FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:56 pm
sxpsxpsxp

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Just completed a 4-night stay here on a business trip. I booked an executive room for the high floor. No upgrade (was told no suites available). I have to say that the hotel did feel busy. The room was completely non-descript and could've passed for a Marriott room anywhere else in the world. The bathroom floor is several inches higher than the rest of the room, which can be dangerous if you're not paying attention. The shower could've used a curved rod for extra room. But the room was clean and serviceable. I was a bit annoyed that the TV is on a non-movable flat mount, so I couldn't get enough of an angle on it to figure out where the free HDMI port is to plug in my laptop. And the lighting in the room is totally insufficient for anything but relaxing in the evening. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had room service twice - first time it was exactly as I asked. Second time they delivered someone else's order to me. Then they delivered my order, which wasn't quite right either. The outside windows were quite dirty on the outside. I considered taking a picture, but decided it wasn't worth it.

Although I didn't go there, the lounge is currently open for all-day snacks and evening hors d'oeuvres and dessert. Breakfast is in the restaurant in the lobby. I tried going once but it was busy and I didn't feel like eating in a busy restaurant.

I asked about the executive apartments because I'm planning a stay there in 2022, and was told that they *may* be doing a gut renovation on those. Apparently they were going to do it in 2020, but put it on hold because of the pandemic.

The West India Quay DLR stop couldn't be more convenient as it takes literally 2 minutes to get from the hotel door to the platform. Maybe even less. I rode it to Bank (transfer to Central, Northern and and Waterloo & City lines), which is about a 15-minute trip. The ride back is less convenient because the trains bypass this stop and take you to the Canary Wharf stop. You can change to a train going in the opposite direction for the 1 minute ride back (I mean, you can see one station from the other), or walk back to the hotel from there. I would say the walk back is less than 10 minutes over the North Dock Footbridge and is probably quite pleasant in nice weather. Of course on my first attempt I totally missed it and went the long way around. Don't do that.

Canary Wharf stop is in a shopping center that has all sorts of shops, including a small but relatively fully-featured supermarket. There may be more than one, but I checked out the Tesco Express, the entrance to which is pretty much right off the DLR platform.

At Canary Wharf there are signs up for the Elizabeth underground line station, but it is not open yet. No one seems to know when exactly it will open.