Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Can you open the windows at this hotel ?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:03 pm

Never see this hotel at less than 200 euro per night.
Is it really worth that considering its awkward location, and standard of renovations ?
Seeing how this thread has been pretty much dead since 2018, I would guess not.

Similar hotels in roughly same area (such as the Hilton) go for much less.
Not sure if Westin Milan's high prices are justified.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Sep 1, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent reports?
Pointsaver available at 35,000 and I like the area near the station. Usually stay at Hilton on Galvani but considering using my certificates expiring Dec 31. I am Titanium. Is the lounge open now and will I get complementary breakfast? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
There was never a lounge here, but breakfast was standard for plats, though I have not been in a while.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by ckendall
There was never a lounge here, but breakfast was standard for plats, though I have not been in a while.
Ok thanks re lounge. Have you stayed there recently and if so, any comments?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Ok thanks re lounge. Have you stayed there recently and if so, any comments?
I have moved up the block to the Gallia on my last 10-15 trips. The Westin was nice but the Gallia is nicer with more suites and more suite availability (at least for me, a Plat, who goes 4X per year). Service quality at the Westin was good, not great (somewhat better at the Gallia) as are the food offerings etc.

I have only been to Italy once since Covid and things are different so I would defer to someone who has been to the Westin more recently for current experiences.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:48 am

Stayed here recently for the first time (using points).

My past suspicions were confirmed...this hotel is overpriced based on its location and standard of rooms. Lobby/reception and restaurant areas are very fancy and elegant, but hotel rooms are a bit tired looking. Many rooms have just a bathtub and no walk-in shower. Windows COULD NOT be opened in my room, but windows also had handles with keyholes, so it's possible you can request for them to be opened. I didn't ask, so I'm not sure.

Breakfast buffet is being offered again, but some (not all) items have to be served by the buffet staff.

"Repubblica" station is very close by. This is both a METRO station and a suburban TRAIN station. Make sure you follow the signs and go the correct type of transport. Milan main train station ("Centrale") is 1 metro stop away, or a 10 to 15 min walk down the large avenue "Via Vittor Pisani". A strange street full of lots of restaurants, but also lots of homeless people hanging around.

Overall, for the same price you pay here (200 to 300 euro per night), you can have a hotel much closer to the main train station or a hotel much closer to the city centre. Just as an example, the Hilton near the main train station is similar in service level and offers lower nightly rates than the Westin. The Gallia (also near the train station) is more expensive but the service level and location are much better.

This hotel needs to lower their nighty rates or refurbish their rooms and bathrooms to stay an option for me.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I like this hotel. Old but well kept.

Used a SNA and don't know what kind of room this was but it was a palace. in-room sauna, living room, very nice.

Breakfast was great.

I've seen some critiques about the area and understand them; however, the street next to the hotel that goes towards the shopping district has several ethnic restaurants I would love to try (I was not hungry at the time).

Very convenient to Republicca station.

No pool.

Had a very nice stay and was treated very well. HOWEVER.......once again, properties not honoring stated late check-out benefits - was told 2 PM no problem, 4 PM no way. I did not argue, the guy was so nice and I just wanted to get into the room.
Retiredlife and porphyra like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Any more data points on this? I see it often on Pointsavers which makes me wonder if this is now struggling with the newer hotels opened nearby. Weirdly the nightly rates are still absurd and in competition with the Gallia.

One thing with the rooms I see is the options between "Imperial" and "Contemporary". I take that as marketing speak between rooms that are renovated/refreshed vs those not. Any major differences between the two or are the newer rooms the ones to go for?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by porphyra
Any more data points on this? I see it often on Pointsavers which makes me wonder if this is now struggling with the newer hotels opened nearby. Weirdly the nightly rates are still absurd and in competition with the Gallia.

One thing with the rooms I see is the options between "Imperial" and "Contemporary". I take that as marketing speak between rooms that are renovated/refreshed vs those not. Any major differences between the two or are the newer rooms the ones to go for?
This video should answer a lot of your questions.

Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I've been here 2 hours and am so impressed. This suite is a palace in every sense of the word - so many bathrooms, views of the Duomo, ornate design, and so clean!
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I've been here 2 hours and am so impressed. This suite is a palace in every sense of the word - so many bathrooms, views of the Duomo, ornate design, and so clean!
Well, I wasn't wrong - this was almost a perfect hotel (minus the shower), and I would highly recommend! Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded the day before arrival to one of the Executive Suites with the steam bath
  • Absolutely beautiful design - it was palatial, ornate, grand, and every positive adjective
  • Bed was fantastic - super thick covers, plush pillows, and just-right mattress - note that the bed is two full mattresses pushed together, so you'll want to sleep on either side - no issue with this
  • Wonderful views toward Milan's skyscrapers and the Duomo from the four windows facing multiple directions
  • Great Wi-Fi performance
  • TV had working Chromecast system - while everything was in German, YouTube worked well though tv.marriott.com
  • Good set of two international outlets on the working desk
  • Beautiful bathroom setup with two showers, so much marble, and a crazy steam room that got so steamy (yes, it worked and was crazy)
  • Welcome gift of fruit plate and waters
  • Minibar is complimentary and has assorted non-alcoholic beverages
  • Elite welcome breakfast was quite tasty - full buffet with made-to-order omelets, tasty donuts, delicious coffees (both Americano and latte)
  • Breakfast service was efficient with a huge number of servers
  • Fantastic service attitudes from all four front desk associates I interacted with
    • Rate issue (reset to a previous rate I had before a reservation change) was adjusted back to my latest rate with no pushback after seeing my confirmation email - likely a result of a system upgrade I heard about multiple times
    • The front desk walked up with me to make sure my key (slide-in) would work for my room
    • Just really friendly - assured me that waiting for the Executive Suite was worth it
Cons:
  • Hot water pressure in both showers was lacking, as well as the temperature itself - luckily, the large shower had a door, so it was less drafty and still passable (though not ideal)
​​​​​Tip: Napiz a block away had great service, delicious pizza (Provola e Pepe was so good, as was the special buratta pizza), and fantastic tiramisu - I went two nights in a row!

Overall, I really loved the Westin Palace despite the shower issues and look forward to returning!

Photos:

Old Dec 24, 2022, 11:06 pm

Safe to assume everyone has a great experience when booked to Imperial rooms? But any other category is actually the unrenovated rooms (whether labelled as Classic or Contemporary) and are quite terrible?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Ktraveller
Safe to assume everyone has a great experience when booked to Imperial rooms? But any other category is actually the unrenovated rooms (whether labelled as Classic or Contemporary) and are quite terrible?
Some of the rooms here are renovated??? I sure didn't know!
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Some of the rooms here are renovated??? I sure didn't know!
I believe the room you have is the renovated one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.