Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I have no experience at the Athenée; so I can't help you there. I have friends with kids who have stayed at SGS, and they tell me that 1) the kids love it, and 2) the staff fawns over kids.
Ah, but don't all Thai's fawn over kids?

It never ceases to amaze me how much Thai's (INCLUDING men) fuss over children and thoroughly enjoy them and try to make them smile!
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by estnet
Ah, but don't all Thai's fawn over kids?

It never ceases to amaze me how much Thai's (INCLUDING men) fuss over children and thoroughly enjoy them and try to make them smile!
Ever taken a small child with you to Italy? What you described x100.

It's like walking around with a free biscotti machine.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Any opinions around which hotel is more infant-friendly between the Athenee and SGS? Rates are identical on my dates. I've stayed at the SGS in the past and enjoyed it, but this was long before I had kids so didn't really pay attention to those aspects at the time.
I would say both and most Thai hotels will do their best to have child amenities available for you.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete
Kilian Zoll likes this.

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Current Elite benefits:
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:00 am

We stayed at the PA last December. It was by far one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed in. The rooms were beautifully styled, the beds incredibly comfortable. I enjoyed the pool area.
We stayed here twice and were upgraded to a corner suite the 2nd time.

The spa here is top notch, and the executive lounge was also one of my favorites. The pool area was lovely.

I didn't spend much time walking from the location, we took cabs when we left the resort so I can't speak to the immediate vicinity.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I stayed here, I walked a lot, as far as SGS in one direction and to the big mall (as well as the elegant new one containing the new PH and the GH at the temple that was bombed). I also walked to the park downtown, although on the return there was a place along Wireless Road where crossing the street (at a red light) was scary. The immediate area seems somewhat upscale, including the American Embassy grounds.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by paolo64
It’s just as quick to turn right exiting the lobby, walk up towards The Athenee Residences, left at the convenience store, straight ahead between Mahatun Plaza, BTS is right there . Your way might afford more aircon/rain protection.
Timed it today. 5 minutes 35 seconds vs. 6:05. Like you said, no AC, but the weather here this week is amazingly not so hot. I also like that this walk is much easier in terms of even pavement & wide walkways. The narrow sidewalk on main road is an obstacle course. This way past the Tower & Residences also affords an escalator, but only going up. Upon return, you can't go down the same way and have to sort of go out of the way over closer to the Novotel.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Timed it today. 5 minutes 35 seconds vs. 6:05. Like you said, no AC, but the weather here this week is amazingly not so hot. I also like that this walk is much easier in terms of even pavement & wide walkways. The narrow sidewalk on main road is an obstacle course. This way past the Tower & Residences also affords an escalator, but only going up. Upon return, you can't go down the same way and have to sort of go out of the way over closer to the Novotel.
If you go through Ocura there are some shops and an escalator up to the BTS. That way you can go up or down and is my preferred access.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
If you go through Ocura there are some shops and an escalator up to the BTS. That way you can go up or down and is my preferred access.
Yes. It wasn't clear, but this is what I was comparing to. Reference posts 1005 & 1006.

If we want to add an email address for the lounge:
[email protected]

The business center was closed, but I was able to email the lounge my boarding pass and they printed for me during happy hour(s). Sad to be leaving here tomorrow.

Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I found this gem of a hotel last year almost by accident and fell in love immediately! Will be spending a four more days there in late January. A bit sad that evening cocktail hour changed to start at 6pm; I was really fond of the 5pm glass of champagne before heading out for dinner!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Ok. There is also an escalator outside to go up but not down accessible from the back way.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Lucky to be in Bangkok on those ‘cool’ days: max of 28 and touching lows of 17/18 overnight. Maybe only 10 such days a year but has the locals grabbing for parkas and beanies...
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:19 am

Ok. There is also an escalator outside to go up but not down accessible from the back way.
It’s very easy to go through Park Ventures Eco building on the escalators when going the back way, ie the same building ( with small Apple Store and K Bank) that leads to the Okura...if my memory is correct; haven’t done it for a couple of years.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
It had been a while since I stayed at the hotel, but just had 2 recent stays. I am not sure that the evolution of the clientele is going into the right direction (the Park Hyatt across the street seems to have a higher level of guests), but we are still very well treated.

The hotel will soon have a new manager (guests from the LMBKK will surely recognize her). The task will not be easy to 'rein in' some unruly guests.

A new Executive Chef from the Czech Republic just started at the hotel. He was previously at the Sheraton Hua Hin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.