Wiki Posts
Search

Cockroach in the room

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO- PLat
Cockroach in the room

i ahve staying at a Fairfield in LAS and watched a cockroach crawl along the bathroom floor this morning. i caught it and put it in an envelope this morning and left it with the front desk clerk (still on NY time it was about 5am)

i am leaving tomorrow, dont really want to move for 12 hours

any ideas of what the management reaction should be? anything that i should say? and to who?
Old May 25, 2005, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know US flew to LAS.
Old May 25, 2005, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO- PLat
not that kinda cockroach - they real kind
Old May 25, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by filmflyer
not that kinda cockroach - they real kind
Hey I'm real. At least I think I am. If I think I am, am I?

Any way, one thing about us roaches, where the is one there are hundreds. If they are in one room, chances are the are in all of them. My guess is your only choice is to move to another hotel and ask for a credit for the night you were already there. Past that you may get points or something if you ask.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; May 25, 2005 at 4:18 pm
Old May 25, 2005, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by filmflyer
any ideas of what the management reaction should be?
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would ask for the manager, or if they aren't around, ask for his business card and send him a polite e-mail. But I'd decide first what, if any, compensation you expect in case that subject comes up in your communications.
Old May 25, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
Are you sure it wasn't just a water bug? They are usually bigger than roaches.
Old May 26, 2005, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it was a palmetto bug. They look a lot like roaches but they're not really roaches.

Or so they tell me.
Old May 26, 2005, 7:57 am
Suspended

I think that they should charge you extra, because two were actually in the room.
RocketG likes this.
Old May 26, 2005, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are you guys serious? Asking for compensation because of a freaking cockroach at the LAS Scarefield Inn?!?

If I spent a night at that hotel and didn't see a cockroach or ten, I would be a bit concerned. Are environmental stressors affecting the local roach population? If they cannot thrive at the local FFI, then where can they thrive?

I mean, it's not like you found a large sewer rat in your room. That would probably cause me to complain, unless the rat seemed to have a good disposition.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:35 am

Programs: NW, MR SE,
I found one, Palmetto bug in my case, in Memphis FF Inn on Showcase

I stayed at this property on 5/24 and found one on the floor in the morning. I just picked it up with a tissue and put it in the sink with some water. It kept swimming around while I was there. I checked out shortly thereafter, so I don't know what the cleaning staff would have done other than just let it go down the drain. Had I found few of them, I would have complained to the management.
Let's wait and see if the staff mentioned this to the management and something gets done. It'll then be on my major surprises list from Marriott.

HJ
Old May 26, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
I have found them in various hotels thru the years. There are billions upon billions of insects in the US alone, and one cockroach in the room is not the end of the world.

If I find two, I would ask the management to spray the room, but that has never happened to me yet.

I have found lots of ants / gnats that I asked the management to take care of and they did a poor job of it, but overall, Marriotts have been great about bugs. They certainly make every effort to be bug free.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Bumping this thread.
Just found a huge roach in my bedroom in a bonvoy hotel. It's really quite big and moved really fast hence why I spotted it just laying in bed.
Managed to trap it under a glass and took some photos along with official hotel paper.
What's the protocol here ?
Never had this happen before.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Bumping this thread.
Just found a huge roach in my bedroom in a bonvoy hotel. It's really quite big and moved really fast hence why I spotted it just laying in bed.
Managed to trap it under a glass and took some photos along with official hotel paper.
What's the protocol here ?
Never had this happen before.
Nice bump.

Are we talking about a cheap Vegas motel or a St Regis? That would make a difference for me.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Nice bump.

Are we talking about a cheap Vegas motel or a St Regis? That would make a difference for me.

A sheraton.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:54 am

If you're still there, I'd definitely let the front desk know. I don't personally overreact to non-stinging/biting bugs, but I think they'd want to know if their hotel is inhabited by large, fast-moving roaches.

Post-stay, I'd mention it in the survey I guess. I don't usually do the surveys but I probably would for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.