Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I used Grab from the Athenee to DMK a couple weeks ago. Very new and clean SUV showed up within 4 minutes. Pleasant, clean-cut driver. I was lucky.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:37 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thank you geminidreams.

Has anyone taken the train from DMK? I always have bad experience trying to take any sort of taxi from a Thai airport including Uber and Grab, either long wait or scam, I'm wondering if the train is worth considering.
Most trains are 20฿ from DMK-Hua Lumpong. There are a couple 5฿ trains. The journey takes about an hour. (Remember that trains run up to an hour late sometimes)
from Don Muang departures level, take the Amari Hotel elevator up one level to the sky walk, follow the signs, there are 2 different ramps to the tracks (depending if you’re taking a train in or out of town).

The Bangkok train station, Hua Lumpong, is very close to the ROS.
BUT, there is a trick to avoid lots of traffic and the long, one way streets from the station to ROS.
Take the taxi to River City, then walk 70 meters to the hotel next door.

From hotel to station, it’s straightforward, 39-45฿
estnet and kevino like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Is there a ramp now (up and down?) to the train station? Many years ago there were only stairs - so with luggage it was a bit difficult.

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Most trains are 20฿ from DMK-Hua Lumpong. There are a couple 5฿ trains. The journey takes about an hour. (Remember that trains run up to an hour late sometimes)
from Don Muang departures level, take the Amari Hotel elevator up one level to the sky walk, follow the signs, there are 2 different ramps to the tracks (depending if you’re taking a train in or out of town).

The Bangkok train station, Hua Lumpong, is very close to the ROS.
BUT, there is a trick to avoid lots of traffic and the long, one way streets from the station to ROS.
Take the taxi to River City, then walk 70 meters to the hotel next door.

From hotel to station, it’s straightforward, 39-45฿
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
For Marriott's 2020 hotel category adjustments, the ROS is going up to category 4 meaning at least 5K Bonvoy more points per room per night (or around a value of $35-$75).

https://points-redemption.marriott.c...arriott-bonvoy

Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now at this place after a few weeks at the Athenee, it’s quite a difference.

I don’t ever seem to get upgraded so I am not surprised that I got a normal “premier” room. The air con makes weird noises which makes it hard to sleep but it keeps the room cool. Pools are both nice and the upper pool is decent for lap swimming if you get there early enough. The gym is too cramped and pales in comparison to any of the nicer Bonvoy ones on the Sukhumvit but it does have the minimal equipment. Breakfast and lounge food offerings aren’t anywhere near the Athenee or even the Marquis but of course the river views can’t be beat.

All in all this is about what I expected, a hotel experience that takes me back in time to 20 years ago when I first started traveling to Asia. The elevators are really the only true complaint, sometimes we have to wait 5 mins for one to show up and then doors won’t close properly a few times.

The lounge has a very funky feel that is kind of quirky and eccentric, which I kinda like. It’s basically what I imagine being on a cruise ship is like. Lots of people seem to be regulars since the hotel opened in 1983. Drinks are good and service is friendly.

Of course I prefer the Athenee but it’s a cheap priced riverside hotel which is what I was looking for this time. All in all I’m happy for the price but I won’t go out of my way to stay here again. I’ll stay at Athenee or the Sukhumvit Marriotts and if I want to stay riverside I’ll probably splurge for Shangri La next time.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:28 pm

TravelinmanS

Lots of valid points there. But I disagree very strongly with the suggestion that lounge food is better at PA compared to ROS. In my observation, it’s the reverse: ROS is infinitely better in respect of variety of dishes and , in some respects, quality. That is unless PA has undergone a huge transformation in the 12 months since my last stay ( at which time, and for years preceding it, the evening lounge offerings were just *ok*). Certainly I agree that the ambience is nicer at the PA, but food? No way...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:46 pm
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Just completed a four night stay. We received an upgrade to an executive suite and to. My surprise it had a larger bathroom as when I stayed in an executive suite a few years ago recall the bathroom was minute with the toilet right next to bathtub so was pleasantly surprised as the bathroom previously put me off staying there. Shame about the ghastly iconsiam that was recently built as it ruins the views with its garish fountains that would not be out of place in Dubai.club lounge was great for a couple of drinks but not for a meal. We mostly ate at the Shangri-La and mandarin oriental. Would stay again but it depends on where you need to be in Bangkok. Normally stay at Sheraton grande Sukhumvit as easy for getting around on BT’s, better restaurants but you can’t beat the river views atvROS.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
if I want to stay riverside I’ll probably splurge for Shangri La next time.
Used to be a regular there, but the service levels went way down when they started taking Chinese tour groups. Maybe now it's better with the tour groups gone?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:19 am

Thumbs down

Wow! Here right now and a mistake it was! My heart was set on being beside the river with the views.... my gut was telling me otherwise - went with my heart. Ugh! I’ll provide a better review upon our return but this place is OLD!! We just got back from the Courtyard Phnom Penh and miss it! We were upgraded to a Junior Suite and I feel like I went back in time 30 years! No exaggeration whatsoever. There were SO MANY choices but I wanted the river...... I honestly don’t even comprehend others saying they would choose this than so many other options in BKK. The few dollars extra would be worth it.
My Grandpa & Grandma might like this place..... just sayin’! Don’t mind the Club Lounge - Service was good with decent selections thank goodness. This place is large and hasn’t been touched forever - gonna cost a fortune cause it needs a TOTAL overhaul!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes I think it's kind of fun to stay at these time-warp hotels.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:16 am

Oh this ain’t fun! Lol. Old wood accents; old furniture, carpet etc.; Wand shower whereas my spit has more pressure; sink, literally with no place to put anything so it all goes in the bathtub; old master light switch system; big old monster toilet flush built into the wall;
My opinion on the above is obvious but just something not clicking overall here? Oh well, first world problems. I got what I wanted I guess - a river view!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Oh this ain’t fun! Lol. Old wood accents; old furniture, carpet etc.; Wand shower whereas my spit has more pressure; sink, literally with no place to put anything so it all goes in the bathtub; old master light switch system; big old monster toilet flush built into the wall;
My opinion on the above is obvious but just something not clicking overall here? Oh well, first world problems. I got what I wanted I guess - a river view!
I always enjoyed my stays here but stopped a decade ago when I think it was 3000 SPG points a night or so as the place was dated and falling apart then. I'm not sure they've done renovations since then?

with cheap alternatives all over BKK, I'm not sure why anyone would stay here. Have a coffee at the MO for the river view
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:57 am

I’ve not had anything like the rooms described above...at least not since the 80s and 90s when it was new and more fashionable. I thought those old wood rooms had gone ( around the same time they dropped Floris soap and bath products.) Evidently not...
In any case, the last major renovation was some years ago, but those renovated rooms have held up well...maybe a bit old-fashioned, but perfectly ok.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I always enjoyed my stays here but stopped a decade ago when I think it was 3000 SPG points a night or so as the place was dated and falling apart then. I'm not sure they've done renovations since then?

with cheap alternatives all over BKK, I'm not sure why anyone would stay here. Have a coffee at the MO for the river view
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Just spent last night here. Overall a so-so stay.

got upgraded to a club room on top floor (no suite available). It looked the same as last time i got this room type (4 or 5 years ago) except the bigger tv screen.

The food offering in club lounge (both morning and evening) have gone downhill significantly.

It used to be much better in the past. Now it seems like they continuously do the massive cost cutting.

Service was still very good all around. Staffs were nice and helpful.

personally I will not return anymore as there are so many better options in BKK available to choose from.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
It would be interesting to find out about the strategy of Property Perfect and Grande Asset for this newly (relatively speaking) acquired property.

If they are trying to save on the food of the lounge, they might not be ready to refinance the full renovation of the hotel. From what I understand, hotel owners did not rush the buy the ROSH because the hotel is unionized.
Only the closure of the hotel, with a long renovation, could allow a renewal of the staff. I think that this is what happened with the Marriott Marquis Queen's Park.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...esort-projects

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.