Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Ripley62
i was just surprised the Athenee had made up to 6-7,000 THB for a standard room. It does look like a beautiful hotel.
It is quite expensive actually. It is normally around 5k+ THB.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:12 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Ripley62
i was just surprised the Athenee had made up to 6-7,000 THB for a standard room.
I could be wrong but at that price I doubt it was the basic room (Athenee room). Most likely it was something higher such as the Prestige room.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
It is quite expensive actually. It is normally around 5k+ THB.
Originally Posted by escape4
I could be wrong but at that price I doubt it was the basic room (Athenee room). Most likely it was something higher such as the Prestige room.
I am seeing pricing in the 6000-7000 THB range late February / early March. Prices at all the SPG/Marriott properties, especially those around Sukhumvit, seem to be on the rise.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:47 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am seeing pricing in the 6000-7000 THB range late February / early March. Prices at all the SPG/Marriott properties, especially those around Sukhumvit, seem to be on the rise.
Thanks, I stand corrected. I was looking at three different sets of dates in April-May and it was around 5k THB as usual, and also similar rates as 2018 which for various months the prices were on average 5.2k THB according to my records for dates I noted. Only on a couple of occasions in 2018 were the rates above 7k THB, and I even noticed sub-4k THB in June 2018.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember paying something like 3,000 THB for a standard single room several years ago, shortly after their renovations were finished, but this probably was a AAA rate. I don't remember what time of year this would have been.
Kalboz and barracuda93 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Planning a trip here in the first week of June. Any recent reports about lounge access still being a perk for Plat+ guests?

Thanks!

khabah
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:02 am
kkl

Originally Posted by khabah
Planning a trip here in the first week of June. Any recent reports about lounge access still being a perk for Plat+ guests?

Thanks!

khabah
Yup just checked out last night. Lounge access given
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Thanks for the heads-up, @kkl.

I made a booking for June last night and for the first time as a repeat guest, I received an e-mail from the hotel today thanking me for my reservation and then up-selling two categories of suites “to fulfill my highness [sic] experience” of my stay.

Ew. I don’t want this to seem like an overreaction, but I find it extremely offputting to be upsold in general (let alone more than three months out from my intended arrival), to have certain lines of text bolded and to have the penthouse suite with a 1700 USD/night daily up-charge "recommended for me"... all by a luxury-quality hotel to boot.

Yuck.

khabah
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by khabah; Mar 1, 2019 at 3:14 am Reason: Added screen grab of e-mail text.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Some
Physically I do find this hotel at/close to luxury-quality, but I'm afraid I reached the conclusion this hotel falls short of luxury-quality in service terms a while back.
UASPG and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm here after planned stay at HR Bangkok fell through due to booked room not available, unwilling to take downgrade. Very impressed with the pool and the lounge. Is this the nicest SPG/Marriott pool in Bangkok? Suite upgrade appreciated as well.

ETA: Internet's not bad either:

Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 3, 2019 at 4:54 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
PA pool is fabulous. I've spent much time in the shade or sun enjoying the quiet - I've never seen more than a few other guests. For me the pool is far better than SGS. Can swim or relax. SGS pool area is an absolute zoo. Impossible to get seats with family.

I am surprised at how little love PA gets on FT. One of my favorite properties worldwide in Marriott system

Trying to requalify for globalist and thinking of doing so in BKK - but love PA so much probably will stick with it
SFO_FT likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I still remember my "sampling" of the PA ... the only hotel I have ever walked out of in the middle of the night regardless of having a non-refundable rate. Stale old corridors that stank of mould and smoke and a room that carried the same odour... with near constant traffic noise. That was a year ago and I've never set foot in the place since. The duty manager did nothing but remind me that the rate was non refundable if I left. I lodged a complaint with the then SPG corporate and got all my money back plus points and vouchers.

Around 3 months before that I enjoyed a stay in a (paid) suite (the one with the blue rather than red wallpaper), and although the lounge was nice and the pool area was good, I don't remember being particularly blown away. In fact, I remember breakfast and the pool being a bit of a scrum with bussed tourists.

I'm surprised at how much positive feedback this place gets!
EuropeanPete and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I'm here after planned stay at HR Bangkok fell through due to booked room not available, unwilling to take downgrade. Very impressed with the pool and the lounge. Is this the nicest SPG/Marriott pool in Bangkok? Suite upgrade appreciated as well.
I think it is the nicest pool of the SPG hotels, I have yet to try any of the Marriott hotels.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

ETA: Internet's not bad either:

Did they sell your room at the HR?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Did they sell your room at the HR?
They had a guest who wasn't vacating. They were super apologetic, free house car to PA.

I took a look at one of the Regency suites (I had a premium suite booked on a points upgrade). Really cheap build and furnishings. Fake wood vinyl floor, fake wood vinyl doors and cabinetry. Carpets and furniture already showing wear. Not my cup of tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.