining in Tampa, as it a memory you will always have.

What did I not like about the hotel? Well the 12th floor hall did not have the usual rich feel of a Starwood Hotel, but rather still had the feeling of a Wyndam hotel that it was previously. I do not know how to fix this feeling without reconstrucing the hall.

Overall, a fine hotel, a fine dinner, and fine flights to get me here and back to NYC. Thanks Tampa Westin Harbour Island Hotel for a stay as good as it gets!
Old May 20, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Does this hotel offer transportation to the airport??? Is the Sheraton the only "airport hotel?" From the map, the Westin seems to be right next to the airport
Old May 20, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Even though this property is only ten miles from the airport, it can take as long as 30-60 minutes to get to the airport from this part of town.

There's a nice variety of activities around Harbour Island and the adjacent Channelside district, but, if proximity to the airport is your highest priority, you might want to consider something closer.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Does this hotel offer transportation to the airport??? Is the Sheraton the only "airport hotel?" From the map, the Westin seems to be right next to the airport
New and very nice Westin Westshore (althought its not close to the Westshore area) is quite close to the airport. Great views of the bay and has a great seafood restaurant Aquanox ( same as the one in Vegas)

By far the best SPG property in the area.
I would be very, very surprised if shuttle service from TPA not offered.

mike
Old May 21, 2009, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

This is the Downtown Westin, not the Westin closest to the airport.

If you want to stay near the airport, you want the Westin Tampa Bay.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
This is the Downtown Westin, not the Westin closest to the airport.

If you want to stay near the airport, you want the Westin Tampa Bay.
ugh...google map is deceiving
Old May 28, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Like LIFE_PLATINUM, I was upgraded as a PLT to suite 1232, which I paced out to be about 3000 square feet or so.

Even more amazing was that I was given this room with a free PLT night and a 10,000 point redemption!

Fruit tray on check in, free dessert one night, fabulous!

Super hotel, great staff, good food in the restaurant.

A stay for the scrapbook for sure!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
Like LIFE_PLATINUM, I was upgraded as a PLT to suite 1232, which I paced out to be about 3000 square feet or so.

Even more amazing was that I was given this room with a free PLT night and a 10,000 point redemption!

Fruit tray on check in, free dessert one night, fabulous!

Super hotel, great staff, good food in the restaurant.

A stay for the scrapbook for sure!
Good to hear. Im going to try this property and the Westin Tampa Bay next weekend.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chanp
Good to hear. Im going to try this property and the Westin Tampa Bay next weekend.
Please report back, I will be staying there on the 4th of July weekend.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Please report back, I will be staying there on the 4th of July weekend.
I will be staying at the other Westin (Tampa Bay) on the 4th. I was told the Club lounge will be open and they plan some sort of welcome that day. They also mentioned two firework displays can be seen from the hotel. I hope the lounge has an outdoor area.

They really should have made the 2 Westin's name more different - like Westin Downtown and Westin at the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I will be staying at the other Westin (Tampa Bay) on the 4th. I was told the Club lounge will be open and they plan some sort of welcome that day. They also mentioned two firework displays can be seen from the hotel. I hope the lounge has an outdoor area.

They really should have made the 2 Westin's name more different - like Westin Downtown and Westin at the airport.
Just to make things clearer: I will be staying at The Westin Tampa Bay
7627 W. Courtney Campbell Causeway

If you are staying at the same, we shoul dmeet for drinks. And yes, they have a rooftop outdoor area.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Just to make things clearer: I will be staying at The Westin Tampa Bay
7627 W. Courtney Campbell Causeway

If you are staying at the same, we shoul dmeet for drinks. And yes, they have a rooftop outdoor area.
I wouldn't get your hopes up (at Westin Tampa Bay by the airport). Yes, its a new property, but the rooms are nothing to write home about. I find the hotel to be extremely noisy with the causeway adjacent to the property. In the evening, you hear nothing but rice rockets ramping up their engines because of the stop light. It's ridiculous. Also, I was not upgraded to a suite (and yes, I asked) even though spg.com clearly stated a standard suite was available for sale (I'm sick of it, whether or not the hotels actually have the suites, don't sell it if you don't have it). The club lounge was lame. In the evening, it was invaded by a group of kids who brought their own alcohol and blasted the lame speakers attached to the computer with ghetto music. I was so appalled that I canceled my reservation for the next evening and moved to the Westin Harbour Island. That was the best decision I had ever made. Feel free to browse through my pictures of the Harbour Island:
www.flickr.com/photos/dunkindonuts Though an older hotel, I enjoyed it more.

To their credit, the staff was very friendly and well trained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.