Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New partnership between Marriott & Cathay Pacific: Reciprocal status & point transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New partnership between Marriott & Cathay Pacific: Reciprocal status & point transfer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver

Haven't seen another thread here yet, but the press release for this showed up in my news feed this morning. Details here:
Headline benefit appears to be reciprocal status matching and acceleration opportunity for elite members:
  • Marriott Platinum and above can match to Cathay Silver for 12 months, then upgrade to Gold for 12 months after earning 300 Status Points (vs. 600 normally required) within 12 months of registration
  • Marriott Gold can register for an accelerated challenge to Cathay Silver by earning 150 Status Points within 12 months (normally 300)
  • Cathay Silver and above can match to Marriott Gold for 12 months, then upgrade to Titanium for 12 months after earning 10 Qualifying Nights within 6 months

In short, looks similar to the partnership with SQ but with a slightly harder hurdle for achieving CX Gold and an interesting opportunity for CX status members to accelerate up to Marriott Titanium.
​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:16 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Just tried to registered. It’s already closed lol!!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by williamluk
I got the same message, sounds very weird
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by williamluk
Pulled this from reddit. Credit to Equivalent_Durian_70

Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:03 am

Got an error message then tried later and got the promo is closed message .
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:16 am

Same situation here
There's another thread here Marriott Preferred Partnership With Cathay.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Sigh. It's already an old partnership.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Lol... "Cathay Silver and above can match to Marriott Gold for 12 months, then upgrade to Titanium for 12 months after earning 10 Qualifying Nights within 6 months"

Seems like Marriott is giving away status to try to get more stays from pax in Asia.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Ha, another Baidu post.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by czhang
Haven't seen another thread here yet, but the press release for this showed up in my news feed this morning. Details here:
Headline benefit appears to be reciprocal status matching and acceleration opportunity for elite members:
  • Marriott Platinum and above can match to Cathay Silver for 12 months, then upgrade to Gold for 12 months after earning 300 Status Points (vs. 600 normally required) within 12 months of registration
  • Marriott Gold can register for an accelerated challenge to Cathay Silver by earning 150 Status Points within 12 months (normally 300)
  • Cathay Silver and above can match to Marriott Gold for 12 months, then upgrade to Titanium for 12 months after earning 10 Qualifying Nights within 6 months

In short, looks similar to the partnership with SQ but with a slightly harder hurdle for achieving CX Gold and an interesting opportunity for CX status members to accelerate up to Marriott Titanium.
​​
Originally Posted by rylan
Lol... "Cathay Silver and above can match to Marriott Gold for 12 months, then upgrade to Titanium for 12 months after earning 10 Qualifying Nights within 6 months"

Seems like Marriott is giving away status to try to get more stays from pax in Asia.
I think it is the Platinum status, not Titanium.

https://travel-partner.marriott.com/cathay/en-us/terms

Part C – Marriott Bonvoy offers and benefits provided to Joint Members in their capacity as Marriott Bonvoy Members

1. Subject to clauses 1.3 and 6 of this Part C, Members of the Cathay Membership Program will be eligible for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status if the Cathay Silver, Gold or Diamond member stays 10 Qualifying Nights (as defined in Part A, Section 2.1 above) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy (“Participating Properties”) within six (6) months (“Cathay Accelerator Challenge”) from date of enrollment in the Cathay Accelerator Challenge);
    1. Members of the Cathay Membership Program will receive three thousand (3,000) bonus Points upon completion of the Cathay Accelerator Challenge.
    2. When Marriott Bonvoy grants a Cathay Silver, Gold or Diamond member Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status under the Cathay Accelerator Challenge, such member will have Platinum Elite status for a minimum of twelve (12) months, and such Platinum Elite status shall expire in accordance with the Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules. Thereafter, the member must qualify for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status under the Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules.
    3. If a Cathay Silver, Gold, or Diamond member has already achieved Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, or Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite status at the time they register for the Preferred Partnership Program, they will not be able to enroll in the Cathay Accelerator Challenge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
So the match was available for less than 24 hours? Or am I reading this wrong. I never even received an email from Marriott on this.
tropikey likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
So the match was available for less than 24 hours? Or am I reading this wrong. I never even received an email from Marriott on this.
I'm thinking maybe they wanted to be more targeted with this. Cathay probably isn't that interested in throwing status to North American or European customers who won't be loyal long term.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:41 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Did last less than 12 hours to match to CX Sliver. How is Marriott even accepting this in the first instance! I call this fake advertisement!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I'm thinking maybe they wanted to be more targeted with this. Cathay probably isn't that interested in throwing status to North American or European customers who won't be loyal long term.
While CX has recovered some after the pandemic , it is still not back to the airline it was before the pandemic, in addition many corporations is moving LoBs from HKG to SIN which will show in the demand for premium cabins.
I would think at this point they take what business they can get ..Hope MAR can twist CX arm a little more

Last edited by X-ON; Feb 28, 2024 at 2:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.