Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Minneapolis-area (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Minneapolis-area (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
No points yet, but I fully expect to receive them. I have not put in a missing point request with the hotel, but I intend to speak about it with them in person this week when I am next at the hotel.

There are some really great staff at this hotel. My upgrade experience has been annoyingly spotty, but then I often arrive rather late in the evening. In 40 odd stays I have never received a suite, and only get a club floor room 50% of the time. I don't think the hotel tries enough in that area (considering I am a frequent stay Plat), and if it wasn't for the fantastic staff and conveniant location for my needs I would have sworn of this property long ago.

SG
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Any recent stays at this property? I'm considering a stay here next month.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I stayed at the property in June 2007 because my normal Starwood haunts were sold out and the booking was done on short notice (same day). Overall, I was disappointed. I bought a club level room and found it to be small, fairly spartan and oddly designed. Some might think of it as a mini-W, but I wouldn't make any such comparison. It didn't feel hip at all, just oddly designed. I found myself searching for basic features.

Service was pretty bad as other posters have noted and there was no discernable platinum recognition. I WOULD go back, but only in a pinch. Given the price point of this property, I would either stay at the Westin or the Sheraton Bloomington in the future assuming availability existed.

SG
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I stayed at the property in June 2007 because my normal Starwood haunts were sold out and the booking was done on short notice (same day). Overall, I was disappointed. I bought a club level room and found it to be small, fairly spartan and oddly designed. Some might think of it as a mini-W, but I wouldn't make any such comparison. It didn't feel hip at all, just oddly designed. I found myself searching for basic features.

Service was pretty bad as other posters have noted and there was no discernable platinum recognition. I WOULD go back, but only in a pinch. Given the price point of this property, I would either stay at the Westin or the Sheraton Bloomington in the future assuming availability existed.
you must have not visited the gym/pool. i think they have a great facility (given that it is a hotel). i like this property for its nice new beds, plasma TVs, 100+ TV channels, etc.

service is pretty hit or miss as is platinum recognition. i think the front desk personnel is not trained well. i thought the staff at the bar/restaurant were nice.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
you must have not visited the gym/pool. i think they have a great facility (given that it is a hotel). i like this property for its nice new beds, plasma TVs, 100+ TV channels, etc.

service is pretty hit or miss as is platinum recognition. i think the front desk personnel is not trained well. i thought the staff at the bar/restaurant were nice.
You are correct... I did not use the pool or fitness facilities. I arrived after midnight and departed by 7:30 a.m. and paid a rate of $269. Granted, I was thankful for the room given the high occupancy rate.

Given my limited time at this property, my exeperinece may have certainly been skewed.

SG
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I'm just completing a quick one-night stay here. It's a fine hotel, I'd say. I received plat recognition at check in, but no upgrade. The staff was very nice. The room is in great shape. I especially like the flat screen TV and funky bathroom with the french doors. One of the nicer Sheraton bathrooms I've ever seen. The room is small, but I have a nice view of downtown.

As stated earlier, downtown is a ways away. I arrived here from the airport via the light-rail and a quick bus transfer (the #21 bus going westbound, from the Lake Street light rail station), figuring that was cheaper than a cab. Actually, the public transit connection worked very well, though I realize that isn't for everyone. I'd stay here again, though the Westin Minneapolis is my preferred MSP choice.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I stayed here 4x last February and March for a total of 7 nights, and got some vague upgrades--to "Deluxe Club", which from what I could tell is a VERY slightly larger room, and possibly upgraded bathroom amenities.
Pros:
1) AMAZING variety of authentic food choices next door at the International Marketplace--Vietnamese, Mexican, Middle Eastern, American, almost anything you could think of. Good lunch specials, and very reasonable at dinner.
2) Great, reasonably-priced liquor store about 1/2 block away.
3) Bus transit station in front of the hotel. A 5-10 minute bus ride to the light rail, then a 10-12 minute ride to the airport.
4) Really nice fitness facility.
5) Several excellent Mexican and other Latino restaurants within a 5-minute walk.
6) My breakfast, ordered in the morning, came almost immediately. And it was good: French Toast with walnut honey butter. Yum!

Cons:
1) Sketchy staff training--or lots of turnover--create a staff where few seem to know what's going on.
2) Neighborhood (and I live here in South Mpls!) isn't perfect, though to be honest unless you're trying to buy drugs it shouldn't affect you at all. (really!)

My question: Has anyone received a Plat Upgrade to the Suite here? It seems like nobody's ever been upgraded much here......anyway, this Suite is listed in the reservations choices online:
1 King/
Deluxe Suite Non-Smoking, Sweet Sleeper Bed, Den With Wet Bar, Gas Fireplace, 32 Inch Flat Screen LCD TV

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:51 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by raisin
Actually, the public transit connection worked very well, though I realize that isn't for everyone.
Speaking of "not for everyone," I love the hotel's location next to the Midtown Greenway. While I may be among the few guests ever to bicycle up to the registration desk (judging from the manager's momentary confusion), I'm sure that joggers also appreciate the easy two-mile run over to Uptown.

Not that the downtown Westin, or future aloft, are much further from recreation; the aloft will directly front the new riverfront park just east of the Guthrie. Foundation work on that block seems to have started.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 2:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by raisin
I'm just completing a quick one-night stay here. It's a fine hotel, I'd say. I received plat recognition at check in, but no upgrade. The staff was very nice. The room is in great shape. I especially like the flat screen TV and funky bathroom with the french doors. One of the nicer Sheraton bathrooms I've ever seen. The room is small, but I have a nice view of downtown.

As stated earlier, downtown is a ways away. I arrived here from the airport via the light-rail and a quick bus transfer (the #21 bus going westbound, from the Lake Street light rail station), figuring that was cheaper than a cab. Actually, the public transit connection worked very well, though I realize that isn't for everyone. I'd stay here again, though the Westin Minneapolis is my preferred MSP choice.
I have to agree with everything you say. As a Gold, I asked for and cheerfully was given an upgrade to a Club Floor room (even though it is not an entitlement for Golds). Although the Club is closed on weekends, you get a coupon for a free hot breakfast (buffet was $12.95 on the menu) and a free hot appetizer (between 5-8 PM) in the restaurant. I had a breaded shrimp appetizer (menu price was $9.95). Not bad considering I paid just $85 a night for a 3-night stay.

The hotel also has its own shuttle van that will take you anywhere for free within a 5-mile radius (including downtown and the light-rail station) between 5 AM and 10:30 PM. If you want to get to the hotel late at night, the Metro Transit Center is located adjacent to the hotel and the Metro bus runs 24 hours a day.

In my club-level room, Wi-Fi Internet and local calls are FREE. That's not your typical Sheraton in my experience. Interestingly, the hotel has BOTH Coke and Pepsi vending machines and charges just $1.00 a can - not your typical hotel rip-off pricing. It also has a small "pantry" next to the front desk.

The property is immaculately clean and well kept up. The hotel has the full line of Shine by Bliss products. All staff members were polite, although a few seemed a bit inexperienced. All in all, a very pleasant experience. The ONLY downside is the neighborhood. But the hotel makes it easy for you to get around even if you don't have a car.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
It is a bit of an adventurous location... I actually would call it quite centrally located to the cities, but not downtown. Transitional area, mostly pretty safe these days.

I would note a major plus to the location not previously mentioned: the Midtown Market is directly behind it, in fact you may not even need to leave the building. This is the redevelopment of a former Sears building, which now houses no less than 20 ethnic restaurants and grocery. For me, it would be a dream dinner spot after a long day of work in a rental car. Unfortunately, I live here.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I
My question: Has anyone received a Plat Upgrade to the Suite here? It seems like nobody's ever been upgraded much here......anyway, this Suite is listed in the reservations choices online:
1 King/
Deluxe Suite Non-Smoking, Sweet Sleeper Bed, Den With Wet Bar, Gas Fireplace, 32 Inch Flat Screen LCD TV

Thanks!
Well I can answer my own question: Yes, they do give that Suite out to Plats as upgrades! We paid $139/night in late September, not the best weekend rate for this place, and were upgraded to the suite with the fireplace, leather furniture and plasma TV in both the living room and the bedroom. I think it bumps up against the back wall of the Club Lounge, though there may be one more room in between. A really nice room, but I think there is only one in the property?? Not sure.
Anyway, I must say, it's SO much easier for me when I have family in town for them to stay here. If you live in South Mpls, it's great because to visit/pick up a guest staying there, you don't have to drive either 1) Downtown and deal with parking or 2) on the freeway to the soulless mall area down by I-494.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
New Westin In Edina

While staying at the Sheraton Bloomington this past week I went to dinner at Southdale Mall - a couple of miles from the hotel. Across the street at another smaller, high end mall called the Galleria I saw a large building going up. I was very surprised to see Westin signs on the cranes. I just did a quick search on westin.com and found the Westin Edina Galleria.

I can't wait for it to open giving me a Westin option in the area. The renderings look great, and given it's location it'll be the only hotel in the Bloomington area that has some real restaurants and other amenties that you can get to without a car. I stay at the Sheraton Bloomington fairly often and it's getting very tired and the staff seem to have lost their spark.

I also saw info on a new aloft opening downtown while searching as well.

Minneapolis is beginning to look like Starwood central!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
I also saw info on a new aloft opening downtown while searching as well.

Minneapolis is beginning to look like Starwood central!
Don't forget the new W in the Foshay Tower and the Ivy Hotel (an LC property) a few blocks away. That's three Starwoods opening downtown this summer. After the initial rush of the RNC, I wonder how pricing will settle at the upper end properties.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:07 am

I have now stayed at the Midtown Sheraton in Mpls about 6 times as a Plat, and got the suite 2x. So there is no guarantee about getting it--there's only one. But is is a nice room. All the other rooms are simply nice, standard Sheraton rooms with Sweet Sleeper beds, etc.
Gym is nice with good, new equipment.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:40 am

Update ? Westin vs Sheraton Midtown

As most of the recommendations are a tad older:
which of the two would be better - as I need to go to MSP this week and plan to spend three nights - arriving late on Thursday - meetings on Friday - distance to either property is not relevant - and then have Saturday for some look around the area - yes it is wrong time of the year - before going back miday on Sunday.
Best in terms of facility / plat recognition

TYIA

Cheers

Thomas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.