Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
We are just back from an excellent one night stay at the Excelsior. I checked the booking on spg.com the day before and noticed we had been upgraded (from a deluxe room) to a "Junior Suite". However, when we saw the 4th floor corner suite (not Veneto but the Marche/Sicilia corner), there was nothing Junior in it. Reminded me of worldtrav's nice summary:

Originally Posted by worldtrav
The best upgrade I ever had was at the Excelsior. I truly felt I was living at Versailles.
In search for a cosy restaurant off Veneto, I found this thread very useful. As we set off quite early (soon after 6pm), Pomodorino was practically empty and we decided against it. Fortunately, even closer to the Excelsior,

Originally Posted by catchatiger
La Bruschetta at Via Sardegna, 39.
was exactly what we were looking for: three out of six tables already taken, all of them by locals (a sign says there are more tables downstairs), friendly and quick service, reasonable prices, really good food.

Earlier in this thread, Tak made a comment about the lack of free mineral water. We initially shared this feeling and reluctantly took a 5dl San Pellegrino from the minibar for 4.5eur. However, this did not get charged - even when I asked at checkout. Furthermore, we noticed later that there was a large bottle of water and a fruit basket in the hallway for complimentary use.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:16 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bkc6j
After we got out of the elevator, he looked at the room key packet and said "Can you wait a minute for me? I am having trouble reading the room number here." Except it certainly seemed to read X08. He left us waiting in the lobby of that floor for 5-10 minutes while he either went back down the stairs or ducked into a room to use a phone. When he returned he took us to a different room (not the Via Veneto, but a Jr Suite) and then while I was standing there used a pen in the room to scratch out the X08 and put our current room number.
LMAO! Sorry to be late in reading your post and sorry to hear of your bad experience however sadly in my limited experience is - not at this hotel - but in Italy esp. in Venice, Rome and all the tourist traps - is this kind of poor italian behaviour. Some might think its poor form but I disagree, and I think its just a rude cultural behaviour that some italians exhibit!

Originally Posted by timol
Earlier in this thread, Tak made a comment about the lack of free mineral water. We initially shared this feeling and reluctantly took a 5dl San Pellegrino from the minibar for 4.5eur. However, this did not get charged - even when I asked at checkout. Furthermore, we noticed later that there was a large bottle of water and a fruit basket in the hallway for complimentary use.
Yeah or you could head to the gym/fitness centre and top up your water bottles
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:44 am
Original Member

Current stay report

Just checked into Westin Excelsior. We are using the I love Italy package which means you must stay for a combination of 7 nights at any Luxury Collection Hotel in Italy. The cost is 360 USD per night that includes American breakfast for 3 ppl and free rollaway for my daughter. The fact that you are guaranteed in USD sold it for me. At the last minute last week, I booked an extra night to guarantee a room upon our early arrival into Rome. I emailed with the hotel ahead of time to verify the rate and details, the rollaway, and not to give our room away because we were not arriving until the next day early am. They verified all details and were very courteous, noting my platinum status.
I checked my reservation the day we were leaving, and saw the details were no longer accessible, so assumed they had given us some upgrade.
Upon arrival, they speedily checked us in and I took the platinum breakfast, as it was not included in my corporate rate for the first night. And thought the savings was worth more than 500 points.
Upon checkin to the room we had been upgraded to a 2 room suite, with both the living room and bedroom having separate balconies overlooking the busy street. The suite is on the 6th floor. Absolutely stunning!
The breakfast was quite nice, did not include any meats or hot items. However my mom helped herself to some salmon and cheese, and didnt want to stop her, so I inquired about the buy up cost and was told €19. You are entitled to the extensive breads table (at least 6 gorgeous breads), anything from the juice table, cereals, and anything from the rather long beautiful pastries table. Additionally all coffees (including latte and cappucino), and specialty water like Pellegrino included. When I asked for the bill, they wrote it off! How sweet!

So far very impressed with this hotel. Just a note, no water included in room, so will need to purchase outside.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by gabbysz
So far very impressed with this hotel. Just a note, no water included in room, so will need to purchase outside.
Originally Posted by timol
[...] Furthermore, we noticed later that there was a large bottle of water and a fruit basket in the hallway for complimentary use.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by gabbysz
Just checked into Westin Excelsior. We are using the I love Italy package which means you must stay for a combination of 7 nights at any Luxury Collection Hotel in Italy. The cost is 360 USD per night that includes American breakfast for 3 ppl and free rollaway for my daughter. The fact that you are guaranteed in USD sold it for me. At the last minute last week, I booked an extra night to guarantee a room upon our early arrival into Rome. I emailed with the hotel ahead of time to verify the rate and details, the rollaway, and not to give our room away because we were not arriving until the next day early am. They verified all details and were very courteous, noting my platinum status.
I checked my reservation the day we were leaving, and saw the details were no longer accessible, so assumed they had given us some upgrade.
Upon arrival, they speedily checked us in and I took the platinum breakfast, as it was not included in my corporate rate for the first night. And thought the savings was worth more than 500 points.
Upon checkin to the room we had been upgraded to a 2 room suite, with both the living room and bedroom having separate balconies overlooking the busy street. The suite is on the 6th floor. Absolutely stunning!
The breakfast was quite nice, did not include any meats or hot items. However my mom helped herself to some salmon and cheese, and didnt want to stop her, so I inquired about the buy up cost and was told €19. You are entitled to the extensive breads table (at least 6 gorgeous breads), anything from the juice table, cereals, and anything from the rather long beautiful pastries table. Additionally all coffees (including latte and cappucino), and specialty water like Pellegrino included. When I asked for the bill, they wrote it off! How sweet!

Very nice. We had a great stay in a 2 bedroom, 2bath suite at this resort in August of 2008. We were also 3 (with our daughter in tow).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:03 am

Nice to hear this property continues to impress. My hotel or choice in Rome, and one of my favorites system-wide.

Cheers,
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Agreed; this hotel has treated me better than any others, aside from the Florence properties. Only reason to get Plat for me.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I will be back at the hotel in May for 3 nights and wonder whether it makes sense to use the Suite Night awards. I've been at the hotel twice before and received upgrades to amazing suites both times. However, I don't know the suite category I was upgraded to. The top category suite that I can request using the SNA is a Grandluxe. I think I was upgraded to a higher category suite for my previous stays. If they are still upgrading platinum guests regularly to a higher category, if I use my SNAs and they are accepted for a Grandluxe, then I'll potentially both be wasting my SNAs and getting a lower category upgrade than I would otherwise have received. Can any plats share their recent upgrade experiences here with and without using the SNAs?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite
...Can any plats share their recent upgrade experiences here with and without using the SNAs?
We (two adults and a 4-year old) did a 5 night paid stay over Easter. Although I had never stayed at the property before, I chose not to use use my SNA based on the plat upgrades/treatment others said they had at the property (and didn't want to use so many in one shot right just a few weeks into the new benefit system). It appeared occupancy must have been fairly low based on the room rate and the website showed a lot of paid availability for standard suites the last I looked before out stay. So, I rolled the dice. Anyhow, at check-in we were upgraded to a Grandluxe Room, not suite--several categories down the food chain. I didn't see that one coming based on the experiences of other ft'ers and my own generally good luck when it comes to getting solid suite upgrades at Starwood properties. I was initially a little bummed I chose the Excelsior over the St. Regis and Eden in no small part because of the plat treatment described on this thread. That having been said, I requested and the hotel did kindly move us to a Grandluxe Suite when something opened up a couple days later. In hindsight, I wished I had just used half of my newly minted SNAs. Guess that's what you get for hoarding.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BizNYC
We (two adults and a 4-year old) did a 5 night paid stay over Easter. Although I had never stayed at the property before, I chose not to use use my SNA based on the plat upgrades/treatment others said they had at the property (and didn't want to use so many in one shot right just a few weeks into the new benefit system). It appeared occupancy must have been fairly low based on the room rate and the website showed a lot of paid availability for standard suites the last I looked before out stay. So, I rolled the dice. Anyhow, at check-in we were upgraded to a Grandluxe Room, not suite--several categories down the food chain. I didn't see that one coming based on the experiences of other ft'ers and my own generally good luck when it comes to getting solid suite upgrades at Starwood properties. I was initially a little bummed I chose the Excelsior over the St. Regis and Eden in no small part because of the plat treatment described on this thread. That having been said, I requested and the hotel did kindly move us to a Grandluxe Suite when something opened up a couple days later. In hindsight, I wished I had just used half of my newly minted SNAs. Guess that's what you get for hoarding.
Thanks very much. It sounds like I should try to use my SNAs for this stay.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'll be heading to the Westin in a few days. Does anyone have any recent transportation information from FCO to the hotel? All the links provided in the first few pages of this thread no longer work.

I will be travelling alone, arrive 08:30, so would prefer something cheaper than a cab. I will have carry on only.

TIA
Old May 2, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'll be heading to the Westin in a few days. Does anyone have any recent transportation information from FCO to the hotel? All the links provided in the first few pages of this thread no longer work.

I will be travelling alone, arrive 08:30, so would prefer something cheaper than a cab. I will have carry on only.

TIA
I will provide a detailed review in my next post. I just checked out of the Westin Excelsior Rome.

To get from FCO to the Westin Excelsior (cheapest method)

Go to the arrivals hall and follow the bus signs:

Buy a 4euro one way ticket to Rome Termini station from Terravision bus company (journey is 45 min w/ traffic)

You will get dropped off at Rome Termini station, so go inside the station and follow the signs for the Metro A.

Buy a 1euro Metro ticket (the one that has a one hour time limit) or 4 euro(all day metro pass) at the ticket machine.

Take Metro A (towards Batitstini) and get off at station: Spagna (two stops from Termini)

This is the most important step when exiting Spagna station.. FOLLOW THE SIGNS that say "VIA VENETO". There are multiple exits at Spagna, so make sure to follow the signs that head towards "Via Veneto" This journey to exit will take 10-15minutes because the metro is DEEPLY underground and there might be a luggage factor since some parts have no escalators.

You will see the Marriott hotel when you exit the Via Veneto exit and you need to cross the street towards the Marriott hotel and make a right. The Westin Excelsior Rome is a 2 minute walk
Old May 2, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thank you so much for that detailed information!
Old May 2, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
upon checking into the Westin Excelsior Rome as a SPG Plat,

I was given an upgrade to a Grand Luxe suite as I booked a standard room on C+P.

I chose the breakfast as my platinum amenity and it was a full hot breakfast at doney's restaurant

I was given a 4pm late checkout

Free in room wifi for unlimited devices using your room # & last name

The room had a balcony area view where you could see the top of St Peters Basilica. A previous poster posted pics of that same suite as well in this thread.

Everyone was really nice and the hotel was fantastic! Great value for $150+8000 starpoints. The downside is that the hotel taxes on another $25 fee because of the tourist tax that isnt included in the $150. Overall, it was easy to use the metro and walk around in Rome from the hotel.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:14 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Overnight Accommodation Tax in Rome

Originally Posted by jammanxc
...The downside is that the hotel taxes on another $25 fee because of the tourist tax that isnt included in the $150...
It's not the hotel that "taxes on another" fee, it's the city of Rome and no Rome hotel includes this (relatively) new tourist tax in the 10% VAT - because it has nothing to do with the VAT. However, most properties will include information about this tourist tax on their website - but I don't see any mention on the Excelsior's page, perhaps I missed it though.

By law you'll be charged €3 per night, up to a maximum of 10 nights (that's the rate for all 4 and 5 star hotels).

See this link for more details:
OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATION TAX IN ROME

Originally Posted by jammanxc
...The room had a balcony area view where you could see the top of St Peters Basilica. A previous poster posted pics of that same suite as well in this thread....
I'm glad you liked your room, but are you certain it was the dome of St. Peters that you saw? It doesn't seem to me that the Quirinale (the hill that the Excelsior is on) is high enough that you would have seen over the Pincio (the hill that the Hassler sits atop). But regardless, it sounds like you had a nice view!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.