Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Dena, a Tribute Portfolo Hotel (formerly Sheraton Pasadena) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Dena, a Tribute Portfolo Hotel (formerly Sheraton Pasadena) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Question Pasadena...Seriously?

It just seems so implausible. It can be an hour drive at many times of day and even with a great negotiated price I can't see it making sense.

Only thing I can think is some TA not familiar with LA at all made the deal, since it's not that many miles, per se.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mallthus
It just seems so implausible. It can be an hour drive at many times of day and even with a great negotiated price I can't see it making sense.

Only thing I can think is some TA not familiar with LA at all made the deal, since it's not that many miles, per se.

I hear you, I was floored myself. The bartender at the Torrance Hilton informed me "they all scattered and a bunch of them went to Pasadena" as he was drowning his own sorrows. I just so happened to be staying in Pasadena and upon exiting the elevator in the lobby around 8:00 PM was greated with the most beautiful sight known to any traveling man; about 10 Virgin FAs in full regalia! After picking my tongue up off the floor I proceeded to the bar to confirm what my eyes had just witnessed.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:04 pm
SST

I've been seeing NZ Flight attendants lately at the Universal City Hilton. Seems like Pasadena and UC are a LONG way away from LAX, though. Wonder if that means the downtown LA hotel rates are going up again soon...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I have stayed at the Pasadena Westin some and every time have seen a Qantas crew arrive or depart from that hotel. Pasadena does seem like quite a distance, but if you think about the departure and arrival times of flights to and from OZ, the traffic to LAX wouldn't be too bad. Still is quite a drive though.

Or who knows, maybe Qantas launched SYD-BUR, and no one told us
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I spoke to a QF flight attendant on a SYD-LAX flight once and he mentioned that when they work longhaul flights like that, their contract mandates a minimum layover of 72 hours. With 3 full days at their disposal to enjoy So Cal it makes sense that the company would book its crews (and the union probably has to approve the hotel too) in a location with lots of activity and things to do as opposed to some airport hotel.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:59 pm

Not sure whether this is a recent change but I have been seeing the SQ girls in the Biltmore in downtown LA of late.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I know where the Varig flight attendants sunbathe in Manhattan Beach
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat, all the others basic
This is nothing new

I have been staying at the Pasadena Sheraton since Jan 2004, and the Quantas crews have been staying there for most of that time. While that bar can be lively on occasion, you can often find the crews (and other yuppies) in a more lively spot 1 block away at the wine bar at the Paseo mall on the upstairs terrace.

And by the way, non rush hour, you can make it to LAX from that Sheraton in 30 minutes exactly... rush hour forget about it.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by paullevi
I know where the Varig flight attendants sunbathe in Manhattan Beach
Where?!! (see my location)

<======
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by clover
Where?!! (see my location)

<======
My friend and I have spotted at two locations: 29th and also at El Porto. Friend even had the chutzpah to go talk to them once. If I didnt look so awfully out of shape in a wetsuit, I wouldve joined him ^
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:57 pm

Should it not be about the soul and not the body? At least as far as they are concerned
Originally Posted by paullevi
If I didnt look so awfully out of shape in a wetsuit, I wouldve joined him ^
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:05 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
This needs to be a sticky, truely useful info.
REN-LB(i know-the wrong forum) was full of BA FAs last I was there(ok BA not=SQ)

Damn why did I even bother to write this
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:10 am

Sheraton Pasadena - WEAK, but the error helps

All - less-than-spectacular stay at the Sheraton Pasadena last week. Notwithstanding a cockroach in the lobby (not exactly disturbing to a New Yorker, but still...) my experience was marked by:

1) lengthy midnight check-in for my party of 5, separate rooms, separate bills.

2) I received my key last, found my room, went in...and it was somebody else's room. Thankfully somebody I KNOW, but nonetheless unacceptable. The guy was already in bed. What if it has been a stranger?

3) Went to another colleague's room to call for a new key to be brought up.

4) Went to the lobby after 20 minute wait.

5) Finally got right key, and into to right room.

Anyhow, upon check-out, the morning's clerk offered my 500 bonus points for the "trouble" I experienced the night before. Too weary to push for more, I accepted.

Now the good part - because of the mix-up, the system apparently credited for me two separate stays. 2 500-point amenities, 2 credits towards 2007 Platinum, 2 50% bonuses, and since I'm enrolled in the triple points promotion (7EL), I doubled up on that, too. All in, around 4,500 points for a single night stay.

Granted, I may be risking my windfall by discussing it so openly, though I now consider the reward to be commensurate with the completely unacceptable experience of being given somebody else's room, and then having to schlep back to the lobby once they refused to bring me a new key.

Jamie
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:06 am

Try the Westin Pasadena next time. I found it to be a very nice hotel, and a perfect stopover when flying out of BUR (after working in the SoCal area).

M8
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
The Sheraton used to be the Holiday Inn and the first manager they brought in did wonders for customer service. After he left things started to slide, and I also switched to the Westin or the Hilton, depending on the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.