Wiki Posts
Search

When a hotel leaves Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
When a hotel leaves Marriott?

I will be staying 2 nights this summer at a hotel but made 2 reservations -- first night with points and 2nd night with cash. I just received a note from Marriott that the hotel is ending their affiliation with Marriott effective May 1st and so they have moved my points reservation to another hotel. Wondering if there is any recourse?

A few more details:
1) I paid with points for the first night because the rate was significantly higher on that night
2) I really don't want to move hotels for a 2 day visit
3) I've stayed at the hotel where they are moving me and I did not like it
4) The hotel that is leaving it the Hotel Katanajooka in Helsinki thought this is a broader question
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cpworld
Wondering if there is any recourse?
I doubt it. I would guess that Marriott can't likely force the hotel to honor a Bonvoy point redemption if the hotel is not part of Marriott.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:46 pm

I have been through this many times with Marriott. I almost always get a take-it-or-leave it offer, unless they have multiple properties in the city. That said, I have never pushed back or had reason to.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You can cancel and rebook both nights elsewhere. Unfortunately, Marriott will not do anything else.

Compensation for deflagging properties
SPN Lifer and TXJeepGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.