Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by estnet
I like your style And it looks like you didn't even have a proper suite just one of the weird junior? suites. ROS was one of my favorites years ago, but a disasterous change of GM started a downhill slide that has sadly lasted many years now.
Yes, the weird junior suite as they told me that all their executive suites are taken. But this was a lie as the swimming pool, happy hour, and breakfast this morning the place is deserted with very few farangs! They did provide me with wooden-floor room today and teased me with it upon check out. It was too late as one night is enough with their soiled carpets! We are here for a limited time and don't want to waste this valuable time roughing it up in a camp like setting!

Views at happy hour were majestic though and they were gracious enough to let me cancel around 1 PM and move on without penalty.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 7, 2022 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Thanks for the update. I did not stay at ROS last year and while I considered paying them a visit in coming months, looks like it is a very bad idea.

Their club lounge used to be quite decent pre pandemic. Breakfast was selection wise so-so, but riverside views/terrace was making it ok. But having poor upgrade when hotel is empty and then restricting to one plate of snacks is certainly not worth it. Better to be across the river in Hilton Millenium, where lounge is open (albeit with restricted selections compared to pre-pandemic).

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Underwhelming ... even for the rate paid!

- Lounge is closed - you get a 90 minutes coupon at Giorgio's. And although it's free flowing beverages, the food is limited to one plate of "canapes"!
- Horrible breakfast experience in comparison to other Bangkok properties - and limited in time!!! You chose a time slot at check in and if they have the Thai hoards, you better adhere to your allotted time! It's more like a camp than a hotel/resort!
- Delapitated rooms and flimsy furniture and room doors - way past needing a refurbishment!
- And the list goes on ...

Wonderful views though!

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I used to stay at this property and enjoyed it but it got too worn down and the biggest issue was the breakfast which was absolutely chaotic before covid. There are too many well priced and excellent properties in Marriott family to justify ROS at this stage
Kalboz, EuropeanPete and rt23456p like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:24 am

Just for a slight counterbalance...

The time slot breakfast was only for 2 days over new year.

I actually prefer the 90 minutes free flow drinks at a time of my choosing, but I believe they have had some feedback about the canapes.

The carpets are brand new in my room and some refurbishment is ongoing.

And the lobby lounge suddenly closed 2 days before NYE. For 14 days. You decide...

The elite coupon can be used at any of the open outlets not just Giorgio's, although opening times do vary through the week.

Some of the furniture is definitely tired, I'm not a fan of the standard rooms with shower curtain, and I don't eat breakfast anyway. But I like being away from the downtown traffic, and the pool settings are bigger and nicer than many in Bangkok.

Depends what you like really
pablos likes this.

Last edited by KingCanute; Jan 7, 2022 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:08 am

Definitely like the feel of the lower pool here - more of a tropical feeling then just a cement pad! Great views but everything else is TIRED!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I used to stay at this property and enjoyed it but it got too worn down and the biggest issue was the breakfast which was absolutely chaotic before covid. There are too many well priced and excellent properties in Marriott family to justify ROS at this stage
The restaurant manager asked me twice what my room number was while encountering me at 2 different occassions during breakfast!!! Finally I told him, "Really!!! Do you think anybody gonna sneak into here to eat this ...."!!! I was already ticked off because I couldn't sleep due my throat was burning as the room carpet reeked. I'm allergic and super sensetives to dust, fumes, and smoke - it states so in my Marriott profile. The MMQP and other properties do thorough extra cleaning for us prior to arrival. But apparently not this property. Upon arrival the night before, I asked the housekeeping to do a thorough 2nd vaccuming as I can sense it at check-in, and I got the usual "Ka" ... nothing was done!

Crappy upgrade to a soiled room + staff indifference = Lost revenue!
Fims, EuropeanPete and rt23456p like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
no shuttle boat?

Not staying here for fairly obvious reasons, but on passing by and being at the Taksin pier I didn't see the boat any time - their dock looked deserted as I passed by and I haven't seen the boat on the river. Website says it exists - is it really running?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by estnet
Not staying here for fairly obvious reasons, but on passing by and being at the Taksin pier I didn't see the boat any time - their dock looked deserted as I passed by and I haven't seen the boat on the river. Website says it exists - is it really running?
I’m 80% sure I passed one of their boats on the river a few weeks ago.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I’m 80% sure I passed one of their boats on the river a few weeks ago.
It has been running at the weekends but this week I believe it has gone for maintenance
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I haven't stayed here in a while. (I think is has been 38 years). Under the "old" Sheraton program we got upgraded to a real suite. We would swim in the pool and the pool attendants would bring us Mai Tais in coconuts with orchids on wires surrounding the coconut. At lunch time they would set our table with Shrimp Fried rice and call us out of the pool when our pool side table was ready. But, because we had this retreat, we could go walking in the neighborhoods, in the middle of summer, in "comfort" because we knew we could come back to this lovely hotel. (Old time musings - we were on our way to Burma, for a one-day visit, on our own, which was a great travel story.)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by sbrower
I haven't stayed here in a while. (I think is has been 38 years). Under the "old" Sheraton program we got upgraded to a real suite. We would swim in the pool and the pool attendants would bring us Mai Tais in coconuts with orchids on wires surrounding the coconut. At lunch time they would set our table with Shrimp Fried rice and call us out of the pool when our pool side table was ready. But, because we had this retreat, we could go walking in the neighborhoods, in the middle of summer, in "comfort" because we knew we could come back to this lovely hotel. (Old time musings - we were on our way to Burma, for a one-day visit, on our own, which was a great travel story.)
That must have been shortly after it opened:

Officially inaugurated by Her Majesty, Queen Sirikit of Thailand, on July 22, 1983 as “The Royal Orchid Hotel,”.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by UASPG
That must have been shortly after it opened:

Officially inaugurated by Her Majesty, Queen Sirikit of Thailand, on July 22, 1983 as “The Royal Orchid Hotel,”.
I think it was the summer of 1985. We visited a place that other tourists don't seem to go - the Zoo (we have been to zoos around the world). At that time it was still allowed to feed the zoo animals - I have a great picture of me holding a bunch (50?) of small bananas which I was tossing, a few at a time, into the mouth of a hippo. The Sheraton property, at that time, to my memory (which is often wrong), was considered a competitor to the Oriental, which, if defective memory serves me, was considered a top hotel in 1985.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:15 pm

I think it was the summer of 1985. We visited a place that other tourists don't seem to go - the Zoo (we have been to zoos around the world). At that time it was still allowed to feed the zoo animals - I have a great picture of me holding a bunch (50?) of small bananas which I was tossing, a few at a time, into the mouth of a hippo. The Sheraton property, at that time, to my memory (which is often wrong), was considered a competitor to the Oriental, which, if defective memory serves me, was considered a top hotel in 1985.
It would be interesting to see your photos.
AFAIK, Dusit Zoo was allowing visitors to feed the animals as late as 2013!

estnet likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
My how the mighty have fallen (the hotel - not you)
NoY and Kalboz like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by KingCanute
It has been running at the weekends but this week I believe it has gone for maintenance
The boat is back now. Looks like it's been out of the water for a shiny new paint job all over. Luxury restored...

Some great travel memories in the posts above
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.