Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Hotel Website: JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort and Spa

Daily resort fee of USD 30 added to rate includes self-parking, mini-golf, spa fitness center, golf bag storage and more

resort fee (regularly $30; includes self-parking) for Silver is $25, Gold is $20 and for Platinum it's $15

Report in Jan 2014 that the Japanese restaurant offers an early-bird special from Sunday to Thursday until 6PM, which can save substantially on meal costs there.
Print Wikipost

Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Hello. Checking to see if anyone has any updates on this property. I have an upcoming stay and would like to know about the Platinum benefits. I called and was told Platinum members get the resort fee waived but have to pay for parking. My main question is about using the spa facilities as I received conflicting answers. I was told that Platinums can use the spa workout facilities free of charge. Then I received conflicting information about using the spa pool. Does anyone know if the spa pool is free for Platinums if they are not getting a spa treatment? Also, do they have waiter/waitress service by the spa pool for cocktails? Any help or additional information is appreciated!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I stayed there along with another couple that are Gold last thanksgiving (2012) so don't know if things have changed since then. I (Platinum) got the entire resort fee, which included self-parking, waived but also got the platinum arrival gift (it's not like waiving the resort fee took the place of the gift), while the Golds had it discounted to only pay a parking fee. If I had wanted valet, then there was a fee. Self-parking was plentiful though, and while it seemed far away at first, once I figured out I could take a shortcut through the convention area it was much better.

Was upgraded to a quiet room with a really nice view of the mountains, lake and golf course. The place is huge however, so when I say a quiet room, that basically means it is FAR from the lobby and pools. This was ok though, because there were tons of kids running around the open hallways above the lobby.

I was also told at the time that I had access to all spa facilities, but never actually used them to verify it.

They definitely had pool service, but the hotel was absolutely packed so it was very slow. We ended up going to the pool bar ourselves or making other arrangements. Depending on when you are going though I wouldn't necessarily count on it during the week, only on weekends during the low season.

Also, at least that weekend, the sushi bar in the lobby was surprisingly good.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:00 pm

It does... thank you very much hrdjeepzj.

If any Platinums have been there more recently please let me know if self-parking was free for you as well.

I will be there during low season (weekend in May) so they shouldn't be too crowded. Good tip on walking through the convention center from the parking lot... I will have to remember that. If anyone out there knows if the spa pool has drink service, please let me know. Also let me know if use of the spa pool is complimentary for Platinums as well. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mindrisa
It does... thank you very much hrdjeepzj.

If any Platinums have been there more recently please let me know if self-parking was free for you as well.

I will be there during low season (weekend in May) so they shouldn't be too crowded. Good tip on walking through the convention center from the parking lot... I will have to remember that. If anyone out there knows if the spa pool has drink service, please let me know. Also let me know if use of the spa pool is complimentary for Platinums as well. Thanks!
If you could do a trip report after your stay it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you could do a trip report after your stay it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Will do... but I'm hoping some other Platinum member can do one before I head over there in May!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Good tip on walking through the convention center from the parking lot... I will have to remember that.
And just to be clear, we were in the southern "wing" of the hotel, so that is why it was a shortcut (should be clear once you look at a map of the place). If you're on the other side, would probably be worse!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:52 am

Looks like they raised the resort fee from $27 to $28 per night. Also, self parking went from $15 to $17 per night. When I made my reservation I was told that Platinum's get the resort fee waived but still have to pay $15/night to self park. Hopefully they 'grandfather' me in at the $15/night rate but not worth saying more than a couple of words if they do say I have to pay the $17/night. I'll bring my reservation print out that does show I made the booking before the price increase though as at least the lower resort fee amount is printed on it... too bad I don't have proof of the parking price per night!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I stayed at this property a couple of decades ago and loved the rooms and the resort. Fond memories as it was the first JW resort that I visited so a big wow factor for me. Sounds like not much has changed though hopefully the rooms were renovated. Sorry to hear that the Italian place has closed, the food was good there.

I am a bit incredulous to learn that they charge parking on top of the resort fee?? That is a huge rip, especially given the abundancy of parking - this is not a city property where parking spaces take up valuable real estate. I guess that's why rates have dropped - they make it up on the back end. I guess this is one place where Plat pays off in fee avoidance if nothing else.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

I must not have been clear... parking is included in the resort fee but if you are platinum, you don't have to pay the full resort fee. They 'waive' it and you only have to pay the $17 for parking.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
A Few Shots + Resort Map from June 2009

I do remember that it was hot. And that I was foolish enough to check out after having played a round of golf, go to a banquet and then drive home - and be utterly exhausted and way too tired.

Anyway, here's the resort layout map from that era - Front Side:

Back Side:

Daytime shot from 5th floor southeast view back toward the lobby and lobby bar:

Same shot at night:

Stitched panorama toward the Springs Pool and directly south:

I think this was the balcony view from my room:

Do they still have these egg-shaped coffee carafe's?

For the golfers, here are two views from the golf shop:

And one back toward the main resort:

For what it's worth. Anyway, would love to go back - but when it's cooler.

David

Last edited by DELee; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:23 pm Reason: stupid greedy photo storage website
Old May 21, 2013, 10:21 am

TRIP REPORT

I just got back spending a few nights at this location (Checked out yesterday).

Platinum Elite benefits - I was upgraded to a Signature View Room which really had a nice view facing the back of the hotel overlooking the main pool, part of the golf course, and the mountains behind everything. The resort fee is waived for Platinums but I still had to pay for parking. I elected for self-parking. When I made the reservation self-parking was $15 but now it has gone up to $17. At checkout I mentioned this to the FDC and he didn't seem happy to change the parking price for me but did it anyway. Additionally, the Resort Fee (which I did not have to pay) has increased a few dollars as well.

Spa - Another perk of being platinum was the free use of the spa facilities including the spa pool. Tim, the spa pool attendant, was wonderful. He was very helpful and friendly including setting up chairs, walking around refilling water, etc. I did not use any of the saunas or hot tubs but the spa was really nice including providing robes/sandals. One thing I was surprised about was at the spa, including poolside service, the only alcoholic options were beer and wine. I would have expected daiquiris or other frozen cocktails to be options as well. They did have smoothies and I saw some people ordering those and bringing their own run to pour in.

Main Pool - It was packed on Saturday. We did not sit by it but walked by it a couple of times and heard others talking about it. It looked like a giant party (almost a frat party) with a lot of drunk, loud people looking to hook up. This included an overweight girl in a biking dancing while standing on a table or chair (didn't care to stare and get details). The party scene may have been for me ten years ago, but not anymore. On Sunday the main pool was closed for setup of an evening function (which if I didn't have access to the spa pool would have angered me as the other smaller pool was then packed with no chairs left) and on Monday it wasn't really crowded at all. Wristbands are needed to access the main pool on Saturday.

Dining - We ate dinner one night at Mikado's and had sushi. I was surprised at the sushi as I was not expecting anything much. We took the boat ride to get there which was fun. Luckily, we did not have to wait long for the boat ride but over the weekend the line was pretty long. We also ate at the Spa Bistro and the food was average. The last night my wife felt ill so we ordered room service. It arrived much faster than I expected and quicker than the time I was told over the phone which was nice.

Location - There are many restaurants around the hotel (we had a car) along with shops. There is a little marketplace across the street with a restaurant that serves dinner along with a Ralph's. They do sell alcohol at the Ralph's which came in handy for the mini fridge located in the room.

Complaints - Called and requested two extra bath towels. Waited about 1/2 hour and they never came. Needed them at that moment so poked my head out and was able to get them from the housekeeping cart. We left the room about an hour later and when we got back to the room there was a message asking us if we received the towels and if we needed anything else. So that means they called at least one and a half hours after we requested the towels to find out if we received them. We did not get them in a timely fashion - I am not sure if they came up to deliver them 1.5 hours later or never came but either way, it wasn't a big deal as the cart was in the hall. My only other major complaint was that the hotel serves Pepsi instead of Coke. I was glad Ralph's was just across the street and we had the fridge .

Let me know if you have any questions. I did not golf and I did not pay extra for the lounge access.

Last edited by mindrisa; May 21, 2013 at 10:27 am
Old May 21, 2013, 10:47 am

Thanks for the detailed trip report!

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
I stayed here a few weeks ago on points, and we had a pretty standard room - though it did have a nice view of the mountains. They did offer the standard platinum arrival gift, and a card describing the plat benefits:
"Welcome to the JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort and Spa. We truly appreciate your loyalty and support. As a valued Platinum Elite member, it is our pleasure to waive the resort fee and reward you with the following complimentary services and amenities:
Spa and Fitness Center Access (present this card at the desk)
In-Room High Speed Internet Access
Nightly Turndown Service
18-Hole Putting Course
Lawn Games
If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to call on us."
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
As a valued Platinum Elite member, it is our pleasure to waive the resort fee
Thanks - I'll update the sticky to reflect this.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How are the renovated restaurants? Lakeview used to be really good and have quite an amazing dinner buffet one or two nights a week that was worth it for the desserts alone... although I heard the head chef moved to the Marquis in NYC.

Anyone know if they still do something like that at the new restaurant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.