Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Stay was at Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa.

Maybe the employees from the villas were working the front desk?

As I said, the facility was great, just poor service and lack of management.

Overall stay was still enjoyable as we are always able to leave the hotel and patronize other eating establishments.

Stand by my comment that this is not 5 star hotel. YMMV
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Stayed Feb, 2010 for 2 weekend nights. During the inital check-in I received standard reply of, "sorry, no upgrades are available" with attitude. I was ready for that answer and replied with "SPG.com is showing your property is still selling suites 15minutes ago, may I talk to your supervisor?"

Upgraded to a beautiful 1 bedroom suite. Really liked the decor/all the kitchen wares/glasses/plates. The gas fireplace wasnt working properly and had engineers come up several times and still couldn't fix it right.

Beware--outdoor hottubs are frequented by "townies." Most of the people we chatted(or heard them talking)in the hottub area were not guests of the hotel.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:54 pm

Which property is the best to stay at near Aspen? I'm looking for a place to stay before a weekend at the St. Regis Aspen.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I recently spent four nights here, and the property itself is gorgeous. Very relaxing and beautifully designed. But I was disappointed to learn when I checked in that the entire pool area would be closed to guests for a day because of a wedding. I don't think a resort should be allowed to shut most guests out of one of its most popular amenities so that a small group of guests can use it. Or they should at least compensate the other guests by refunding the resort fee, giving extra Starpoints or "walking" them to another luxury resort. Just my 2 cents here.

I was very pleased with one of the resort manager's response to some minor ongoing service problems in my room. When I talked with her, she sincerely apologized and immediately offered me an upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite as well as 5,000 compensatory Starpoints. Thumbs up to Sara for her fantastic customer service!

I ate two meals at the restaurant, but I much preferred getting food from the market/deli on the first floor. The prices were less than half of what you'd pay for similar items at the restaurant, and the deli had a nice selection of breakfast breads, soups, sandwiches, pizza by the slice and salads along with more grab-and-go items like fresh fruit, string cheese, protein bars and energy drinks.

I didn't use the spa on this trip because the prices were very expensive, especially compared to some other day spa options in the Avon area, one of which offered a 60-minute massage for $65.

The pool area has very comfortable lounging chairs, and I spent a lot of my time here. The staff members here were attentive and polite, offering to help open umbrellas and trying to make sure the gate was locked. I agree with another poster that many of the people who use the pool area aren't guests at the hotel. They can get in easily because even when the gate is locked, the door is so low that they just reach over and unlock it from the outside and come into the pool area. I wish management would keep a closer eye on that.

This resort is involved in the "Make a Green Choice" program, which I think is great. I look forward to visiting this resort more in the future!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gold Rush
I ate two meals at the restaurant, but I much preferred getting food from the market/deli on the first floor. The prices were less than half of what you'd pay for similar items at the restaurant, and the deli had a nice selection of breakfast breads, soups, sandwiches, pizza by the slice and salads along with more grab-and-go items like fresh fruit, string cheese, protein bars and energy drinks.
i used the deli quite a bit when i was there as well....the food was good & the prices were reasonable....
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Named 2010 Top Resort, Mainland U.S.

Just saw this news on the Today show... Top Mainland US Resort as rated by their readers.

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/3...-nast-traveler
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just saw this news on the Today show... Top Mainland US Resort as rated by their readers.

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/3...-nast-traveler
good stuff....^^
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Price range?

Curious what people have paid at this property the last few years. Looking at MLK weekend in Jan, refundable fare is pretty high at $500 (can knock 30% off by pre-paying and it being nonrefundable, but I have no interest in that).

And it goes without saying that standard rooms for award booking are long gone (with what, 5% of the rooms coded as standard?)

Thanks for any points of reference
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
And it goes without saying that standard rooms for award booking are long gone (with what, 5% of the rooms coded as standard?)
The numbers can change at any moment because the standard rooms in this condo-hotel are all lock-offs from larger suites. If the entire multi-bedroom suite is offered in inventory, then the lock-off is not in inventory.

But if the owner chooses to use only the main suite side, then the lock-off can go into inventory as a standard room. (Assuming that it's not a "premium view" room.)

See posts 13, 30, and 70 (among others) in the following thread for some stats and additional discussion about room types at this property.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...dard-room.html

Have you called about awards for upgraded rooms?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks - I have read through that thread with great interest. I called and offered to spend lots and lots of points on any type of room, but none of any sort was available.

I'll keep checking...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:04 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Curious what people have paid at this property the last few years. Looking at MLK weekend in Jan, refundable fare is pretty high at $500 (can knock 30% off by pre-paying and it being nonrefundable, but I have no interest in that).

Thanks for any points of reference
IIRC, we paid around $500/night, maybe a little north of that, in late February 2010. We booked five reward nights and then a couple of paid nights to round out our week-long ski trip. I wouldn't pay $500/night * 8 nights for this hotel, but it was worth paying for a couple of nights to complete our week. BC is a great place to ski and this is a very convenient place to stay.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Nevermind.

Last edited by sc flier; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:33 am
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Since we stayed here recently (Dec 12 weekend) and there hasn't been too many stay reports, I thought I'd chime in.

Employees here are very friendly and service-oriented as soon as you step out of the car. Valet guys like John and porters like Willy(?) were great and terrific with touristic advice (where to dine, park in Avon, BC, Vail or Edwards, etc.). The ski valets were terrific as well...friendly and cheerful at every encounter. Westin Kids' Club also had fabulous workers, Margie and Jill(?). My 4yo son loved it there. And the hostess and our waitress, Heather, at the the restaurant, Avondale, were friendly and cheerful as well.

Brad at the front desk was very welcoming and acknowledged my Plat status upon check-in; we were "pre-upgraded" into a studio suite. More of a studio than a suite (no separate bedroom), but it had a very large bathroom with sep bath/shower. Coat rack, bench and long wardrobe upon entrance. King bed and pull-out sofa bed, floor-to-ceiling windows, large LCD TV with HD broadcast, and a small balcony. Interestingly, the room had a small kitchen with sink, utensils, microwave, fridge (semi-stocked with enough space to put your own things in) so that you could do some light cooking if you so desire.

The public areas were of fair size and offered several public sitting areas and a bar "conveniently" located. I found that I couldn't complain much at all being that it's a brand new resort (opened Oct 2008).

Resort fee of $20 per day includes fitness center, internet, local phone calls and such; and a one-time valet charge of $25 (wasn't per day so I hope that's the standard policy).

The restaurant Avondale has an upscale casual, contemporary atmosphere. We enjoyed breakfast there with views toward Beaver Creek Valley and Mountain. A small buffet offering but my wife said every item was fresh/delicious and my a la carte Duck Confit Hash was really good.

And for skiers, there's the on-premise gondola that takes you part way towards Bachelor Gulch ski area. This was our first ski vacation at a Starwood property so I can't compare it to others like Whistler or Mammoth, but we enjoyed our stay here and that's all that matters.

Lastly, take skigrl1984's suggestion and dine at Ticino for inexpensive, close-to-authentic (wood oven, thin crust) pizza. It's hard to find; being in the rear of the Avon Lodge, but worth the effort. Or go for the cheese tortellini with chicken at its sister restaurant, Columbine Bakery.
Can anyone please confirm if this is the case for the valet parking or not? If not, I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest an alternative cheaper parking option in Avon since I will not need the car at all. Is parking at the Sheraton an option. or at the Riverfront Villa? This is my first time in BC and need lots of advices. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarwoodRules

Can anyone please confirm if this is the case for the valet parking or not? If not, I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest an alternative cheaper parking option in Avon since I will not need the car at all. Is parking at the Sheraton an option. or at the Riverfront Villa? This is my first time in BC and need lots of advices. Thanks in advance.
I was charged $25 for a two day stay - I originally thought they forgot to charge the second day, but I guess this is standard.

$25 for what I'm assuming is a multi-day stay for you is pretty cheap IMO. Doubt you're going to find a lot (if any) free, 24 hour parking around there.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$25 per stay for parking is awfully reasonable in Avon/BC area. I hope it is not a typo. PHBC charges $30 per night or $210 for one week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.