Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ashley1245
After sending a DM to the Bonvoy twitter account, I got a follow up email today. They are offering to refund the points that I used to book the room, or to rebook the room at the same points rate. I'm not sure how they would use my points to book a room at the new property, but that's the email I received. Just thought I'd update those who are in a similar position.
I’m going to guess they might mean that they’re able to use your Marriott points to book a room at another Marriott property at the same category level: I.e. they’re hanging you out to dry.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/tahiti/polynesie-francaise/l-ancien-hotel-meridien-en-partie-brule-pendant-la-nuit-1450481.html

https://www.radio1.pf/brasier-maitrise-au-meridien-de-punaauia/

AT THE MÉRIDIEN DE PUNAAUIA, A FIRE AND QUESTIONS

13DEC2023

©André Shan Roopinia / Vaitiare Pereyre

An impressive fire broke out this Tuesday evening within the grounds of the former Méridien de Punaauia, which became the Tahiti ia ora Beach Resort, before closing its doors in 2020. The flames ravaged one of the hotel's annexes , on the lagoon side, but spared the main building thanks to the intervention of around fifteen firefighters from Punaauia and Paea. The causes of this fire remain to be determined, but some already suspect fraudulent use of the old fare kitchens which went up in smoke.

Read also: The ex-Méridien de Punaauia could reopen in May 2024

“It’s from the Meridien!” ". Shortly after 9 p.m. this Tuesday evening, the first images of the fire made the rounds on social networks. And they are impressive: for long minutes the flames and incandescent ashes rise several tens of meters high, soon enveloped in a thick cloud of smoke. The firefighters from Punaauia, whose station is barely two kilometers away, are the first on the scene before being joined by their colleagues from Paea. Relief when taking out the lances: it is not the main building of the hotel, recognizable by its large wooden tiled roofs, which is affected, but an annex, located between the beach and the swimming pool. A fare surrounded by a large wooden deck and which hosted, before the establishment's closure with the Covid crisis in 2020, the Le Carré restaurant, its bar and its kitchens. Two hours later, these premises were completely destroyed, but the rest of the site was spared and the fire contained.

“Widespread conflagration”

“Due to the fact that the annex is completely separated from the central building, and perhaps because the firefighters arrived quickly, we did not have to take measures such as evacuating local residents,” breathes Yann Leu, municipal councilor in charge of security in Punaauia, and first representative of the town hall on site. The fire remained fairly contained.” The firefighters – around fifteen in total, as well as two specialized vehicles – still describe an “impressive” blaze. A “widespread conflagration”, specifies Cyril Chervy, head of department of the Punaauia emergency center, who says he is relieved at the absence of victims or electrical complications in this building which is supposed to have been abandoned for more than three years:

Audio Player

Because the former Méridien, which became the Tahiti Ia ora Beach Resort by Sofitel in 2018, six years after its purchase by Fréderick Gray's group, has not seen a customer since 2020. The doors of the 4-star did not have reopened after the first Covid confinement, and, given the financial difficulties of its owner, its operating company ended up being liquidated and its employees laid off at the end of 2022. In July, the Moana Nui group, controlled by the businessman Yves Buhagiar was chosen to take over the walls, promising a renovation and reopening “before the Olympic Games” in July 2024. It remains to be seen what impact this fire will have on the work.

Photos Vaitiare Pereyre

Building guarded but kitchens used?

It remains to be seen, above all, what are the causes of the disaster. They were obviously not yet known last night. “It will be up to the gendarmerie to carry out the investigation”, specify the firefighters. Among the local residents drawn to the surroundings of the hotel by the flames, many want to believe it was intentional or arson, some recalling that the establishment, even abandoned, was “always guarded”. Yann Leu raises the possibility of fraudulent use of the fare kitchens. “But we don’t know. Once we have well contained the fire, the most important thing will be to determine the starting point of the fire, specifies the deputy mayor. We'll see after "

Audio Player

Comments collected by Vaitiare Pereyre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.