Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What to Do? AMS Marriott - Plat/Exec Level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

As some of you may remember from my posting on prior threads, I stay at the AMS Marriott each year for the IBC trade show (did a detailed report on the hotel last year & posted to FT).

Here's my question & it might be a moot point for this year, but possibly for next year's show.

Because the trade show takes over the entire town, ALL the hotels (including Marriott) jump up their rates - a LOT. Except for my first year at the hotel when I was able to get in at last minute & didn't know about exec level-ie, reg small room, I've always bitten the bullet & paid for exec level, which is normally more $$. I've been able to do this cuz I have multiple clients at the show, so the expenses get divided.

Here are this year's rates:

Exec Level: 279E; goes up to 395E during trade show; drops back after show
Standard Room: 229E; goes up to 345E during trade show; drops back

When doing a search on this forum because I had a question about the AMS Marriott, a post reminded me that Platinums are supposed to get upgrades - presumably to exec level & at least lounge access (which in this case is good, cuz the bkfst & evening stuff helps offset the food costs during the show).

So, should I cancel my exec level confirmed reservation & book standard instead, & then hope for the upgrade to exec? It would save 400E (ie, rooms are 50E dif/day) in total over the 8-day stay. Some have posted they got the upgrades; others posted they didn't, but were given key to exec lounge. I'm NOT referring to a suite upgrade, but an upgrade to exec level room which I think is a bit better than non-exec.

Here's my concern about switching reservation - w/ exception of 1st year & one other, I've always gotten rooms which ended in *23 & look right out over the Leidesplain. They're quite large, and when I come back exhausted from the show it's nice to be in a large room where I can unwind/not feel claustraphobic.

If I switch down to standard room & hope for the upgrade, do you think that would potentially screw up my getting the nicer room - ie, if I'm actually paying for the exec level there's a better chance they'll put me in the larger one vs a smaller one?

And the reason this year I need the larger room is that I'll have a roommate for 6 of the 8 nights. A friend wants to attend the show but needs to save $$, so I said could stay w/ me (and I never do roommates, so this is really going to be interesting - I'm used to going to bed late, getting up early, hitting 24-hour health club weird hours, having my own space, turning on the telly - but I digress).

Your thoughts? There's a 15-day cancel/change clause for the hotel room & I'm outside that, but will have to decide relatively soon.

Also, unrelated but couple of quick ?s:

* Should I put 2 for people in the room (it doesn't affect the rate), or just keep it as 1 & get an extra key? Does it even matter to the hotel? Would it help w/ trying for larger room?

I can't have a 2nd name on the res or my clients would think the expenses are being shared when in actuality I'm just helping out a friend & letting them stay for free.

* Has anyone stayed there recently? In 2002 the lounge was open on Fri & Sat & in 2003 it was closed on those days. Anyone know whether it's open or closed on weekends for food/drink?

* Hi-speed internet was 19.95E/day last year. I thought someone mentioned Plat receives for free, but I don't know if that's just a vague thought or true. Anyone know? There is internet in the exec lounge, so I can check email up there (and log onto FT), since I did it last year.

* Anyone stayed in reg room & junior suite? I'm not expecting upgrade to jr. suite since Marriott doesn't really give them (and the threads say mixed things about this particular Marriott in gen). I was just trying to figure out if I had one in the past, as some of my rooms had a dining room table in it (but not kitchen in terms of microwave or anything but counter) & some haven't. I just wondered if that was considered the jr. suite, or if JS was something else.

BTW - the website has a photo tour now, which I don't think was on there before.

Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 18, 2004 at 7:42 pm
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:43 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

* Should I put 2 for people in the room (it doesn't affect the rate), or just keep it as 1 & get an extra key? Does it even matter to the hotel? Would it help w/ trying for larger room?
a) If you put 1 in the reservation, you risk to get trouble with the room mate.
b) If you put 2 in the reservation, you risk to get receipt with two names

IMO, you have much more possibilities/options to sort out b) with the hotel when you check out. I wouldn't risk a) as you won't be able to sort it out with the hotel in case they want to make an additional profit for the second person ...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:18 am
Original Poster

The rate stays the same obnoxious high - 395E - whether there's 1 or 2 - guess since they're gouging everyone during the show (118E up over regular rate), they're not picky on how many in the room (well, they would be if there were 20, but you know what I mean).

My main ? (which alas I buried in the original post rather than list separately) was whether I should downgrade to a regular room & save some $$, expecting to get the upgrade to exec as a Platinum, & if the downgrade would diminish my chances of getting the larger room that I've been lucky enough to get for last several years, or whether to stay w/ secured exec level. I've got to decide within next week cuz of the cancel clause.

Cheers. Sharon...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I would purchase a standard room and take my chances on the upgrade. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I was not upgraded at a full-service Marriott. (I'm not talking about a suite here!)

The hotel is unlikely to sell all the executive-floor rooms, so they'll have one for you. They probably release them first-come/first-served, so if you arrive at a reasonable hour, you should get a decent room.

Last time I was there, I stayed in Room 1025, which I believe is the only room with a balcony facing out from the front of the hotel.

Bruce
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I stayed in that room Bruce! It was the first time I paid for the exec level/2nd time I stayed at the hotel. They told me it was a smoking room but allowed me to check it out (didn't smell smoke so I stayed in it).

I guess my big concern about switching the reservation is that the hotel is full cuz of the convention, and I'm afraid I'll get stuck w/ a small room. On the threads I read some have said they got the upgrade; others said they didn't.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:11 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My main ? (which alas I buried in the original post rather than list separately) was whether I should downgrade to a regular room & save some $$, expecting to get the upgrade to exec as a Platinum, & if the downgrade would diminish my chances of getting the larger room that I've been lucky enough to get for last several years, or whether to stay w/ secured exec level. I've got to decide within next week cuz of the cancel clause.

Cheers. Sharon...
Sharon,

As a platinum member you are entitled to access to the concierge/exec lounge. The upgrade however is based on availability and is not guaranteed to be on the executive floor. If you have a concern regarding the size of the room, the most direct way to ensure you receive it is by booking it.

Of course the choice is entirely up to you.

Chris
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I think I'm going to stay w/ the confirmed exec level cuz I've got my friend staying w/ me & need a larger room.

Boy, I hope I get it! My luck the 1 time I need it would be the 1 time I get one of the regular ones. Helps that I'm arriving a couple days before the show starts I think, or perhaps I should call the hotel before I arrive.

Next year when I'm at the show, though, will book standard room & hope for the upgrade to exec level. I can deal w/ a regular room if I have lounge access, and this particular Marriott has a nice lounge (great image of it on the website).

Anyone know the answer(s) to my other questions in the original post?

Cheers. Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.