Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:43 pm

We were there in July and also previous years
nice hotel with very good location, I’m only gold now so not really upgraded

Pool is great and a good size for swimming
breakfast buffet in dining room is extrnsive
The lounge was closed for renovations when we were there in July, but previously it was quite pleassnt

Other than the Shanghai La , I would recommend this hotel first although I think the Sheraton has a better location
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by elephentravels
Anyone stayed at this property recently? Planning a trip to Guilin in May, and the four points looks out of the way.
Spent a night there it was ok. Didn't get upgraded to anything special as gold. I was just there for one night arriving late and leaving early so my time was limited. Nothing amazing but a reliable place to sleep.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
We plan to make our first visit to Guilin in early November, but I read a lot of very recent bad reviews on TripAdvisor how the hotel is dated and unpleasant, with the reviews average no better than 2 stars:
Reviewed 3 days ago "Not the Sheraton hotel you know",
Reviewed 6 days ago "Great Un-met Potential"
Reviewed 1 week ago: "Certainly not 5 star"
Reviewed 2 weeks ago: "Not recommended"
Reviewed 4 weeks ago: "Poor service not up to Sheraton standards"
Reviewed June 3, 2018: "Damp, dark, dated, and depressing"
Reviewed May 18, 2018: "Terrible"

These reviews really give us very bad feelings and wonder if we should just forget about Starwood/Marriott in this trip. But the earlier reviews on this thread seem to indicate Sheraton Guilin is passable. With the negative reviews we can perhaps lower our expectations, but we do not want unpleasant experiences that do not meet a decent standard. I wonder if those who have been there recently can offer some insights and guidance, which will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Aug 6, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
We plan to make our first visit to Guilin in early November, but I read a lot of very recent bad reviews on TripAdvisor how the hotel is dated and unpleasant, with the reviews average no better than 2 stars:
Reviewed 3 days ago "Not the Sheraton hotel you know",
Reviewed 6 days ago "Great Un-met Potential"
Reviewed 1 week ago: "Certainly not 5 star"
Reviewed 2 weeks ago: "Not recommended"
Reviewed 4 weeks ago: "Poor service not up to Sheraton standards"
Reviewed June 3, 2018: "Damp, dark, dated, and depressing"
Reviewed May 18, 2018: "Terrible"

These reviews really give us very bad feelings and wonder if we should just forget about Starwood/Marriott in this trip. But the earlier reviews on this thread seem to indicate Sheraton Guilin is passable. With the negative reviews we can perhaps lower our expectations, but we do not want unpleasant experiences that do not meet a decent standard. I wonder if those who have been there recently can offer some insights and guidance, which will be very much appreciated.
I was there last month and I think it's pretty good. Modern rooms but nothing special. The hotel is not run down thats for sure. Looked fairly new to me. Ate at the restaurant downstairs and it was good. I would recommend this spot as it's close to everything. I've seen much worse Sheratons as I have stayed over 200 nights this year at Sheraton.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Very encouraging. Thank you very much!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
We plan to make our first visit to Guilin in early November, but I read a lot of very recent bad reviews on TripAdvisor how the hotel is dated and unpleasant, with the reviews average no better than 2 stars.
Why not just go straight to Yangzhou?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone recommend a half-day tour along the Li River? Is there anything that leaves from near the hotel? It looks like the club lounge here has closed; are Titaniums given any other perks besides breakfast here now?

How much is a taxi from the airport to the hotel? Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone recommend a half-day tour along the Li River? Is there anything that leaves from near the hotel? It looks like the club lounge here has closed; are Titaniums given any other perks besides breakfast here now?

How much is a taxi from the airport to the hotel? Thanks!
Its been awhile but I'm pretty sure there was a desk in the hotel where they were booking half day cruises up the Li river to yangshuo with lunch included and shuttle service to the boat (I believe). Its a one way trip though.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone recommend a half-day tour along the Li River?.......
I recall all public Li River cruises take all day, or 3/4 of a day. They all depart in the morning and arrive Yangshou around 1-2pm. Then, it takes one hour or more to get back to Guilin by land. There are lots of boats but they all run on similar schedules. You might be able to arrange a private boat tour for half a day.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TerryK
I recall all public Li River cruises take all day, or 3/4 of a day. They all depart in the morning and arrive Yangshou around 1-2pm. Then, it takes one hour or more to get back to Guilin by land. There are lots of boats but they all run on similar schedules. You might be able to arrange a private boat tour for half a day.
Thanks, that's what I am seeing, too. I wonder how much it costs to get back if it is just one-way. Seems kind of like a weird tour offering to just leave you somewhere. Anyone know what the Titanium perks are here?
I may just stay at the Hampton Inn since it is also city center.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's what I am seeing, too. I wonder how much it costs to get back if it is just one-way. Seems kind of like a weird tour offering to just leave you somewhere. Anyone know what the Titanium perks are here?
I may just stay at the Hampton Inn since it is also city center.
The boat is for one way but you are being transported back by bus. That is basically how all the packaged tours run, the only difference is how far down the river the boat goes. Arrange a private sailing if you feel you could not spend a whole day on this activity, and it certainly would not be cheap.

Our impression of Gullin is, most every place, from tour operators to restaurants is trying to rip off tourists, whether you are westerner or Chinese from other places.

As far as I know there is no tour that go both ways by the boats - it is the same route, and slow. Why would anyone would go both ways on the water? Besides if both ways by boat, then the distance to flow down would be very limited.

This is a fairly OLD Sheraton, primarily getting its business from the local people who host wedding banquets or other celebrations there and tour groups. I doubt you can expect much of elite recognition.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I would go straight to Yangshuo from the airport and skip Guilin. I don't recommend the Li River cruise on a big boat.

I prefer going on a bamboo raft. Not the famous part but still gorgeous and more relaxing. Any of the motor boat spots get noisy.

I also strongly recommend the Zhang Yimou night show. Stunning
I recommend the opposite. I really enjoyed the boat ride down the li river in the morning from Guilin. That being said I would base the decision on arrival time. If I was arriving in the morning I wouldn't want to blow a whole day in Guilin. However, if arriving in the evening or early evening then spending the night in Guilin so you can take the morning boat cruise makes more sense.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The boat is for one way but you are being transported back by bus. That is basically how all the packaged tours run, the only difference is how far down the river the boat goes. Arrange a private sailing if you feel you could not spend a whole day on this activity, and it certainly would not be cheap.

Our impression of Gullin is, most every place, from tour operators to restaurants is trying to rip off tourists, whether you are westerner or Chinese from other places.

As far as I know there is no tour that go both ways by the boats - it is the same route, and slow. Why would anyone would go both ways on the water? Besides if both ways by boat, then the distance to flow down would be very limited.

This is a fairly OLD Sheraton, primarily getting its business from the local people who host wedding banquets or other celebrations there and tour groups. I doubt you can expect much of elite recognition.
No, what I meant was that some tours are one-way by boat and leave you in Yangshuo to get back by yourself. Some do not provide any transportation back to Guilin, which seems weird.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, what I meant was that some tours are one-way by boat and leave you in Yangshuo to get back by yourself. Some do not provide any transportation back to Guilin, which seems weird.
You were ripped off. You can walk up to pier and purchase a one way boat ticket, but that's not a tour.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
You were ripped off. You can walk up to pier and purchase a one way boat ticket, but that's not a tour.
No, that's the way many OTAs are selling tours. I think I am just going to book through the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.