Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - between the two, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Harbour one (versus Airport), as it seems to be more of a walking area. All in, will probably cost me an extra $100 versus the Airport one. Trying to get any feedback if its worth it...thanks.
Looks like the Westin Tampa Bay opting out of the new SPG promo makes my decision easy - a big to them. So will try out the Harbour Island.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No longer SPG?

This hotel no longer shows up in the search results for Tampa - did it change flags?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
This hotel no longer shows up in the search results for Tampa - did it change flags?
as far as this link goes, no.. this has all the hotels listed in FL under starwood flag

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...html?sortType=
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by justspg
as far as this link goes, no.. this has all the hotels listed in FL under starwood flag

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...html?sortType=
A google search brought up this: www.westintampaharbourisland.com

I did an spg search and I get the "were updating our systems........" message and cannot book a room.

Maybe just a glitch? Who knows.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
A google search brought up this: www.westintampaharbourisland.com

I did an spg search and I get the "were updating our systems........" message and cannot book a room.

Maybe just a glitch? Who knows.
This evening my upcoming stays on SPG.com showed about a third of the 40 hotels I have bookings for this year had dissapeared; apparently as the result of a upgrade to the SPG web systems.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
So - between the two, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Harbour one (versus Airport), as it seems to be more of a walking area. All in, will probably cost me an extra $100 versus the Airport one. Trying to get any feedback if its worth it...thanks.
I really like the Westin at the Airport. Really nice Gym pretty new hotel, but I only stay there one night when I fly out in the morning. There is not much near the hotel, you can drive to the mall 5-10 minutes, but not much walkable. downtown is nicer if you are worried about what to do after work.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyintn
I really like the Westin at the Airport. Really nice Gym pretty new hotel, but I only stay there one night when I fly out in the morning. There is not much near the hotel, you can drive to the mall 5-10 minutes, but not much walkable. downtown is nicer if you are worried about what to do after work.
Thanks - I am going to stay at the Airport one. $50/cheaper per night plus cheaper parking, seems newer and nicer too. Need to have a car for weekend activities so walkability isn't that important.

NOTE: Harbour Island is back in searches, must have just been a SPG.com glitch overnight.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Perfectly Fine Hotel/Lovely Staff

Just checked out after a one night cash stay... upgraded to a corner suite (panoramic wasn't avail due to NHL playoffs in town)....

$25 taxi from the airport

Check in was a breeze... no asking for upgrades (reservation had been updated before i even arrived)... no asking for points...

Room was lovely, although no water.

Gym is more than acceptable... clean, 5 cardio, free weights and a couple machines

Had dinner next door at Jackson's -- food was great... service sucked (maybe b/c i was alone)

Went for a run this morning... Westin Workout route has a type... (turn left at Channelside Dr... not Platt -- Channelside turns into Platt). Upon returning to the hotel, the bellboys just handed me a bottle of water... nice touch.

Ran by the Sheraton Riverwalk... doubt i will try that one next time as the westin was only $25 more.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:19 am

Decidedly Mediocre

Checked into the Westin TBI for one this this past Monday (4/25). Zero recognition of Platinum status, from no upgrade to no offer of any Platinum amenity -- although there was a plate with two small (and largely melted) pastries and a generic welcome letter from the GM in the room.

The door to the room stuck so badly I actually thought at first the front desk had not activated my key cards -- actually went downstairs to get new ones before trying again and realizing I had to push very hard. The room was fine, typically Westin, although the mattress was simply old and subpar.

On the positive, breakfast in the restaurant was good, with efficient service, and the valet brought up my car very quickly.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:48 am

Update on the hotel condition

I was wondering if anyone had stayed here recently. A few months ago, I booked the 1800 sq ft suite for a romantic getaway with the SO. They had a good rate and had 40% off the second night. However, after reading some of the recent reviews, it appears that the hotel is rundown, with elevators broken or very slow, stains on the carpet, and should not be stayed in.

The picture of the suite looked nice, but I don't want the SO to be grossed out if we arrive and it is as described by the reviews.

Any updates would be appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Just to make things clearer: I will be staying at The Westin Tampa Bay
7627 W. Courtney Campbell Causeway

If you are staying at the same, we shoul dmeet for drinks. And yes, they have a rooftop outdoor area.
I prefer the Westin Tampa Bay. It is very convenient to the airport. Unlike another poster, I did not find it to be noisy. Love the convenience of the Bahama Breeze restaurant walking distance for late night food and drinks. Postage stamp size beach. Rooms are nice and very comfortable. Have stayed here multiple times and had a mix of upgraded rooms and suites. Very nice staff.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta silver medallion
Originally Posted by hawk2985
I was wondering if anyone had stayed here recently. A few months ago, I booked the 1800 sq ft suite for a romantic getaway with the SO. They had a good rate and had 40% off the second night. However, after reading some of the recent reviews, it appears that the hotel is rundown, with elevators broken or very slow, stains on the carpet, and should not be stayed in.

The picture of the suite looked nice, but I don't want the SO to be grossed out if we arrive and it is as described by the reviews.

Any updates would be appreciated.
I stayed here twice four months ago, I would agree that some part of the hotel might need renovation but it's pretty good, I was upgraded to one of the smaller suites, it was clean and in a good shape. The westin tampa bay is much newer facility and nicer but it's about 10-15 minute drive from the downtown.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by Dr.Jordan
I stayed here twice four months ago, I would agree that some part of the hotel might need renovation but it's pretty good, I was upgraded to one of the smaller suites, it was clean and in a good shape. The westin tampa bay is much newer facility and nicer but it's about 10-15 minute drive from the downtown.
Westin Tampa Bay is further from down town, but very close to the airport.
Has a nice large indoor pool and is very modern.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG, Delta SM, Hilton, IHG
I stayed here in 2011 through a Hotwire booking since the reviews were a mixed bag. The Front Desk agent was kind and explained where to find everything I would need to navigate the labyrinth of a lobby.

I was assigned to the 4th floor, which was cramped, disorganized, and not turned over in a manner consistent with Westin standards. A few lightbulbs were burnt out and there was even a hairball in the bathtub.

I notified the Assistant GM who offered to place me in the 7th floor Executive Suite. Stunning views and more like a Westin, but still lacking in attention to detail. For example, in the living room fridge/cooler, there was a take-out container with food that had already developed mold. In the master bedroom, two of the closet doors fell of the track.

The living room also posed a hazard as lamp electrical cords stretched from the table to the outlet. One of the outlets by the desk was inoperable.

Not all of the stay was bad. The views of the harbor were beautiful, the bathroom immaculate, the bed indeed Heavenly.

Here's the walkthrough.

Unless serious training and renovations have been made, I'd recommend **gasp** the Hyatt Regency.

Last edited by Michael Estoy; Mar 14, 2013 at 5:12 pm Reason: Changed floor to 7, added suite walkthrough
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
As gold:
Stayed in December. room was pretty much the first from the elevator. Although not really that noisy, there was obviously more traffic past my door. No real upgrade or extras to note. Except that the manager sent up a small plate of chocolates/pastries. Although a small gesture, was very pleased with it.

As platinum:
Stayed back here in February. Was upgraded from the room first from elevator to second from elevator. No chocolates/pastries this time. Was generally underwhelmed. Rate booked included breakfast, so I am not certain how the plat bennie is handled here.

I still like the location but in general this is not a hotel that I would go out of my way to stay at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.