Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cockroach in the room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I think I'm the only person who travels with an arsenal of insect control products I carry at least 4 catchmaster glue traps, a 3 oz bottle of concentrated premethrin , small bottle of 99% deet and a 2oz bottle of Terro liquid ant killer (which is the bomb). I expect the worse no matter what hotel I use, and spray the mattress and bathroom with permethrin and put down a glue traps or two.

I've caught bugs!

These items all fit in my personal carry on item and inside my 311 pouch. Never travel without them. In addition to a hotel already having insect infestation problems, guest bring along insects that hop along for a ride in their luggage which accounts for bed bugs unfortunately.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
What's the protocol here ?
1. Post pic.
2. Name property.
3. Request input on how much compensation to demand.
A sheraton.
Whoops. Never mind. That's brand standard.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Nice bump.
14 years, 12 days. FT record?
DJ_Iceman and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Thanks for the replies.
Took some pictures, called front desk...someone came to remove it in see through plastic bag.
After a bit of light complaining at check-out (and reception staff checking with their manager) I was offered 50% off the booked room rate, which I accepted.

They also said they will deep clean the room.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thanks for the replies.
Took some pictures, called front desk...someone came to remove it in see through plastic bag.
After a bit of light complaining at check-out (and reception staff checking with their manager) I was offered 50% off the booked room rate, which I accepted.

They also said they will deep clean the room.
That seems like a reasonable resolution.

I had a large unwelcome bug at the Westin Tysons Corner many years ago and was offered the night for free + points equal to one night (which I found fair because I ended up leaving and booking a room elsewhere).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be concerned about relatives of the cockroach you caught coming home with you in your luggage, etc. Be very careful.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be concerned about relatives of the cockroach you caught coming home with you in your luggage, etc. Be very careful.
This is in asia...if you're well travelled here in the summer months...you'll know the large size I mean.
(It's the kind that have wings and can fly too).
They would be easy to spot if there are any more in my luggage.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:46 pm

One week while staying at the Marriott College Park, MD, a colleague who is very germaphobic (and a bit of a whiner) saw one in his room around mid-night. He left, went to a Courtyard down the road. Another colleague saw one in his room that was directly across from the lounge.

He stayed, I stayed, and the rest of us stayed (probably about 20 of us), and saw no more.

The dude that left ended up getting 10,000 points for his trouble, which isn't bad, considering his entire stay for the 4 nights would have been about 14,000 points.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Just found a huge roach in my bedroom in a bonvoy hotel. It's really quite big and moved really fast hence why I spotted it just laying in bed.
Managed to trap it under a glass and took some photos along with official hotel paper.
What's the protocol here ?
Post the photos here.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Had one of those visitors at the Ritz Carlton

A few "luxury" hotel bug stories to share.

...roughly 5-6 years ago I found a roach in our suite at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. No compensation was offered despite my asking. They sprayed down the room while we were at the pool. No offer to move us. We found a few dead ones over the course of the week-long stay after the spraying. The staff was non-chalant about it.

Only other run in with a sketchy bug was at the Naka Island Luxury collection 2 years ago. I found a 3+in scorpion waiting for me in the stone soaking tub "clicking" upset late one evening. Pic attached, it was larger than the 3 inch drain. Also ran into a flying "water bug" during our stay in same stone soaking tub. Apparently the property sprays daily around guest villas during rainy season to keep the various bugs at Bay. I ran into another scorpion on a pathway walking back to our room with my 6 year old...you really need to watch your way

during the evening & night when walking around barefoot or in flip flops.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:10 pm

In many areas which are tropical or somewhat rural you cannot help but have bugs. I remember living in a new house built in the desert (or what was desert, called southern California). Lots of bugs.
You are invading their territory. It'll take quite a few years before you can shoo them away.

Anyway, the ones in America aren't so scary cause they don't fly.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA

...roughly 5-6 years ago I found a roach in our suite at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. No compensation was offered despite my asking.
If you stay in Hawaii hotels - the roaches get in by leaving the lanai (or deck as other call them) sliding glass door open by you or a previous guest. Housekeeping deals with this all the time. The B-52's as we call them are prolific climbers, so staying on the 30th floor of the Sheraton Waikiki still won't necessarily make you immune from the critters.

Us residents mitigate it with screens which I'm surprised the hotels don't use.....
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
In many areas which are tropical or somewhat rural you cannot help but have bugs. I remember living in a new house built in the desert (or what was desert, called southern California). Lots of bugs.
You are invading their territory. It'll take quite a few years before you can shoo them away.

Anyway, the ones in America aren't so scary cause they don't fly.
Yep, the desert Southwest has all the reptile type creatures and creepy crawlers. I've seen them. Gigantic tarantulas, scorpions and rattlesnakes
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
This is in asia...if you're well travelled here in the summer months...you'll know the large size I mean.
(It's the kind that have wings and can fly too).
They would be easy to spot if there are any more in my luggage.
I spend quite a bit of time in Asia and know exactly what you mean. We have them in NYC too. The eggs are tiny, and wouldn’t be easily detectable in your luggage.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I notice a lot of people mentioning tropical climates and cockroaches being inevitable. Imo this is complete BS. I have been traveling extensively in all of Asia and Middle East and stayed in luxury hotels (JW/Ren and upwards) and never encountered a cockroach in the room or on the property. Perhaps I’m a bit over the top but if I saw roaches I would not be able to relax so my only option would be to check out.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:12 pm

I've lived in Florida all my life and can assure you, insects happen here. I don't care how much you spray, seal, etc., they will happen from time to time. That said, I've never had a roach encounter at a Florida Marriott property, but I'm sure it happens. Even the Happiest Place on Earth (Disney) deals with them constantly as the 1,300 separate threads show. Trust me, Disney's insect control program is absolutely top-notch, but even with that it's still a problem.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.