Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Meriden, CT [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So let me give an updated review. I have been at this hotel dozens of times, and many more to come.

Recent reno of the lobby area. Well done, nice. Indoor heated pool, spacious and comfortable. Exercise area looks good, just not my thing. Lots of meeting space. Great bar and restaurant, diverse menu.

Rooms recently had a refresh. I typically end up with the "32" suite. Well appointed, comfortable, sofa, refrig, microwave. Large desk, but I actually prefer the lounge chair here so I can work and watch TV. Outlets in LR are minimal, but some rooms have a new outlet bunch on the table with 4 outlets and 2 USB slots. All the BR also have the same. The GREATEST thing I have NEVER seen elsewhere. The BR has a thermostat RIGHT next to the bed. I prefer to sleep in a cold room with the fan on. This allows me to turn off the fan, raise the set temp, check email and only get out of bed when the room is warm after 5-10 minutes. GENIUS.

Breakfast buffet is decent, but always the same, real eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage and french toast. It is full, not continental.

Another great thing I have lucked out on, when you do MAGC, they still fresh your room, make the bed, trash, replenish water. My work is in New Haven, I CHOOSE to drive the 20 minutes to this property. Tracy and Yvonne care about their guests and work hard to make it right.

Last edited by etsmyers; Mar 7, 2015 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:37 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by etsmyers
So let me give an updated review. I have been at this hotel dozens of times, and many more to come.

Recent reno of the lobby area. Well done, nice. Indoor heated pool, spacious and comfortable. Exercise area looks good, just not my thing. Lots of meeting space. Great bar and restaurant, diverse menu.

Rooms recently had a refresh. I typically end up with the "32" suite. Well appointed, comfortable, sofa, refrig, microwave. Large desk, but I actually prefer the lounge chair here so I can work and watch TV. Outlets in LR are minimal, but some rooms have a new outlet bunch on the table with 4 outlets and 2 USB slots. All the BR also have the same. The GREATEST thing I have NEVER seen elsewhere. The BR has a thermostat RIGHT next to the bed. I prefer to sleep in a cold room with the fan on. This allows me to turn off the fan, raise the set temp, check email and only get out of bed when the room is warm after 5-10 minutes. GENIUS.

Breakfast buffet is decent, but always the same, real eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage and french toast. It is full, not continental.

Another great thing I have lucked out on, when you do MAGC, they still fresh your room, make the bed, trash, replenish water. My work is in New Haven, I CHOOSE to drive the 20 minutes to this property. Tracy and Yvonne care about their guests and work hard to make it right.
I have stayed here for years and you like this place a lot more than I do. When the hotel up the road became the Sheraton South Hartford I moved up there and it is such a nicer hotel although it tends to be more expensive.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

I took a job west of New Haven in January so I've been spending way too many nights in hotels in the area. My preferred hotel has been a Hyatt Place in Shelton but as an SPG Platinum Ambassador I decided I really should spend some nights with SPG since I'm trying to achieve Lifetime Platinum. Sadly this hotel is the only option in a 20 mile radius so I booked a week here recently.

Overall I also cannot share etsmyers enthusiasm for the Four Points. Don't get me wrong, overall it is a functional decent place to stay but IMHO it does have the following issues:
- a strange location somewhat off the beaten path down an industrial warehouse road
- the lobby is indeed renovated but I think it is very strange that they leave all the doors to the conference/meeting rooms (which are directly accessible from the lobby) open. Why would you want all those doors open showing everyone that walks by empty rooms with table and chairs?
- hallways to the rooms were dreary and dingy
- I too got a __32 suite but I wasn't as impressed. Evidently they did not replace all the furniture in the suites when they renovated even though they should have. My bed needed replacing and felt like it was leaning or lopsided.
- hallways were very noisy
- the week I stayed there it was very snowy and the hotel did not do a good job at snow removal. Parking lot barely plowed and area right in front of door was never really cleaned or salted.

Positives:
- friendly staff
- good room housekeeping staff as pointed out
- good strong wifi in the room

Overall it is a functional hotel but I would not go out of my way to stay there. I'm actually choosing to stay with Hyatt even though I would like to stay with SPG in the area since driving daily from Hartford to my job to pick another SPG property is too far.

Last edited by christianj; Mar 7, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:33 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The south Hartford Sheraton isn't really in Hartford. It's maybe 10 minutes up the road.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I took a job west of New Haven in January so I've been spending way too many nights in hotels in the area. My preferred hotel has been a Hyatt Place in Shelton
Hyatt Place or Hyatt House? I know there is a HH in Shelton.
I also frequent the HP in Milford.

Maxed out the HGP promo so moved to the 4p. I like the breakfast and bar/dinner better at 4pt over the HP.

Sheraton South is nice, but that turns my 30 minute drive to 45. YUCK
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Hyatt Place or Hyatt House? I know there is a HH in Shelton.
I also frequent the HP in Milford.

Maxed out the HGP promo so moved to the 4p. I like the breakfast and bar/dinner better at 4pt over the HP.
Sorry but I got my Houses and Places confused! . I've stayed at both but prefer the Hyatt House in Shelton over the Hyatt Place in Milford even though it is farther from my office. HH also is in a nicer area with better food options than the HP plus the Studio Suites are pretty nice. So far this year I've also maxed out on the HGP promo and have had 20 nights at the HH and 8 nights at the HP. (Plus my 5 at the 4Pts and 2 at the Omni in NH) Was able to sign up for the GP Diamond Elite promo as well so I should be Diamond later this week.

Really wish SPG had a better option in the area! Tentatively have the 4Pts booked for 3 nights mid month so if your in town maybe we could have a FT get together at the hotel. Just don't steal my suite upgrade!

Last edited by christianj; Mar 8, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:27 pm

Definitely will be, but we apparently can also get together when at home since it appears I am just up 83
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Spent a night here last week on points and was pleased. Confirmed most of what's been said in this thread; friendly staff, appealing lobby, elevators were prompt, pool was large enough for laps and the indoor/outdoor deck area was attractive (with shower on the indoor deck, no locker room), the bed was very comfortable in a typical 4P room. Didn't have too deal with thermostat as outdoor temps were moderate so room was pleasant without any noise.

Check in was fast; was upgraded to a suite which was appreciated and very unexpected (as a Gold). Also got $3 off/person coupon for full hot b'fast buffet, which was very good, as was dinner, in the Silver City Bar & Grill attached to the hotel. There were a couple trucks worth of road workers in the bar and restaurant, which helped make the place seem livelier than it might have otherwise. Overall the stay was pleasant and I would come back if in the area again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.