Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhilFPLAXGM
if you contact me though PM or email I'm happy to take care of any reasonable request. I don't want to offer it wholesale to people booking reward stays but I'm happy to make exceptions for my new FT buddies.
^

Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:28 am
Suspended

Wow, what a mixed stay report.

Pros:
* Phil blocked a junior suite for me and was very helpful/communicative
* Phil left a plate of cookies and grapes in my room (2 yummy chocolate chip cookies and one oatmeal)
* The room was nice. Large living room with a railroad sitting area and a second flatscreen TV. It might be difficult for two people in the room to be watching different TV programs since they are so close, but it gives one person the option of watching TV from bed or on a couch. The bathroom was small but functional. Unfortunately, there was a connecting door (more on that later).

Cons:
* Front desk - The front desk just isn't on the ball. In my original post, I used the term "fairly incompetent." That might be harsh...but, regardless of the characterization, it wasn't a great experience.

1) Check-in: I was first on deck in the SPG Platinum/Gold line while the hotel associate was helping a woman settle her bill with cash. Well, this transaction took forever. In the meantime, the regular line was moving and moving and moving. At no point did the woman working the regular line call me over even though: 1) she could clearly see me waiting (the lines are next to each other inches apart) and 2) people that got in line well after me were through the line and on their merry way while I was waiting. Moreover, the SPG elite associate -- knowing he was taking some time -- never suggested I should move to the other line or, better yet, ask his counterpart to help me. Both associates were just oblivious.

When no one was left in the regular line, the woman still didn't look my way until I finally just walked over to her. She welcomed me and "saw that I was using points for my stay" (note: I wasn't using points but didn't want to say anything that might confuse her). She then offered me the Platinum breakfast. I informed her that two people were in the room and asked if the breakfast covered two. She said it did. She gave me my key packet and I left. Of course, halfway to the door I noticed that she only gave me one key. So, I had to go back to the desk and ask for a second key. I reminded her that I told her two were in the room and she said: "Oh, right." (Don't most front desk associates ask "how many keys?" When she didn't ask, I assume she gleaned two-keys-required from my breakfast question.) Definitely not the sharpest knife...

2) While the junior suite was nice, rooms with connecting doors are always a cr*pshoot. A quiet neighbor, all is well. A loud neighbor ruins the experience. I had two loud guys in the room next to me and my bed pillow was about 3'ish feet from the connecting door. I could have called down and had security visit, but I don't think that would have helped much. Even if they quieted down initially, when they returned at 2 AM they definitely would have woken me up. So, I decided to switch rooms.

Luckily there was no one on the SPG line. When I explained the problem (and told him I wanted a room with no connecting door), no apology was offered and the agent spent about two seconds issuing me another room. He moved me from a junior suite with one king bed to a regular room with two beds. I am fine with losing the upgrade (it was late), but why would he send me to another room without warning me about the bed type change? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't that be something you'd want to point out? He just handed me the new key packet. Very odd.

So, marched down to the front desk. The same agent said: "Sorry, nothing else available." I then asked him to call the Westin and the Sheraton to see if they had availability. At that point, he got on his computer and after a few minutes, he found a great room on the top floor with no connecting room and a king bed. Hmm....questions: 1) did that room magically become available/cleaned in the two seconds from when he said "Sorry, nothing else available" to when he re-looked?, 2) Why didn't he give me that room five minutes earlier the first time I visited the front desk to change rooms? Again, at 10:30-11 PM did that room suddenly become cleaned and available (or was he just lazy and didn't feel like looking)?

Remember: this agent was working the SPG Elite line!! Pitiful customer service.

After that mess, the stay was uneventful. The room was nice and I found the wifi speed to be great even though I was at the end of the hallway. The bed was comfortable. I wasn't thrilled with the long black hair left in the toilet but whatever.

So, clearly a mixed stay. I doubt I would come back...but, never say never. Stay would have been much better with a different front desk experience.

Edited to add: Just a heads up....the free breakfast coupon only says "breakfast". Nowhere on the voucher does it say it is only good for the buffet...but, the waiter said it only applied to the buffet. Again, not a complaint, just a heads up.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Jan 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend

Pros:
* Phil blocked a junior suite for me and was very helpful/communicative
* Phil left a plate of cookies and grapes in my room (2 yummy chocolate chip cookies and one oatmeal)
* The room was nice. Large living room with a railroad sitting area and a second flatscreen TV. It might be difficult for two people in the room to be watching different TV programs since they are so close, but it gives one person the option of watching TV from bed or on a couch. The bathroom was small but functional. Unfortunately, there was a connecting door (more on that later).

Cons:
* Front desk - The front desk just isn't on the ball. In my original post, I used the term "fairly incompetent." That might be harsh...but, regardless of the characterization, it wasn't a great experience.

1) Check-in: I was first on deck in the SPG Platinum/Gold line while the hotel associate was helping a woman settle her bill with cash. Well, this transaction took forever. In the meantime, the regular line was moving and moving and moving. At no point did the woman working the regular line call me over even though: 1) she could clearly see me waiting (the lines are next to each other inches apart) and 2) people that got in line well after me were through the line and on their merry way while I was waiting. Moreover, the SPG elite associate -- knowing he was taking some time -- never suggested I should move to the other line or, better yet, ask his counterpart to help me. Both associates were just oblivious.

When no one was left in the regular line, the woman still didn't look my way until I finally just walked over to her. She welcomed me and "saw that I was using points for my stay" (note: I wasn't using points). She then offered me the Platinum breakfast. I informed her that two people were in the room and asked if the breakfast covered two. She said it did. She gave me my key packet and I left. Of course, halfway to the door I noticed that she only gave me one key. So, I had to go back to the desk and ask for a second key. I reminder her that I told her two were in the room and she said: "Oh, right." (Don't most front desk associates ask "how many keys?" When she didn't ask, I assume she gleaned "two" from my breakfast question.) Not the sharpest knife...

2) While the junior suite was nice, rooms with connecting doors are clearly a cr*pshoot. A quiet neighbor, all is well. A loud neighbor ruins the experience. I had two loud guys in the room next to me and my bed pillow was about 3'ish feet from the connecting door. I could have called down and had security visit, but I don't that would have helped much. Even if they quieted down initially, when they returned at 2 AM they definitely would have woken me up. So, I decided to switch rooms.

Luckily there was no one on the SPG line. When I explained the problem (and told him I wanted a room with no connecting door), no apology was offered and the agent spent about two seconds issuing me another room. He moved me from a junior suite with one king bed to a regular room with two beds. I am fine with losing the upgrade (it was late), but why would he send me to another room without warning me about the bed type change? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't that be something you'd want to point out? He just handed me the new key packet.

So, marched down to the front desk. The same agent said: "Sorry, nothing else available." I then asked him to call the Westin and the Sheraton to see if they had availability. At that point, he got on his computer and after a few minutes, he found a great room on the top floor with no connecting room and a king bed. Hmm....questions: 1) did that room magically become available/cleaned in the two seconds from when he said "Sorry, nothing else available" to when he re-looked?, 2) Why didn't he give me that room five minutes earlier the first time I visited the front desk to change rooms? Again, at 10:30-11 PM did that room suddenly become cleaned and available (or was he just lazy)?

Remember: this agent was working the SPG Elite line!! Pitiful customer service.

After that mess, the stay was uneventful. The room was nice and I found the wifi speed to be great even though I was at the end of the hallway. The bed was comfortable. I wasn't thrilled with the long black hair left in the toilet but whatever.

So, clearly a mixed stay. I doubt I would come back...but, never say never. Stay would have been much better with a different front desk experience.

Edited to add: Just a heads up....the free breakfast coupon only says "breakfast". Nowhere on the voucher does it say it is only good for the buffet...but, the waiter said it only applied to the buffet. Again, heads up.
thanks for the update

I will say that (at any hotel) I use the regular line if there is no or little difference to the elite line as this has to be one of the biggest jokes in the hotel industry (the elite line) as IMHO, they are seldom recognized. I"m not sure why they even put them up. This by no means is a 4Pts LAX issue at least from my perspective.

If its a long regular line, then I will take my chances in the elite line and at least feel like I have legitimate complaint it they ignore it.

I swear this hotel seems to always have the "problem" guests checking in (or out) or maybe they all just wait till I get in line to become a problem LOL.

What time did the restaurant open for b/f? did you happen to catch that, I have a very early flight out.

again, thanks for the update.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What time did the restaurant open for b/f? did you happen to catch that, I have a very early flight out.

again, thanks for the update.
When I checked out today both agents were working the regular line and the elite line was unstaffed.

I believe breakfast was 6 - 11 AM though I am sure Phil can verify.

(Two more tidbits - parking is $19/night. And, my room lacked a DND sign.)

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Jan 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thanks for the detailed report. Sorry to hear you may not return. Curious as to what your rate was and regards to being asked to switch to the Westin or Sheraton?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:20 am

When I checked out today both agents were working the regular line and the elite line was unstaffed.

I believe breakfast was 6 - 11 AM though I am sure Phil can verify.

(Two more tidbits - parking is $19/night. And, my room lacked a DND sign.)
parking has gone up there since I last used it. I must say I haven't used parking there in years a I park over by the Renaissance on the street gratis

which line did you use today?

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Jan 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Thanks for the detailed report. Sorry to hear you may not return. Curious as to what your rate was and regards to being asked to switch to the Westin or Sheraton?
There was a Starpicks rate at $69, I believe, but I paid a bit more.

Honestly, the stay was sour because of the front desk staff. Aside from that, my (final) room was fine. Free bottled water, free wifi, comfortable bed. That is what I expect from a Four Points and that is what I ended up getting. The parking charge almost made me choke, but whatever.

Regarding asking to move, it was half bluff to see if the agent REALLY didn't have anything better or was just being lazy. As it turns out, my intuition was correct. The elite line agent was just being lazy.*

*-I am willing to be proven wrong. Should I found out that the front desk elite line agent wasn't being lazy and there are other reasons that he did not give me the final room first, I will happily report that on Flyertalk. (Regardless, I still don't understand why the agent didn't at least tell me he was changing my bedding type.)

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Jan 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:06 pm
Suspended

The parking charge almost made me choke, but whatever.
too bad you didnt read the thread as in numerous places people have posted about the Free street parking within a 5 min walk to the hotel. If a person has a few bags or heavy ones they can pull up check-in drop their bags and then go find the street parking

I agree with the FD employees sometimes they are great other times you want to shot 'em. But Ive ran into that with other Hotels and Chains as well as Airlines.

hopefully Phil will see that this gets corrected with his FD staff
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by craz
too bad you didnt read the thread as in numerous places people have posted about the Free street parking within a 5 min walk to the hotel. If a person has a few bags or heavy ones they can pull up check-in drop their bags and then go find the street parking

I agree with the FD employees sometimes they are great other times you want to shot 'em. But Ive ran into that with other Hotels and Chains as well as Airlines.

hopefully Phil will see that this gets corrected with his FD staff
some people (not referring to the poster in question here though) don't like to do the street parking thing so that may be it

as for the FDCs, its a crap shoot wherever you go, although at this 4Pt, i get a little more nervous than other places. When I"m on the shuttle, I will be the first to bolt out of the bus and sprint to the queue just b/c I know its going to be a long wait anyway, but I don't want to add to it by being behind all the people on the bus as well LOL
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:41 pm
Suspended

some people (not referring to the poster in question here though) don't like to do the street parking thing so that may be it
I don't have issues with street parking. I just dropped the ball. I should have done a bit more research.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Street Parking

just a heads up to anyone who decides to do this and hasnt yet by the 4P. make sure you read the signs before walking away, to make sure that you can park when you want to and until you want to. Certain days and times its a No Parking zone, I believe for street cleaning.

Its not NYC so there arent a million different signs that you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out if you will be OK or not, and if you are unlucky and park it just drive around down a side street and you will find a place you can.

Ive never ended up having to pay to park, nor ever got towed or tkted yet. If you dont seea sign dont walk away just check further down the way and you will find it.

Just dont anyone coming back to post Gee thanks I parked on the street and got a tkt or towed
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by craz
just a heads up to anyone who decides to do this and hasnt yet by the 4P. make sure you read the signs before walking away, to make sure that you can park when you want to and until you want to. Certain days and times its a No Parking zone, I believe for street cleaning.

Its not NYC so there arent a million different signs that you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out if you will be OK or not, and if you are unlucky and park it just drive around down a side street and you will find a place you can.

Ive never ended up having to pay to park, nor ever got towed or tkted yet. If you dont seea sign dont walk away just check further down the way and you will find it.

Just dont anyone coming back to post Gee thanks I parked on the street and got a tkt or towed
Each of the streets below nearby has street sweeping and they are usually a four hour block during the middle of the day during the week. Usually its not a problem as you just move to the other side of the street, mid day parking is easy to find

However, the majority of us are looking at night and this is where it gets a little more complicated

98th street - South Side, no parking after like midnight or 1AM till 6AM
98th street - north side, not sure, it used to be free a couple years ago, then it went the same as the south side, and on my last trip, I couldn't tell if it changed. It appeared to allow it again although I can't tell - anyone know?

96th Street - over night allowed east of Airport Blvd
Airport Blvd - East side north of Renaissance allows overnight
Belford Ave - one block east of Airport - allows overnight parking
W 96th place - the little street by BK across from the Renaissance allows O/N
W 93rd Street - Airport to Belford allows overnight
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:14 am
Suspended

Each of the streets below nearby has street sweeping and they are usually a four hour block during the middle of the day during the week. Usually its not a problem as you just move to the other side of the street, mid day parking is easy to find

However, the majority of us are looking at night and this is where it gets a little more complicated

98th street - north side, not sure, it used to be free a couple years ago, then it went the same as the south side, and on my last trip, I couldn't tell if it changed. It appeared to allow it again although I can't tell - anyone know?

GREAT post.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:07 am

I stay at the LAX area hotels regularly. Mostly the Sheraton Gateway LAX, Renaissance, & 4Pts.

In the last ten years, I think a conservative guess would be that I've saved in excess of $2000 easily from not paying hotel parking.

I am basing this on the conservative $12 per night, maybe 20 nights per year (each for the last 10 years) where I have a car and park on one of the above streets. I wouldn't be surprised if its double that either.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

yea I hated it when they changed 98th St to N/O, but some times I was doing a Run while out in LA.The 1st time I parked and didnt check the signs then by chance saw 1 and looked and realized if I ran into Irrops of any kind Id get back too late so I parked elsewhere. Other times someone would be picking me up and using their car so again I had to make sure I could leave it w/o any problems

been lucky by the BK only 2 times in close to 100 parkings, usually I park across from Avis or Hertz driveways

Nice job and I knew it wouldnt affect most parkers but just wanted to alert those who didnt know whats what

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.