FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/552628-desert-springs-jw-marriott-resort-spa-master-thread.html)

traveltoomuch Feb 18, 1999 8:40 am

Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Just returned from vacation in Palm Springs. Stayed at the Desert Springs Marriott (Resort & Spa). I highly recommend the property to anyone. The amenities are endless. (Golf/Tennis/Spa/Pools/Restuarants/Shopping, & more).
The most note worthy item is the staff. I felt like I was staying at a Ritz-Carlton. Every staff member spoke (i.e., "Good Morning/Evening", "I see you've been shopping", etc). This was so refreshing! I give this property "Two thumbs up!" And will stay there in the future.

TheAuditor Feb 18, 1999 9:00 am

TTM: I suspect that you weren't there on a windy/sandy day. I agree that it is a nice property, but the weather could really ruin a good vacation (that includes the entire summer for Palm Springs http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif ).

[This message has been edited by TheAuditor (edited 02-18-99).]

ROADRUNNER Aug 8, 2000 6:46 pm

But the place is FULL of Easteners using their awards, who love it year around, hot or warm. It is still better then most places. I lived just a couple of miles away, till I opted for San Diego 2 years ago.
That hotel is FULL most of the time, since the day it opened. It is one of the better spots for a vacation. The best season is Sept October, and March to May. Warm dry and full of flowers everywhere.

bdschobel Aug 9, 2000 7:20 am

I've stayed there several times and agree that it is a wonderful hotel. Took my family on vacation once, and they loved it, too. Summer in Palm Springs is hot, but it's dry heat (ha-ha). Get a date shake in Indio to cool off.

Bruce

cactuspete Feb 21, 2001 10:51 pm

Bumping this forward to see if anyone else has any opinions on this property.

Hawkeye Feb 22, 2001 9:29 am

Desert Springs is big and beautiful. I especially like the boats in the lobby that will take you to one of the restaurants.

The Renaissance Esmerelda was also nice. It's got a little sand beach by the pool and is right across from the Hyatt.

Rancho Las Palmas is quieter and seemed to be more family oriented. It had small two floor buildings spread around campus-style.

AtlMan Feb 22, 2001 9:35 am

All of the five restaurants have been renovated over the last two years, and all get their fair share of business from the locals, which is not common for hotel restaurants.

They have approximately a dozen retail shops, a 30K square foot spa facility. All guest rooms will be renovated beginning in early May and will be completed in September. This renovation includes the guest room corridors, which will get new lighter colored carpet and drapes covering window areas.

The lobby was renovated last fall and mostly consisted of new light fixtures, a new marble center at the main entrance, and new carpeting (same pattern) where it was needed. Also many of the stairs leading from the lobby down to the boat landing received new marble like covering.

It is a large hotel, with nearly 900 rooms, and distances are sometimes great from the main lobby. The advantage most times is that if you are far away from the lobby, you are close to other things such as the spa, golf shop/check-in, the shops, or restaurants. Superior view rooms primarily overlook the large man-made lake off the back of the property with the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains off in the distance.

Two 18-hole courses: the Palms, and the Valley. Plenty of tennis courts including grass, and some are lighted. Costa's Nightclub open 8p-2a 7-days a week. Don't let them put you in rooms with last three digits 203-221, at least for the 4-6 floors. The club is directly below on floor 1, but the vibration from the bangin' tunes can sometimes be heard and felt in those rooms.

They do take customer service seriously at this property. Much repeat business for both meetings/conventions and pleasure. That is the true sign of the popularity or success of a service related business.

Weather wise, let's see. All this week it has been in the mid-70s (seasonable) and no high wind / sand storms to speak of. That does not happen all that often, actually. I have lived in Palm Springs for more than four years now, so I think I can comment on the weather. Having said that, yes, the summers are sweltering at times, but not unbearable.

Guess I better call it quits for now. If you would like to know details, e-mail me or reply to this topic. Be more than happy....

AtlMan

cactuspete Feb 22, 2001 1:53 pm

Thanks, AtlMan and Hawkeye. Sounds like this would be a good choice for a weekend golf getaway. Any thoughts on how the Marriott stacks up against the Westin Mission Hills?

OMNI to Hawkeye: Any chance that you are an Iowa Hawkeye?

AtlMan Feb 22, 2001 3:56 pm

Believe the Westin recently completed installation of the Heavenly Bed in all of their 500+ rooms. It is more secluded than the Desert Springs. Sits out by itself and is part of a large master-planned community called appropriately enough, Mission Hills. Think there are at least two courses to choose from there.

The Westin is closer to Palm Springs, about 12-minutes from Downtown - Palm Canyon Drive.

The Desert Springs, as I said, will be undergoing a complete rooms renovation beginning in spring. They do use true mattresses at this resort. Wanted to point that out as many Marriott properties use that half foam mattress concoction. All but about 25 of the rooms have balconies, some very large. Large enough to have a few friends over for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.

It is much closer to the restaurants and shops in Palm Desert along Hwy 111 and El Paseo. There are five restaurants on the property plus Morton's, Gila, and City Wok right across the street. The bellstand also will shuttle you to the Marriott Rancho Las Palmas to visit their spa, restaurants, or to golf. Las Palmas will bring you back.

All depends on what you are looking for, I guess, and if you want the ability to do things without the need to drive.

Oh, and I spoke too soon about the wind. Wouldn't you know it's kickin' up so bad right not that just a minute ago I couldn't even see the hills that sit just south of the airport. And the palms were doin' a serious dance outside my office window. Go away, WIND!

Go visit TheAuditor over in AZ.....

AtlMan

ROADRUNNER Feb 25, 2001 5:04 am

The Westin Mission Hills was right across Gerald Ford drive from my home. About 5 years ago or so, it was bought by a Mexican corporation of some sort. They had had a very good restaurant and many locals went there. It was one of the few places, that I had a 'favorite' waiter, who clued me in on the changes that occured. But like so many things, it changed with the NEW management, who were rather arrogent and indifferent to the consummer. Prices went up and quality down on the food service. Serving staff was not at all happy, since they lost a lot of their regular customers. I haven't been back! If it changed in the last few years, I don't know. But it was a regular stop in the early 1990's, before the clientel changed to more 'international'! I often wondered if there was a Mexican Mafia? Or if one of the 10 richest families from Mexico were involved in that purchase?

Golfing is the name of the game there.

Even the Desert Springs remodeled their Terrace restaurant, and upgraded the prices. That used to be another nice place for regulars. But there are TOO many places in town with better food at reasonable prices.

hnechets Feb 26, 2001 3:03 pm

The replies about comparing the Marriott and the Westin are pretty much right on, in my opinion. Depends on what means more to you.

I stayed at both 3 weeks ago for a company meeting...my company, not the hotel, lost my reservation for the Westin, which is where the all week conference was, and booked me into the Marriott for 2 days, then moved me to the Westin for the other 3 days. So I got to see both.

An interesting thing for me was, the Marriott does not have a concierge lounge. The desk clerk told me they used to several years ago, but cut it out. Didn't know why. This was not a problem for me, but I was a teeny bit disappointed that such a grand property didn't have one.

And, while it is way too OMNI to go into how I found this out, did you know the Westin has some suites with baby grand pianos?

And they have grapefruit trees there. Wow.

ROADRUNNER Feb 26, 2001 3:33 pm

I have noticed that a number of Marriotts do NOT have Concierge Lounges, where we would expect them.
It seems like the properties with many Family vacationers eliminate the problem of many children (includes teenagers) and their parents from taking their meals in the Lounge. It is my feeling that the Concierge is more to help Business types find their way around town, then cater to youngsters tearing up the place. Notice most lounges are CLOSED on weekends now, when families are there and NOT Business types!

bdschobel Feb 27, 2001 4:03 am

I believe that, in general, so-called "resort" properties do not have Concierge Lounges. I can't think of any exceptions off-hand. And the practice regarding weekend hours is completely unpredictable. At a few hotels, the staff doesn't know from week to week whether the Lounge will be open or not. How are customers supposed to plan?

Bruce

fishing flyer Feb 28, 2001 12:51 am

When the Desert Springs Resort first opened they did have a Concierge Lounge and Concierge rooms in the same wing. There was keyed access to the wing.

They took it out a number of years ago. I was told because too many people were eating their meals there instead of using room service and the resturaunts. Also, they wanted to convert the lounge space into a revenue producing room.

cactuspete May 14, 2001 1:06 pm

Second-hand trip report, of sorts. The weekend golf getaway I was looking at turned out to be a girls weekend for my wife and her friends. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif But she really enjoyed the Marriott, with rave reviews for the golf, pool area, restaurants and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eek.gif shops. They were, however, disappointed in the rooms - - not the quality or cleanliness that they had expected for $500+/night. And there was a mixup at the front desk re: assigning adjoining non-smoking rooms, which was not handled very well.