Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Personally I would rate, Marriott/Andaz/Renn.
I've always stayed at the Renaissance when I've been in Amsterdam (also by myself or with my partner, and no kids) and I always look forward to going back. It's a quick walk to Central Station, and thus also easy access to lots of public transit. The rooms are comfortable and I think have a better design than either the old or new Marriott rooms (based on pictures of those), and the lounge is usually well-stocked and relaxing.

I admit the neighborhood may not be everyone's first choice, as it's at the edge of the central tourist area and the museums are a tram ride away. OTOH, there are some great neighborhoods with nice shops and restaurants just a short walk in the other direction, including an a-mazingly decadent pancake restaurant. So while I haven't stayed at the Marriott, the reason is that I haven't wanted for anything different from the Renn.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by twa777
So while I haven't stayed at the Marriott, the reason is that I haven't wanted for anything different from the Renn.
I'm similar but on the Marriott side. Easy access from the airport, Leidesplein a good location, large exec lounge, decent rooms & I've always gotten upgraded. I keep saying I should stay at the Ren once just to try it, but then think eh, why bother? I like the Marriott, have stayed at it for 15 years running, & have gotten to know the staff/am happy there.

Cheers.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:28 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
& I've always gotten upgraded.
My limited experience (well, about 10+ stays for family & friends) has yielded many nice upgrades (and suites). This was when we were Platinum. I get the impression they treat repeat guests well. Which is terrific. Our corporate rates used to trend around €135'ish. So, with the "perks" it was a steal.

I tend to go to "extremes." We are not that hotel loyal. When the corporate rate (or otherwise) is low enough, and the perks strong enough... we will stay at a 4* chain property. Otherwise, if we tend to focus luxury properties.

Having lived in Amsterdam for 3+ years (just moved), both locations (Marriott and Renaissance) are great and have advantages and disadvantages.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Previously not a Marriott fan but an SPG regular.Last year when the Pullitzer pulled out of SPG we stayed at the Marriott as an exec room there was cheaper than any other choice.We became fans of the hotel because of the fantastic staff.Particularly the lounge manager who coped with everything thrown at him including a bag snatching incident.

But the best was the concierge desk.We arrived at the hotel in the clothes we had worn for 4 days thanks to BA losing our bags.BA had just told us they had no idea where the bags were but had been paced on a flight to AMS 2 days previously.They said they could be of no more help.The concierge wouldn't take no for an answer and tracked them down to the unclaimed baggage at AMS.Apparently BA staff had not removed them from the carousel.BA still wouldn't deliver them when told of the location so we had to go to Schipol to claim them.Turned out that they were due to be shipped back to Australia.

Apart from that enjoyed the location and the lounge and have no hesitation in returning.My only regret is that I didn't join MR then.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by drron
Previously not a Marriott fan but an SPG regular.Last year when the Pullitzer pulled out of SPG we stayed at the Marriott as an exec room there was cheaper than any other choice.We became fans of the hotel because of the fantastic staff.Particularly the lounge manager who coped with everything thrown at him including a bag snatching incident.

But the best was the concierge desk.We arrived at the hotel in the clothes we had worn for 4 days thanks to BA losing our bags.BA had just told us they had no idea where the bags were but had been paced on a flight to AMS 2 days previously.They said they could be of no more help.The concierge wouldn't take no for an answer and tracked them down to the unclaimed baggage at AMS.Apparently BA staff had not removed them from the carousel.BA still wouldn't deliver them when told of the location so we had to go to Schipol to claim them.Turned out that they were due to be shipped back to Australia.

Apart from that enjoyed the location and the lounge and have no hesitation in returning.My only regret is that I didn't join MR then.

It's one of our favorite Marriotts around the world. And yes the concierge desk there excels. We would fly in from the US, spend the night, repack and leave a large suitcase there fly down to Africa on safari then return for a few days. Luggage already in our room when we returned @ 6 am . And believe me that breakfast in the lounge was a welcome sight after being in the bush for a week.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:46 am

avoid the marriott until the construction is complete. Really thought about this deserving its own thread. I recently left after 2 of the 3 nights being awoken around 7am to pounding and demolishing crews working. The one night with no noise early AM was a banking holiday and probably why no noise. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!! Construction does not start after 9am. I have videos and pictures documenting it. The staff basically said they can't control the situation. I was told after several complaints (no manager would speak to me on duty and I am Plat) that I would be comped the last 2 nights. Got home to see an email asking if I wanted 1 night or 65K points. You know they know it is an issue when they delivered a chocolate bar shaped like a wrench to people like me who complained (I saw a cart full of them). I promised they didn't just order those that day.

I even emailed the hotel prior to booking and explained I have 2 very young kids on their first trip over the pond and I was concerned about the construction. I was assured the hotel would be quiet until 9am. I was happy to stay elsewhere (top tier at 3 chains). It was all a complete lie. The staff in good faith should not be telling people in a letter when they check in when they know they can't control when the workers start. Spoke to a worker (looked to be in charge) doing construction and he had never heard of the 9am policy. So clearly none of the construction people had heard of it.

They really should shut the hotel or make other arrangements. Hotel otherwise was nice. Was in a Newly redone room. Was nice however the shower is very slippery on the tile. I slipped once and wife and kids did too. Why in the States tile on floor of the shower are usually small titles not the same as on the walls.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:02 pm

Any idea when they are scheduled to be complete with the construction? Staying there with the family later this year.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
where is the construction? Hotel? Street?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And where was your room? Is this really affecting all rooms or only rooms facing a particular direction?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:47 am

Not sure when it ends I think March. I would not stay in ANY room. They put me in the room they thought would be the quietest. The work appears to be occurring now on the top 4-6 floors. I was floor 2. Trust Me. I like this hotel. Stay often and I am giving out the warning to help others make the change now.

As I said the redone rooms are nice and modern, but until the work is done AVOID IT!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:49 am

If you are looking for options nearby the Park Plaza is down the street a few blocks and will comp you Gold with your Marriott Status. If not the Renaissance is the best Marriott option.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:17 am

The hotel has 11 floors & the hallways go in two different directions. I think saying not to stay in any room is a bit extreme.

Having said that, if you're near the construction sounds like it isn't fun (as it isn't at any hotel of any chain - I've stayed in dif hotels of dif chains that had construction on-going).

I've sent an email to the hotel to find out when the construction will be done & which floors are still being done.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:43 am

If you are facing the hotel with the Leidseplein at your back, I was staying in front of the flags on floor 2. The scaffolding was on the left side of the building (if facing it) about 25 meters away. If the Hotel has 11 floors it would mesh with what looked to be about 1/2 the hotel being worked on or 4-6 floors.

Like I said I emailed them in advance and got assurances the noise wouldn't start until 9am. I wouldn't take the chance unless you like jack hammering. I am not trashing the hotel as I have stay here numerous times...I would just avoid it until the hotel is done.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:03 am

As a follow up. I wanted to say the Hotel was fantastic after researching my issues. I am completely satisfied on resolution.

Construction to end in April (end of month). Construction won't be starting until after 9am.

As I said previously, this is a great location and hotel. Has a great lounge too. I am happy they lived up to their reputation in resolving my issues. Feel free to delete my other posts.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:09 am

Thanks for the update. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.