Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

Can anyone provide some insight on getting to the hotel? What does a taxi from PVG cost roughly? I arrive at 11:35PM on a Monday. Can I still take metro line 2 at this time? Basically I'm curious about Metro speed and cost compared to taxi speed and cost at that late hour.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Can anyone provide some insight on getting to the hotel? What does a taxi from PVG cost roughly? I arrive at 11:35PM on a Monday. Can I still take metro line 2 at this time? Basically I'm curious about Metro speed and cost compared to taxi speed and cost at that late hour.

Thanks
Taxi should cost less than CNY 200 and take less than an hour. Subway is not an option at that time of day.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by tth6133
Taxi should cost less than CNY 200 and take less than an hour. Subway is not an option at that time of day.
I think my taxi was 220 CNY in January. Language wasn't a big issue, this is a well known hotel.

I echo most of what Antonio8069 said below. I was very satisfied with my stay and all interactions with the staff. The lounge team noticed the expression on my face when I asked if they just had Pepsi; a few minutes later bringing me a bottle of Coke.

Annoying but not unsafe, was the constant solicitation for sex as I walked Nanjing Street and even into the lobby of the LeM. Those ladies are persistent and I know that despite hotel staff looking out, they will appear in the elevator area if they see an opportunity.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
People's Square

By Metro, take Line 2 to People's Square. Allow one hour. 7 RMB.
When the announcer says you have reached the terminal statilon, you need to change to another Line 2 train. I changed twice - same platform. All announcements are made in English.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
By Metro, take Line 2 to People's Square. Allow one hour. 7 RMB.
When the announcer says you have reached the terminal statilon, you need to change to another Line 2 train. I changed twice - same platform. All announcements are made in English.
Since his flight arrives after the metro closes, taxi makes the most sense. There is also a late night bus that I tried once. It wasn't horrible, but I'm not sure I would try it again.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Here now - They’ve revamped the hotel. Restaurant / check-in area / some bedrooms completely redone. Looks good so far!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Here now - They’ve revamped the hotel. Restaurant / check-in area / some bedrooms completely redone. Looks good so far!
Thanks for the update - could we trouble you to snap some photos of the new spaces? They’ve been hard to come by other than a few renderings of the public spaces and restaurants, but haven’t seen a thing regarding the new rooms.

khabah
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by khabah
Thanks for the update - could we trouble you to snap some photos of the new spaces? They’ve been hard to come by other than a few renderings of the public spaces and restaurants, but haven’t seen a thing regarding the new rooms.
Sure here are some pics of the reception and restaurant!

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:24 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
After essentially begging the hotel via e-mail for several months for images of the new rooms and receiving worthless responses ranging from "we're still making final touches to the design" [while the renovations are physically happening] to "we'll show you soon," I managed to pluck these two images of the new rooms from a fresh TripAdvisor review. Looks posh - very grey which I like, and far more upscale than a typical Le Méridien. Hopefully official photography will be released soon.

khabah

Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
After essentially begging the hotel via e-mail for several months for images of the new rooms and receiving worthless responses ranging from "we're still making final touches to the design" [while the renovations are physically happening] to "we'll show you soon," I managed to pluck these two images of the new rooms from a fresh TripAdvisor review. Looks posh - very grey which I like, and far more upscale than a typical Le Méridien. Hopefully official photography will be released soon.

khabah

Swanky!

Do we know when the renovation will be entirely done?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by SkyElite
Swanky!

Do we know when the renovation will be entirely done?
Per GM, around August 2020.

I’m heading there in April for three nights and booked a newly renovated junior suite at a very good rate! Will report back
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Per GM, around August 2020.

I’m heading there in April for three nights and booked a newly renovated junior suite at a very good rate! Will report back
I did not have one of the newly renovated junior suites when I stayed there during NYE but the Club Lounge was excellent. I am interested in hearing how you liked the new suites for future reference since I travel to Shanghai often.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Just finishing up a five night reward stay here. It looks like all the renovations have been completed, except for the gym/pool/salon, which are still closed. No alternatives for gym was available when I enquired.

Upgrade:
I messaged hotel through the Bonvoy app to see what was available. Staff said they could only upgrade to Discovery Room. Staff said that many floors were closed due to low occupancy. When I expressed my desire for a Junior Suite, they offered to upgrade for CNY100++/night, which was the price difference. I accepted since I was traveling with the wife and could use the extra space. The base rooms are quite small.

Breakfast:
Offered in the main restaurant only. The restaurant is huge and tons of food was available, however breakfast time still managed to be very hectic. Staff tried their best to keep up. I opted for outside options most of the time, as this is Shanghai after all.

Lounge:
Very large and well stocked. Afternoon tea at 2:30 and Happy Hour at 5:30. People seem to enjoy having a full dinner in the lounge. Drink selection was not very exciting.

Can't be beat if you want to be right in the middle of the touristy area, hustle bustle, tons of shopping and food options around. Short walk to the Bund. Obviously this depends on the purpose of the trip.

Rooms:
I snapped some pics of the renovate Junior Suite (corner room). Overall I quite like the brass fittings and colour scheme, very tasteful. Although I can see the renovations might have been a bit rushed and a bit sloppy, didn't bother me too much. Light switches are functional and electronic curtains are good. Lots of universal outlets and USB ports also. Of course it's no where near as nice as the typical suite upgrade at St Regis.

Things I didn't like:
- The elevator dance was very confusing at first, and becomes mildly annoying once you figure out how to get around
- Breakfast was super crowded and hectic, a lounge option would be nice
- Lack of gym & pool with no alternative

JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fluffydot
Just finishing up a five night reward stay here. It looks like all the renovations have been completed, except for the gym/pool/salon, which are still closed. No alternatives for gym was available when I enquired.

Upgrade:
I messaged hotel through the Bonvoy app to see what was available. Staff said they could only upgrade to Discovery Room. Staff said that many floors were closed due to low occupancy. When I expressed my desire for a Junior Suite, they offered to upgrade for CNY100++/night, which was the price difference. I accepted since I was traveling with the wife and could use the extra space. The base rooms are quite small.
Is this a joke? So they had a Jr Suite and refused their obligation to upgrade, instead they would charge you? I'd open a file with Marriott about this. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Is this a joke? So they had a Jr Suite and refused their obligation to upgrade, instead they would charge you? I'd open a file with Marriott about this. Absolutely ridiculous.
No joke. I have a screen cap of the convo. Who should I get in touch with at Marriott?

I think if they proactively offer Junior Suites to Plats, this property would be a very good option in Shanghai at this price point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.