Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Luxor, Egypt [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Luxor, Egypt [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 4:48 pm

OH...one more question: what have people paid for a taxi from the train station to the hotel?
We were quoted 85 EGP by the cab driver for a ride from the airport to the Sheraton. Since there was only one cab there and it was late at night, I doubt that's the best possible price. I believe the train station is closer than the airport, so I'd wager it would be less.

Michael
Old May 10, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I now see on the hotel web site that it says a taxi from the station should be about U$10 which would be about 60 EGP. They want U$20 for the hotel "limousine" which I might accept assuming they come to the platform with a sign and carry the bags.

Originally Posted by bizaro86
We were quoted 85 EGP by the cab driver for a ride from the airport to the Sheraton. Since there was only one cab there and it was late at night, I doubt that's the best possible price. I believe the train station is closer than the airport, so I'd wager it would be less.

Michael
Old May 10, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
The hotel treated me well, was on a free stay through SPG points, received a Nile side room. Staff were friendly.

Reading a few of the past posts the only comment I would make is not to overpay for cabs. Keep in mind gas is EGP 1.75 for a litre, this is just under US$0.32, so think about the 5-10 min ride from the train station and how much it costs the cabbie in gas.

I paid EGP 50 for the airport, 15 for the train station and 15 for the Karnak Temple and 10 back from the Luxor Temple / Ferry area. Took some negotiation and walking away from some but was able to get decent rates without much effort. The sailboats just outside the hotel's gate should be EGP 40 for the boat (total, not per person) for an hour.

Btw - if you take the Ferry that costs EGP 1 to the West Bank side you can get a taxi for EGP 60 for the morning to see the VOK, VOQ, and the Temple for Hatshepsut.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:20 am

Thanks PKEUNG! That is indeed very helpful information which I shall keep handy for my trip!

Originally Posted by pkeung
The hotel treated me well, was on a free stay through SPG points, received a Nile side room. Staff were friendly.

Reading a few of the past posts the only comment I would make is not to overpay for cabs. Keep in mind gas is EGP 1.75 for a litre, this is just under US$0.32, so think about the 5-10 min ride from the train station and how much it costs the cabbie in gas.

I paid EGP 50 for the airport, 15 for the train station and 15 for the Karnak Temple and 10 back from the Luxor Temple / Ferry area. Took some negotiation and walking away from some but was able to get decent rates without much effort. The sailboats just outside the hotel's gate should be EGP 40 for the boat (total, not per person) for an hour.

Btw - if you take the Ferry that costs EGP 1 to the West Bank side you can get a taxi for EGP 60 for the morning to see the VOK, VOQ, and the Temple for Hatshepsut.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Club lounge

Just came off the phone, talking to someone at the hotel.

They have a club lounge - but only for platinum members. It offers breakfast, snacks and happy hour.

A great benefit as the hotel can be had for as low as 40 USD per night during low season...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:36 pm

Question about Luxor Rooms?

For those of you who have stayed at the Sheraton Luxor, are the rooms in the main building preferable to those in the Bungalows? I am looking to redeem points and I have both options.

The main bldg options are 1 Queen or 2 Single beds v/s 1 double + 1 single in the Bungalow.

Opinions?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by acnev
For those of you who have stayed at the Sheraton Luxor, are the rooms in the main building preferable to those in the Bungalows? I am looking to redeem points and I have both options.

The main bldg options are 1 Queen or 2 Single beds v/s 1 double + 1 single in the Bungalow.

Opinions?
I have recently booked a Bungalow Room. I am hoping to get the same information you are looking for, so hopefully someone will answer this. I was planning to ask to see a room in the main building if I arrive and don't like the bungalow room.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any news re: bungalows?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We spent 3 nights at the Sheraton Luxor earlier this month. It was a decent stay with some nice Platinum perks, but a series of service blunders left us scratching our heads several times. At check-in, there was no mention of status recognition, but we were upgraded to our room on the first floor (one above ground), which was actually a large corner suite with a dining area, living room, half bath, and separate bedroom and full bath. There was also a HUGE wrap around balcony with Nile view. The balconies on this level have dividers, but a person could walk from balcony to balcony if they wanted to (though we never saw this). The room seemed to be recently updated and had clean, modern decor, though there were some workmanship/maintenance issues. Neither balcony door locked properly and the shower door didn't close all the way. The A/C also seemed to struggle to keep up with 110 degree heat.

When we checked in, there was no mention of internet, breakfast, or club lounge. When I went back to ask about internet, they issued me a card with a code that was only good for 24 hours. I had a to fill out a form and sign for it. It was a bit annoying as I had to go back every 24 hours to get a new one and re-explain my Platinum status and fill out the form again. Not a very smooth process.

Our first morning, I stopped by the front desk to ask about breakfast for Platinums. They told us to go to the restaurant so we did, but while we were eating we were visited by another staffer who asked why we didn't go to the club lounge.

Mrs. G later went to the front desk and asked about the club lounge. After several attempts at getting an answer, she was told it was on the first level. We searched for it without success. When we finally found the lounge on the fourth floor, it turned out to be pretty nice. They had a continental breakfast spread in the morning and snacks/drinks in the evening. At breakfast, the club staffer even went down to the restaurant to get omelets for us. The lounge is only open to Plat guests, which makes for a pretty private experience.

One morning, I need to break a large bill into smaller bills. I went to the front desk and was told that the bank would open in half an hour and to come back then. Mrs. G went back in about 45 minutes and was given the same line. When I returned another 30 minutes later, the bank was still closed but the FD agent just made change out of his pocket for me.

Nearly all the staff that we encountered had a nametag that read "Trainee." They were all friendly, but no one seemed to know anything about the hotel, Platinum benefits, or anything else we asked about. None of the hiccups we experienced were that bad, but the cumulative effect was a bit annoying. We just kept reminding ourselves that it was $54 a night and the perks were nice once we figured out what they were.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:53 am

Is there free Internet at the Sheraton Link in the lobby?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Is there free Internet at the Sheraton Link in the lobby?
Yes. There are 3 or 4 machines in the lobby that have a time limit on them for guest usage.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Stay in October 2010

- Pool overlooking Nile was pretty cool
- Lounge for Platinums very nice
- Platinum upgrade to corner suite with wraparound balcony ... also very cool
- Location: somewhat on the "edge" of the tourist section, so not immediately next to sights but still quite easy to get around and as other posters have mentioned, cab rides around town are quite cheap

Either on points or cash, would say it's a pretty good value.

Last edited by DarkHelmetII; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:21 am

This hotel was the highlight of our trip to Egypt. Simply perfect! Highly recommended.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by acnev
Yes. There are 3 or 4 machines in the lobby that have a time limit on them for guest usage.
Thanks - what was the time limit per day? It's typically 30 minutes once a day which is enough for our needs. Just want to make sure that it's not like 15 minutes or something.

I wish the new Gold amenity (free Internet) had already kicked in.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Is the Club Lounge now gone? I don't see it mentioned on the web site anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.