Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by crazyit

...BTW, the Hilton in PPT should have closed last year. What happened of this Hotel?
Yes, it's been gone since late March 2010. The last time I was in Papeete, in Feb 2011, we stayed at Le Méridien for a few days so we didn't need a hotel near the airport. I never even noticed that the Hilton was gone. On the return from IC Moorea, we took a day package at IC Papeete because the flight to IPC/SCL leaves late at night.
Old May 23, 2012, 1:23 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by crazyit
Thanks Ajnaro, it will be just a rest stay, upon arrival all the way from Europe, so the most important will be a good bed and decent room....
Ended up staying at the Meridien upon arrival to Tahiti (on points for the night and on a day rate for the early morning arrival) and at the IC (again on points) for the night before early morning departure from the airport. While location and view is slightly better for the IC , room (upgraded by one level at both locations), service and benefits / treatment for elite card holders was way better at the Meridien. Also, as Hotel, this was also more cozy and stlish. Well, stayed also at the Hiltons in Bora-Bora and Moorea on the same trip and they are on a completely different level , with the BBN the best of the lot.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Use suite upgrade?

Based on reviews, sounds like it's not worth using a suite upgrade on a one-night stay?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:41 pm

stayed at the LM Tahiti for 2 nights a few days ago. I am a plat50 but didn't use my upgrades. I had originally booked for one night thinking I would arrive on Monday night, but it was actually Sunday night! I misjudged the time difference and landed 830pm without a room on the first night and a disgruntled new wife. I called LM and they informed me that they did not have any room available. I asked about forced platinum availability (rack rate), and i think that was when the front desk agent realized I was a plat member. He asked for my res number. After verifying, he promptly advised me that it would not be a problem getting a room a slightly higher rate (I ended up using points instead). Upon arrival, I was told that I would have to move rooms on my 2nd night due to availability. My first night was upgraded to an otw bungalow, and my 2nd night was supposed to be a panoramic view room.

The otw was a great first night, but we were bummed that we had to switch rooms. As we were moving out, I was informed that we were being moved to the presidential suite! 180usd + 12k pts for otw and prez suite ain't too shabby.

There were a couple hiccups during my stay though. 1. Breakfast felt a little dirty: things were just a bit messy and didnt feel very hygienic. 2. I booked my cab to the ferry terminal (for moorea) the day before departure. I checked out and asked for the cab. It was apparent that no cab was booked. After a few calls, the front desk agent said it was on it's way. 20 minutes later the cab came. I took my luggage and threw it on to the cab since I was in a hurry. It was apparent that no cab was booked for me.

I ended up just making my ferry, but that was a huge negative in an otherwise excellent overall experience.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by bouncingbug
stayed at the LM Tahiti for 2 nights a few days ago. I am a plat50 but didn't use my upgrades. I had originally booked for one night thinking I would arrive on Monday night, but it was actually Sunday night! I misjudged the time difference and landed 830pm without a room on the first night and a disgruntled new wife. I called LM and they informed me that they did not have any room available. I asked about forced platinum availability (rack rate), and i think that was when the front desk agent realized I was a plat member. He asked for my res number. After verifying, he promptly advised me that it would not be a problem getting a room a slightly higher rate (I ended up using points instead). Upon arrival, I was told that I would have to move rooms on my 2nd night due to availability. My first night was upgraded to an otw bungalow, and my 2nd night was supposed to be a panoramic view room.

The otw was a great first night, but we were bummed that we had to switch rooms. As we were moving out, I was informed that we were being moved to the presidential suite! 180usd + 12k pts for otw and prez suite ain't too shabby.

There were a couple hiccups during my stay though. 1. Breakfast felt a little dirty: things were just a bit messy and didnt feel very hygienic. 2. I booked my cab to the ferry terminal (for moorea) the day before departure. I checked out and asked for the cab. It was apparent that no cab was booked. After a few calls, the front desk agent said it was on it's way. 20 minutes later the cab came. I took my luggage and threw it on to the cab since I was in a hurry. It was apparent that no cab was booked for me.

I ended up just making my ferry, but that was a huge negative in an otherwise excellent overall experience.
So you are in Tahiti now? Looking forward to your trip report...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by lewende
So you are in Tahiti now? Looking forward to your trip report...
Done with Tahiti and moorea. On day 1 of bora bora! Will definitely post details of my experience at LM Tahiti, IC moorea and ST Regis bora bora in the next couple weeks!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
My first stay at Le Meridien Tahiti

We arrived during the early evening and had a confirmation for a Junior Suite Upgrade. I checked if a larger suite was available, but was first replied that they had none available and that there were given only upon availability..... After a short conversation on a jokingly mood, one was found.

However, the welcome was quite different from the one that we received at Le Meridien Bora Bora, a week earlier. We really felt expected at this last property and a bunch of gifts were left for us in one of the best located over the water bungalow.

The 'Senior' Suite was quite large, with a good bed and a nice Illy espresso machine (with no water in it). No gift, no snack, no fruit basket, nothing, nada, not even a welcome note or the turn-down bed service. The downside of being spoiled is that it's tough to come back to the regular treatment.

On previous instances, we had stayed at the InterContinental Tahiti, which is closer to the airport. We found the Le Meridien more updated and a better choice. It is not that far from the airport. On Sunday morning, there is a close by local market, that is busy very early.

We had an early flight departure and a mini breakfast buffet was available in the lobby. The pilot and co-pilots of our aircraft were already having their breakfast, when we arrived. The ones from the same plane, that landed a moment earlier, just arrived as we were getting in our taxi (tip: if you book a taxi prior to 6:00 am, the fare will include a night surcharge).
Excellent croissant and chocolate croissant basket, fruit salad and yogurt, etc..., as well as the Illy espresso machine.
Be ready to gain some weight, if you also have access to the lounge at the airport, with very good 'petits fours' cakes. That is a triple breakfast if you include the one in the aircraft (they also still serve Champagne in EC on AF)!).
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
We flew from LAX to Tahiti and arrived at airport at 10:00pm. Customs and immigration was easy. We took a cab (subject to the night time rate of 3,450 CFP plus 100 CFP per bag) from the airport to the hotel. The hotels do not have shuttle service, due to Tahiti wanting to create jobs for locals.

The cab ride is about 10 minutes and very overpriced (common place in exotic locations). We arrived to hotel at 10:30pm and, as noted by many people in other forums, the hotel was a local hot spot. There were a ton of locals in the parking lot and in the hotel partying it up. I had also read that the locals get use of the pools on the weekends, so it is often very packed even if not many people are staying at the hotel. It was not an issue for us, but could be for others.

We booked a cash and points stay for the basic garden room. We were pleasantly surprised upon check-in being upgraded to an over the water bungalow. With that said, the check-in guy was very unfriendly, but the upgrade made up for it. We selected the continental breakfast as our amenity.

The cart ride from the hotel to the over the weater bungalow is a little odd, as it goes through the next door neighbors back yard and then to the bungalows. The bungalows were a decent size and had a patio. However, it appears that none of them have access to the water. The water seemed to be shallow around the bungalows. The bungalows have blinds that open up to allow cross breeze and the furnishings were ok. There were some bugs in the bungalow, but it did not bother us. It is an exotic location and expected. We spent the night and then enjoyed the morning sitting on the patio watching the surf break off in the distance. While the water was shallow, there were a good amount of different types of fish swimming around the coral.

We went to breakfast in the late AM and were pleasantly surprised to find out that the continental breaksfast is really a full breakfast (american style). The breakfast was ok and filled us up, but nothing spetacular.

Since we were heading to the St. Regis Bora Bora (which we are currently at), we were here only one night and it was a good stop over place for us since we had the overwater bungalow. With the noise and dogs barking around the property, we may not have felt the same if we were in the section of the hotel by the parking lot with the partying going on or the section by the next door neighbor with the dogs.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:18 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The "locals in the pools" on weekends are not random residents, but wealthy locals who pay $550 for a one night stay for two including a buffet dinner in show night. They then get a late checkout on Sunday included which is why they often take two rooms for $700 with the second room for two kids.

It's a popular night out for wealthy Tahitians, many of whom do it at the InterContinental Tahiti, InterContinental Moorea and Le Meridien in rotation each month.

They don't exactly lower the tone of the place, as they mainly earn well in excess of €100,000 per year!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by DCF
The "locals in the pools" on weekends are not random residents, but wealthy locals who pay $550 for a one night stay for two including a buffet dinner in show night. !
Less than 3 weeks ago, I paid XPF 18,700 for the night ($215 incl. service charge and city tax - no dinner buffet incl.) and was upgraded to a suite.

I was also told that residents were getting promotion prices for the buffets and that the hotel was one of the social centers of the island on weekends or events, but did not think that the prices were as high as the rate quoted above.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Le Meridien Tahiti Trip Report

We stayed at the Le Meridien for two days before our onward travel to Moorea and Bora Bora. While not up to scale with the Hilton Bora Bora, we still thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. As a platinum member, we were upgraded to a higher floor but still a pretty standard room and we got access to the continental breakfast. As my wife mentioned in her review, the hotel was clean, but a bit dated. However, we really enjoyed the pool and its close proximity to the ocean. We also took the bus from the airport - saving ~$30... it was a little tough but we considered it worth it since we are on a budget!

Last edited by osutraveler; Jun 22, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:46 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Got one night in the area coming up in a few months, before a cruise. What's the current opinion on best value and service for the money. We have more than enough *points that I'd rather use them than cash elsewhere, unless the difference is substantial
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Would also love any recent thoughts on this property. We have a 9:40 pm arrival into PPT in April 2016 and an early morning 8:05 am departure the next morning for the StR Bora Bora--so just a quick 1 night stay.

We considered the IC since it's a bit closer to the airport, so not sure if it's worth the SPG stay for such a brief night. Thoughts? How much closer is the IC compared to the IC to the airport? How far in advance does one need to check in at the Papeete Airport for an inter-island Air Tahiti flight at 8:05 am?

Also, any thoughts on whether it's worth an upgraded room or whether the basic room is best--since we're only there the 1 bare night--would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:38 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Stay at the IC: it's at the end of the runway.

Le Meridien is a 25 minute drive away, but an hour in rush hour - what day of the week are you doing it?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go with IC. LM Tahiti is a spruced up Holiday Inn too far away for overnight stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.