Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:37 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed at this property the 2nd week of December. The property is still a mess and undergoing extensive renovations. The lobby in particular was a construction mess! A trainee checked me in under the watchful eye of another front desk clerk. My Platinum status was confirmed, no room upgrade offered or asked by me. One of the few times the past few months I have not received a suite at a Starwood hotel. I was on a newly renovated floor. The construction guys up there were in fact putting up the room numbers and initially pointed me to the wrong room. Plain King Size room newly furnished and never inhabited before... there was even a tag sticking out of the new ottoman which clearly had never been used. My only complaint was the toxic fumes that reeked of the place! Talk about new chemical smell! Other than that as others have described a nice stay... breakfast coupon given as the lounge was still closed and undergoing renovations.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
In terms of renovations, what are they doing on the old, two-story building behind the tower? Minor refurbishment? Gutting it and renovating? Tearing it down?

This is where all of the suites are (other than the Presidential Suite), and even the regular rooms are much larger than those in the tower.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sc flier
In terms of renovations, what are they doing on the old, two-story building behind the tower? Minor refurbishment? Gutting it and renovating? Tearing it down?

This is where all of the suites are (other than the Presidential Suite), and even the regular rooms are much larger than those in the tower.
I personally can not comment as I didn't see the other parts of the hotel. I can only say that the portions I saw looked like they were undergoing extensive remodeling. Maybe others can comment?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I just stayed at the Sheraton Salt Lake and I was very impressed with the renovated room! The lobby is still a mess and full of construction equipment. It is even a little hard to find the entrance. However, the front desk clerk was very friendly and apologized for the mess. She was unable to find me a King bed and gave me a double bed room on the 8th floor. She apologized that she was unable to offer me a suite or an upgrade, and thanked me for my loyalty to Starwood. I asked her about the construction, and she said the entire thing should be finished by March. They are currently working on the 1st, 2nd, and 10th floors. She said the suites and the Sheraton Club are on the 10th floor, which is why they do not have upgrades.

Anyway, I was pretty skeptical of this hotel after reading the reviews on FT, and it does not look promising from the outside or from the lobby. However, I was very impressed with the hotel room. It was all completely new. The bedspreads had bright white comforters and sheets (unlike the old dark comforters). It also had a comfortable chair and an accompanying glass table. The television was awesome - a 32 inch Sharp Aquos. The bathroom was very nice as well with a large round soaking tub/shower combo and the rounded shower curtain. They had a new bath product (at least new to me) - Shine by Bliss spa. Are these standard at Sheraton now? The bathroom was stocked with two bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, amenity kit, and a loofah! There was also a free bottle of water.

I sampled the room service and it was excellent. Lots of healthy choices, with multiple salads, appetizers and dessert. It was delivered promptly and accurately.

Also, all the rooms have very nice step out balconies that offer pretty good views of the city.

The only complaint is the lack of electrical outlets in the room. The outlet near the tv did not work leaving only one accessible outlet which is not nearly enough to charge laptop, blackberry, ipod, etc.

All in all, I was very happy with this stay and would definitely stay here again. I hope Sheraton adopts this renovated style and Shine bath products across the rest of its brand.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:59 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Warning - no suites

I had a suite booked with points, when we checked in last week, we got to the room...no suite. Back to the desk, and told the manager, that while, my room was nice, it wasn't the suite I had booked. I had a confirmation from SPG, but was told that all their suites are in renovation. So the family was given a room with a roll away and it felt like a cramped cruise ship. I was refunded the extra points used from a standard room, and we were given breakfast. I had to ask the desk for breakfast coupons for they weren't delivered as they were supposed to be. Later during the 4 night stay, one of the staff had asked how my stay was, I told her that she might want to score some points by calling people in their database that have suites booked, ahead of time. She said that they have told SPG many times to correct it in the reservation system. Seems to me a hotel would know ahead of time, who has a suite reservation, and they could call them to let them know there is nothing available. But no, it's easier to blame SPG than to take responsibility for your own hotel.
No pool, it's under renovation along with most of the hotel. Interestingly, our last night I was looking out of the balcony and there was Embassy Suites. I think I'll remember that next time.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:35 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
I wanted to give an update on this thread since no one has commented since the upgrades have been completed.

I'm currently on my 8th stay here in the last 4 or so weeks. I've been staying on Monday and Wednesday nights so I can get my free weekend nights. The renovation is fully complete and the rooms and lobby spaces are quite nice. Looking at prices at for the downtown SLC hotels, I think the Sheraton represents quite a value. I've been using their "Limited View" room rate for the high 120's. Its a prepay rate on spg.com and its served me well, basically making the Sheraton the cheapest Full and even Limited Service hotel in downtown SLC (without including HoJo's and Motel 6's). I warn you if you book this rate you will get put into 3rd floor rooms who's view consists of a cinderblock wall. I'll hit Gold next week so I'll keep everyone tuned if they upgrade me. They have 300+ rooms that never look full, so I'm hoping for the best.

But long and short of my post is, I definately recommend the hotel after the upgrade. The beds are new and comfortable. There is 42 in Sharp LCD's in all the rooms, and the bathrooms have been updated down to the toliets. It was definately a ground up remodel. The Kings are gigantic in the tower portion but they are more than adequate for my needs.

Ciao!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold and proud of it
spent 1 night here on drive from California to Wyoming.

Lobby was beautiful. Trainees at reception with supervisor, very pleasant, confirmed Gold status. Lobby pretty empty, free computers available, but wifi 9.95/day in room

Very nice room for Sheraton, on 6th floor, looking to downtown, roof view looking down.

Initially, we declined porter's services. But I had brought "Big Bertha" suitcase and Mr HB was tired. 40 minutes later, still no luggage arrived. Called reception and luggage arrived with very unhappy porter. Still not sure what that was about, as the whole hotel was pretty empty.

Also, on room arrival, there was invoice on floor. Ends up, was for guest 1 floor down, called reception, invoice retrieved.

And the most important.....only 1 bar of soap
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Quite an improvement compared to pre-reno's. My only complaint is the best available room for a Plat guest is the 3rd floor looking at a brick wall!?! That's all she could do at check-in I was told. I'm here for the week, I plan on asking to speak to someone about moving.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Just stayed recently on a Friday night. I booked a 2Q room. Upon arrival, was told that I was upgraded to a 1K on the club level. I asked about 2 beds or a suite. She offered me the Loft Suite, which I took.

Nicely renovated suite. We used the sofabed which was fine, other than the table in front of it weighing a ton and being tough to move. The room was very quiet, the AC worked well and we had a nice little balcony overlooking the pool. Room only had one complementary bottle of water.

The lounge was closed for the weekend, so we were given two breakfast buffet coupons. You still had access to the lounge for soft drinks. I went there hoping to snag a couple more bottles of water, but there weren't any in the in the fridge, just non-diet sodas.

Parking was free. Two block walk to the microbrewpubs. I liked Squatters beer a little better than Redrocks.

I would stay here again if I were forced to spend an evening in SLC again.

Rich
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum, Starwood-Platinum
As was the case with the last poster, I recently stayed here on a Friday night. The front desk already had already placed a pair of breakfast coupons in my key packet and the receptionist indicated that my 500 point Platinum Amenity was requested. I was given a room on the Club-level that was quite large and very clean. The room included one bottle of water and two types of Starbuck's coffee. The lounge was closed for the weekend, so I did not get a chance to take a look at it. The breakfast was available at an Italian restaurant, Olio, that is located within the hotel. The menu was limited, but the food, service, and atmospere were all very nice.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Nice little stay

I was having some surgery done up at the U of Utah, so I decided to do my pre-and-post-surgery stay at the Sheraton. It would save me the effort of finding a friend to drive me up and down the canyon twice in two days. I paid for the standard room, nothing fancy, didn't pay for the club level room (since I wouldn't be able to partake the night before or morning of my surgery). I did let them know when I made my reservation that I would like a quiet room so I could relax before and after my surgery. When I arrived at the hotel, it was a nice change from the last time I stayed. the renovations were complete. The lobby is very nice and expansive, with workstations and a large communal table for people to plug in their laptops. I was welcomed by the front desk agent, my Gold status acknowledged, and given my key to my 9th floor room. The agent told me to please call them if I needed any help during my stay, a nice touch. The room I received was at the end of the hallway, away from the elevators. It was indeed quiet. The room was larger than the one I had the last time I stayed, probably by 1/3. A nice king bed and a 42" Sharp HDTV to keep me occupied was all I needed. The bathroom had 2 bars of the nice Bliss soap, for those interested in the 1 bar or 2 bars deal.
The lobby has a Starbucks in it, so I was able to grab a Venti Eggnog Latte when I got back from surgery. Yum!
I had brought my own goodies to eat, so I didn't sample the offerings at the First Press lounge or the Olio restaurant. If I had felt up to it, I would have walked up a few blocks to the Acme Burger Co. or Settebello Pizza. Both excellent places, but I just wasn't up to the walk.
I'll still recommend this Sheraton as a good place to stay in SLC. To me, it's an excellent bargain.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:33 am

-Duplicate-

Last edited by ehud; Jun 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:31 pm

Just stayed here for couple of nights.
Got upgraded to their "presidential suite". Very nice !

The Club lounge offering is one of the best in N.America with a great attendant.

One of my better Sheraton experiences.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its been close to a year since the last post....any recent experiences????

i have a conference in logan in the first week or june & will be spending a night in salt lake city on the way back....it seems like the reviews have been good since the renovation was completed a couple of years ago....
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
What would recommend between Loft Suite, Junior Suite, Corner Suite? Do either of these have a sofabed? Will be travelling with spouse & 2 chidren.

I went through the previous posts but it's not clear given renovations that were completed recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.