Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Madrid, Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold

Acessing the Marriott website is very slow today. Is there a Marriott in Madrid?
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:36 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
No Marriott in Madrid

There is no Marriott in Madrid -- there are Marriott resorts in Malaga, etc. --
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
...and it's been a small Marriott pet peeve of mine that they don't have more options in Spain, while we're on the subject. In some cities, like VIE, there's almost too many Marriott/Courtyard/Renaissance but none in other important tourism capitals, like MAD or BCN. Of course, I'm excluding the Ritz properties as they are well beyond my price range because I think we've covered this topic before and if memory serves there is one Ritz in MAD.
Redhead likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
...and if memory serves there is one Ritz in MAD.
Close! The Ritz (Carlton) is in Barcelona. There is a "Ritz" in Madrid but it has nothing to do with Marriott.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Just as an aside is it correct that you do not qualify for Reward points at any Ritz?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:34 am
Suspended

Correct.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:24 pm

Let me try and provide a little insight into why you don't see many non-European hotel chains in Spain. Although I can obviously not speak on Marriott's behalf, I will pass along some comments that came up in a conversation that I had earlier this year with someone who has worked in several executive positions among hotels in Spain and now runs a consulting firm in the industry.

The Spanish workforce is extremely untraditional. Productivity is generally low, two months vacation a year is normal, and things generally happen at the employee's own leisure, not the customers'. Such a workforce would have a very difficult time adapting to a standards-based system such as the one in place at Marriott and at other major international hotel chains.

Purchasing is another problem - it seems there are very few centrally-based service providers that could supply the requirements of the hotel's food service operations in a traditional method, and none of them in a reliable fashion.

Although this sort of cultural barrier might be tolerable in a vacation-resort setting (ie the Marriott resorts in the south), it would be extremely difficult to run an efficient business hotel based on an American model in Spain. I do expect Marriott to enter the Spanish market in full force eventually (possibly similar to the way Marriott entered Canada... very gradually with a few token properties and then a high-growth expansion plan) when the workforce eventually becomes more productive and efficient. It is happening and don't forget that Spain became democratic (well, it is a monarchy, but you know what i mean...) relatively late compared to most other European nations.
Old May 8, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Madrid Marriotts ???

I looked for any brand Marriott in Madrid and there isn't any - can anyone tell me why the capital of Spain has no Marriott representation ??? I will have no choice but to leave my greenbacks in the competition's pockets ......
Old May 8, 2009, 5:05 pm

I have asked the same question over the past several years. Marriott needs a hotel in Madrid. In the meantime I recommend The Westin Palace ^

Marriott does have a Renaissance in Barcelona mind you it is an airport hotel but I guess that's a start. Something more central would be nice.
Old May 8, 2009, 7:12 pm

Thanks, I will look into your recommendation. Don't forget that there is a Ritz Carlton in Barcelona but not everyone can afford to go there, me included.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danola
Thanks, I will look into your recommendation. Don't forget that there is a Ritz Carlton in Barcelona but not everyone can afford to go there, me included.
I see you are a HHonors member. Hilton has an airport property in Madrid that apparently is not too bad, as well and considerably cheaper than the Westin Madrid.
Old May 9, 2009, 3:53 pm

Not really, if you add up the cost of going to town from the airport and back, I doubt if you would break even 132 Euros Vs 97. I think I'll go with the four star hotel.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The Marriott chain has few hotels in a fair number of European countries that are popular tourist destinations, such as Spain and Italy.

Although I tend to concentrate on one airline award program (American/OneWorld can get me most anywhere I want to go), this is the argument for using two different hotel award programs. If you enjoy international travel, and if you accumulate Marriott Reward points, I think you also need to work on Starwood or Hilton to increase your options.

This is also an Achilles heel in the Marriott timeshare program. If you buy a timeshare from Marriott, you have the option of converting your timeshare usage to Marriott Reward points every other year. Marriott sells this by telling you that you can then use your Reward points for international travel. And that is definitely true for some European cities, such as London and Paris (where there are numerous Marriott properties). But your Marriott points won't help you much in Spain or many parts of Italy.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by danola
They don't participate in MR so why should I give them my business when they give me nothing back?

If you are a member of Starwood the Westin usually has the option of cash & points which was 4500 points and $90USD a night.
Old May 10, 2009, 1:25 pm

I think I'll go with IMVERGE's suggestion, as I see it, the Palace is the best value - when you compare quality of accommotaions, location and price. Thanks Verge !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.