Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Madrid, Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Madrid, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Madrid?

I'm looking at Madrid for 5 nights over Christmas. It looks like I have some limited Marriott options, including an airport Marriott and a couple of Autograph Collection properties.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The airport property is the best redemption, but it is probably horribly inconvenient for sightseeing every day.

Obviously, a good free breakfast and/or lounge is an important consideration, although it looks like the Autograph Collection properties are basically breakfast-only.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Have you checked SPG also?

We stayed at the Westin Palace a number of years back. I was SPG Gold at the time. We were given an upgraded room with a view of the plaza (the fountain), but hopefully you would do better as a Plat. There was no lounge that I can remember, however. I recall a small coffee shop around the corner from the hotel entrance (facing the plaza), so I picked up coffee and some rolls there in the morning to soothe the savage wife. The Westin Palace is a classy, older hotel.

I thought the central location was good for the tourist. You're across the street from the Prado Museum. Behind the Prado is a church and there is also a very large park nearby and a botanical garden (though December might not be the best time for the garden). I also remember visiting the Palacio Real and the Cathedral, but these were further from the hotel.

We spent a few days exploring Madrid but also took 2 day trips (one to Segovia, one to Toledo) by train. The train to one of those cities left from the station that was within walking distance from the hotel (Atocha station), while the other day trip required a taxi to get to a different train station.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Does anyone have any suggestions?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rid-spain.html
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:35 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The breakfast you get as a platinum at the Palace is wonderful.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
it was a Starbucks when we last stayed (and as to the hotel, great location)

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I recall a small coffee shop around the corner from the hotel entrance (facing the plaza), so I picked up coffee and some rolls there in the morning to soothe the savage wife.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We stayed at the Palacio Del Retiro on points (I am platinum) in October. They didn't have a free breakfast, we did get points because of that, but they upgraded us to a giant suite. Basically the room with all the balconies in this picture was our room, we had 4 balconies. The service was great, one of the best stays I have had at a Marriott.

Location is great, walk to the Prado, etc and I love the park across the street. Just a great park, we walked through their every day

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/madre-hotel-palacio-del-retiro-autograph-collection/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I saw that thread, but it's kind of useless given the last post is more than two years old.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Have you checked SPG also?

We stayed at the Westin Palace a number of years back. I was SPG Gold at the time. We were given an upgraded room with a view of the plaza (the fountain), but hopefully you would do better as a Plat. There was no lounge that I can remember, however. I recall a small coffee shop around the corner from the hotel entrance (facing the plaza), so I picked up coffee and some rolls there in the morning to soothe the savage wife. The Westin Palace is a classy, older hotel.

I thought the central location was good for the tourist. You're across the street from the Prado Museum. Behind the Prado is a church and there is also a very large park nearby and a botanical garden (though December might not be the best time for the garden). I also remember visiting the Palacio Real and the Cathedral, but these were further from the hotel.

We spent a few days exploring Madrid but also took 2 day trips (one to Segovia, one to Toledo) by train. The train to one of those cities left from the station that was within walking distance from the hotel (Atocha station), while the other day trip required a taxi to get to a different train station.
Was it walking distance to Sagrada Família? I thought I read somewhere that the area around Atocha wasn't very safe, at least at night -- though that's kind of common in Europe with train stations.

Originally Posted by abk
The breakfast you get as a platinum at the Palace is wonderful.
Do you remember what it was? Did they give anything else?

Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
We stayed at the Palacio Del Retiro on points (I am platinum) in October. They didn't have a free breakfast, we did get points because of that, but they upgraded us to a giant suite. Basically the room with all the balconies in this picture was our room, we had 4 balconies. The service was great, one of the best stays I have had at a Marriott.

Location is great, walk to the Prado, etc and I love the park across the street. Just a great park, we walked through their every day

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2
I'd imagine my chances at a good upgrade as a platinum are pretty good at Christmas, as there just aren't many platinums on the road. I also don't see Madrid as a popular Christmas destination for Americans.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You'll get a free breakfast w/ the Autographs but they don't have lounges. I wouldn't go to a city over the holidays & stay at the airport. In your other thread I recommended Vienna as an option.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You'll get a free breakfast w/ the Autographs but they don't have lounges. I wouldn't go to a city over the holidays & stay at the airport. In your other thread I recommended Vienna as an option.

Cheers.
The airport Marriott in Madrid is somewhat attractive because six nights are only 75,000 points. That's 125,000 points less than the in-city hotels. Granted, the location probably isn't ideal, but ...
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Sagrada Familia isn't within walking distance since it's in Barcelona !

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Was it walking distance to Sagrada Família? I thought I read somewhere that the area around Atocha wasn't very safe, at least at night -- though that's kind of common in Europe with train station.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:30 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
We walked to and from the train station for a trip to Barcelona and it was no problem whatsoever.

My friend was just at the Palace last month and enjoyed it. The breakfast is an elaborate buffet in a beautiful restaurant in the hotel. It is very nice.

In addition to the Starbucks just outside the hotel there is a VIPS which is a coffee shop/ convenience store that sell things like soda,water, beer and wine.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2
Didn't they offer breakfast in the lounge/bar area? We were there in March 2016 and had a lovely free breakfast every morning.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Seven nights in Madrid - with concierge lounge?

We are going to be visiting Madrid in late September/early October. I am redeeming the RewardsPlus package so will have seven nights to use in one consecutive stay somewhere. Our trip would be Madrid, Barcelona, the Pyrenees, and a quick drive-through of Andorra in 12 days.

But because we need to spend seven whole nights in one place, we figured Madrid might be the place to spend it. Since I am platinum, I would really like to be at a hotel that will offer excellent platinum service - a chance to upgrade to a great room/possibly suite, that maybe has a concierge lounge, and that will offer us breakfast.

I don't seem to see that Autograph Collections have concierge lounges. Do any Marriotts in Spain???

I might add that we particularly enjoy more historic properties than sleek, modern ones, but we are open.

Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am staying five nights in September and it came down between the Palacio and Santo Maura. I heard mixed things about the brekkie and Palacio, like only croissants and pastries as a Platinum. I am going with the Santo Maura as it looks drop dead gorgeous and for my needs is also in a great area. Read they do a nice breakfast for Platinums

FYI. When I stayed at the Radisson Blu Prada I walked back and forth to Atocha at all hours and never had a problem and I am a woman, traveling solo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.