Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by stuartpig
The Wifi is atrocious. Well non existent. Useless old tvs, about 10 useful channels, but although we can connect our laptop to the tv the Wifi doesn’t work. Don’t get it. How in the 21st century is it so damned difficult???
Do you recommend another Category 5 or lower Marriott? I’m considering London Maida Vale, as I’m arriving from Heathrow for a Thursday through Sunday stay.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by christof
Do you recommend another Category 5 or lower Marriott? I’m considering London Maida Vale, as I’m arriving from Heathrow for a Thursday through Sunday stay.
I can't speak to stuartpig's experience, though note those comments were for the Executive Apartments and not the hotel proper. I've never had problems with the hotel wifi that I can remember, and the TVs were all replaced a year or two ago (~60" wall mounted flat panels with 50+ channels) when they refreshed the rooms. (They actually briefly supported chromecast streaming, which was really useful, but I think they disabled it.)

Canary Wharf is a bit of a slog from Heathrow. Train is 70 - 100 minutes depending on routing. Car is an hour without traffic. If Crossrail ever opens, though, it'll be super convenient as the Crossrail station is about 100 meters away (just past the DLR).
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by christof
I was eventually let into the secret wi fi. We are staying in the proper hotel in 3 weeks at only £106 a night. When I was last there they had a little corner of the bar for evening drinks and food. BTW that price is 7 days a week.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
I can't speak to stuartpig's experience, though note those comments were for the Executive Apartments and not the hotel proper. I've never had problems with the hotel wifi that I can remember, and the TVs were all replaced a year or two ago (~60" wall mounted flat panels with 50+ channels) when they refreshed the rooms. (They actually briefly supported chromecast streaming, which was really useful, but I think they disabled it.)

Canary Wharf is a bit of a slog from Heathrow. Train is 70 - 100 minutes depending on routing. Car is an hour without traffic. If Crossrail ever opens, though, it'll be super convenient as the Crossrail station is about 100 meters away (just past the DLR).
Yes we were in the apartments. TV there was the old system. I recommend getting not using Marriott guest and check with front desk for the useful Wi fi and password. Spent 6 days there then they told me which one was best!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Back at the Canary Wharf Marriott for the first time since 2019 tomorrow night. Booked a Deluxe Room, 48hrs before I’m due to stay I’ve been upgraded to a Studio Suite.

Looking forward to being back. This will only be my second Marriott stay of 2021 (and motivated by a work related status challenge!).
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Back at the Canary Wharf Marriott for the first time since 2019 tomorrow night. Booked a Deluxe Room, 48hrs before I’m due to stay I’ve been upgraded to a Studio Suite.

Looking forward to being back. This will only be my second Marriott stay of 2021 (and motivated by a work related status challenge!).
We are off there on the 1st of August. Hope lounge is up and running by then. It is being refurbished. There two weeks ago and they were decorating.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
We are off there on the 1st of August. Hope lounge is up and running by then. It is being refurbished. There two weeks ago and they were decorating.
Lounge still shut (as of today). No ETA from the staff on when it is due to re-open. Lounge is in a little roped off area of the bar presently.

Breakfast is help yourself buffet again, same as what it was pre-March ‘20.

Bar is open only to 10pm during the week, with longer opening on a Fri / Sat (this caught me out!).

Not the best stay if I’m honest - had the joy of the AC leaking in the room from around 5am (drip drip etc onto the floor). They don’t have anyone working during the night who can assist to solve it, so ended up not sleeping that well ! Token gesture of 10,000 points to make up for it.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Lounge still shut (as of today). No ETA from the staff on when it is due to re-open. Lounge is in a little roped off area of the bar presently.

Breakfast is help yourself buffet again, same as what it was pre-March ‘20.

Bar is open only to 10pm during the week, with longer opening on a Fri / Sat (this caught me out!).

Not the best stay if I’m honest - had the joy of the AC leaking in the room from around 5am (drip drip etc onto the floor). They don’t have anyone working during the night who can assist to solve it, so ended up not sleeping that well ! Token gesture of 10,000 points to make up for it.
Glad the buffet is back. The staff do their best and are lovely but Mr SP is a get up and go morning person and likes to help himself and go. I really should say he is the most impatient man ever!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Had a 3 night stay at this hotel the weekend before last. Had booked a standard room on flexible rate and used 3 SNAs, which cleared for an Executive Suite 4 days before our stay.

The hotel was very busy for one of the 3 nights, but pretty quiet for the next couple of days. Room set-up to use the sofa bed for our daughter was done as promised by the hotel and they put in extra towels and water for the 3rd guest. On arrival there was an ice bucket with some soft and alcoholic drinks, as well as a jar of chocolate covered coffee beans as a welcome gift in the room.

The lounge wasn't open in the normal location, but there was a dedicated lounge space on the ground floor next to the G&T Bar. This was serviced by the staff there and they checked eligibility for access to it. Soft drinks and snacks were available all day, along with hot options and then a dessert service in the evening. Alcohol also provided in the evening as well.

Although the welcome letter mention room service on demand, our room was serviced daily. Not sure if this was a change in hotel operation, or because they were dealing differently with the suites.

Breakfast was back to the normal buffet service. They were definitely managing the food in line with occupancy, so on the quietest day they had smaller serving stations for the hot food and there were a lot less pastries and bread out. I'm sure if anything was missing, it would have been available on demand.

Good stay overall, with the hotel still offering good service and benefits to guests. We'll be back again at some point.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Had a 3 night stay at this hotel the weekend before last. Had booked a standard room on flexible rate and used 3 SNAs, which cleared for an Executive Suite 4 days before our stay.

The hotel was very busy for one of the 3 nights, but pretty quiet for the next couple of days. Room set-up to use the sofa bed for our daughter was done as promised by the hotel and they put in extra towels and water for the 3rd guest. On arrival there was an ice bucket with some soft and alcoholic drinks, as well as a jar of chocolate covered coffee beans as a welcome gift in the room.

The lounge wasn't open in the normal location, but there was a dedicated lounge space on the ground floor next to the G&T Bar. This was serviced by the staff there and they checked eligibility for access to it. Soft drinks and snacks were available all day, along with hot options and then a dessert service in the evening. Alcohol also provided in the evening as well.

Although the welcome letter mention room service on demand, our room was serviced daily. Not sure if this was a change in hotel operation, or because they were dealing differently with the suites.

Breakfast was back to the normal buffet service. They were definitely managing the food in line with occupancy, so on the quietest day they had smaller serving stations for the hot food and there were a lot less pastries and bread out. I'm sure if anything was missing, it would have been available on demand.

Good stay overall, with the hotel still offering good service and benefits to guests. We'll be back again at some point.
We are off for our 4th stay in 3 months on Saturday. We will have done 35 nights thereafter this week. They really have made a huge effort to provide a superior product to all other UK hotels.
RAPC and pazza2000 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:24 am

We are off for our 4th stay in 3 months on Saturday. We will have done 35 nights thereafter this week. They really have made a huge effort to provide a superior product to all other UK hotels.
Great hotel, I just struggle with the location unless you specifically need to be in that area.
stuartpig likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Great hotel, I just struggle with the location unless you specifically need to be in that area.
I never move from the area. Husband is out all day doing hobby and likes coming back for peace and quiet.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Just completed a 4-night stay here on a business trip. I booked an executive room for the high floor. No upgrade (was told no suites available). I have to say that the hotel did feel busy. The room was completely non-descript and could've passed for a Marriott room anywhere else in the world. The bathroom floor is several inches higher than the rest of the room, which can be dangerous if you're not paying attention. The shower could've used a curved rod for extra room. But the room was clean and serviceable. I was a bit annoyed that the TV is on a non-movable flat mount, so I couldn't get enough of an angle on it to figure out where the free HDMI port is to plug in my laptop. And the lighting in the room is totally insufficient for anything but relaxing in the evening. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had room service twice - first time it was exactly as I asked. Second time they delivered someone else's order to me. Then they delivered my order, which wasn't quite right either. The outside windows were quite dirty on the outside. I considered taking a picture, but decided it wasn't worth it.

Although I didn't go there, the lounge is currently open for all-day snacks and evening hors d'oeuvres and dessert. Breakfast is in the restaurant in the lobby. I tried going once but it was busy and I didn't feel like eating in a busy restaurant.

I asked about the executive apartments because I'm planning a stay there in 2022, and was told that they *may* be doing a gut renovation on those. Apparently they were going to do it in 2020, but put it on hold because of the pandemic.

The West India Quay DLR stop couldn't be more convenient as it takes literally 2 minutes to get from the hotel door to the platform. Maybe even less. I rode it to Bank (transfer to Central, Northern and and Waterloo & City lines), which is about a 15-minute trip. The ride back is less convenient because the trains bypass this stop and take you to the Canary Wharf stop. You can change to a train going in the opposite direction for the 1 minute ride back (I mean, you can see one station from the other), or walk back to the hotel from there. I would say the walk back is less than 10 minutes over the North Dock Footbridge and is probably quite pleasant in nice weather. Of course on my first attempt I totally missed it and went the long way around. Don't do that.

Canary Wharf stop is in a shopping center that has all sorts of shops, including a small but relatively fully-featured supermarket. There may be more than one, but I checked out the Tesco Express, the entrance to which is pretty much right off the DLR platform.

At Canary Wharf there are signs up for the Elizabeth underground line station, but it is not open yet. No one seems to know when exactly it will open.
redpalmetto and Duck1981 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Just completed a 4-night stay here on a business trip. I booked an executive room for the high floor. No upgrade (was told no suites available). I have to say that the hotel did feel busy. The room was completely non-descript and could've passed for a Marriott room anywhere else in the world. The bathroom floor is several inches higher than the rest of the room, which can be dangerous if you're not paying attention. The shower could've used a curved rod for extra room. But the room was clean and serviceable. I was a bit annoyed that the TV is on a non-movable flat mount, so I couldn't get enough of an angle on it to figure out where the free HDMI port is to plug in my laptop. And the lighting in the room is totally insufficient for anything but relaxing in the evening. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had room service twice - first time it was exactly as I asked. Second time they delivered someone else's order to me. Then they delivered my order, which wasn't quite right either. The outside windows were quite dirty on the outside. I considered taking a picture, but decided it wasn't worth it.

Although I didn't go there, the lounge is currently open for all-day snacks and evening hors d'oeuvres and dessert. Breakfast is in the restaurant in the lobby. I tried going once but it was busy and I didn't feel like eating in a busy restaurant.

I asked about the executive apartments because I'm planning a stay there in 2022, and was told that they *may* be doing a gut renovation on those. Apparently they were going to do it in 2020, but put it on hold because of the pandemic.

The West India Quay DLR stop couldn't be more convenient as it takes literally 2 minutes to get from the hotel door to the platform. Maybe even less. I rode it to Bank (transfer to Central, Northern and and Waterloo & City lines), which is about a 15-minute trip. The ride back is less convenient because the trains bypass this stop and take you to the Canary Wharf stop. You can change to a train going in the opposite direction for the 1 minute ride back (I mean, you can see one station from the other), or walk back to the hotel from there. I would say the walk back is less than 10 minutes over the North Dock Footbridge and is probably quite pleasant in nice weather. Of course on my first attempt I totally missed it and went the long way around. Don't do that.

Canary Wharf stop is in a shopping center that has all sorts of shops, including a small but relatively fully-featured supermarket. There may be more than one, but I checked out the Tesco Express, the entrance to which is pretty much right off the DLR platform.

At Canary Wharf there are signs up for the Elizabeth underground line station, but it is not open yet. No one seems to know when exactly it will open.
The Elizabeth Line will now open in September 22 (they are quite confident this time) and will then take you to LHR in about 30min.

At the further end of the mentioned shopping centre there's a big Waitrose supermarket, close to the HSBC HQ.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Duck1981
The Elizabeth Line will now open in September 22 (they are quite confident this time) and will then take you to LHR in about 30min.

At the further end of the mentioned shopping centre there's a big Waitrose supermarket, close to the HSBC HQ.
Rats! Boo! That's 3 months too late for my planned trip.

I knew I was missing something, but I was too tired to keep wandering about. Thanks for that detail.
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.