Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Marriott Preferred Partnership With Cathay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG

Has anyone else here received an email to link their Marriott Bonvoy membership to Cathay Pacific for status with Cathay?

As a Marriott Bonvoy® Titanium Elite member, you’re eligible to link your accounts and receive extended Cathay benefits:

Complimentary Cathay Silver Status

Accelerate to Cathay Gold Status

I find it a bit odd as a couple of months ago they sent the same thing with Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program. I linked my accounts at that time to get KF Silver, just finished the four flight challenge and now I am KrisFlyer (Star Alliance) Gold.

it's tempting to do it again with Cathay to get OneWorld Silver/Gold.....
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:49 pm

Yeah I have but when you try to link the accounts...you can't lol.

HAHAHA.
buschoi likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:51 pm

I tried to link my Krisflyer accounts last month .. same thing and finally got this reply...what does it mean?We appreciate your loyalty as a Marriott Bonvoy® Member.

I am following up on your recent enquiry regarding our Preferred Partnership Program between Marriott Bonvoy® and KrisFlyer. Our Specialty Research Department has confirmed:
The combination of Marriott Bonvoy® Gold with KrisFlyer Elite Silver Status. will result in a Not Eligible KF too Elite error message. The Gold member cannot receive benefits if they are too elite.
Click here to contact us if you need additional assistance. The Marriott Team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

Joy M.
Marriott Bonvoy® Customer Care
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:52 pm

I mean i dont really stay at Marriott anymore but still.....
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Same error for me, are the systems overwhelmed?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I got an error message just now too.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
But it seems that there is no mention on how to go from silver to gold after the link.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Virgin Gold, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Saw this earlier, I’m a bit confused. As I interpret it, a CX Silver signing up for Marriott Gold will result in existing CX status point being reset to zero?

” Status Extension Offer, and Acceleration Offer for Joint Members in their capacity as Cathay Members with Silver Status

xxxx

The number of Status Points of such Cathay Member will be reset to zero upon enrolment in the Preferred Partnership Program.”

Is this correct? Or am I missing something. Thanks.

If so this isn’t great for anyone that’s already done one or two long hauls… or have the renewal bonus status points
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:46 am

I tried to link my Cathay Diamond membership to my Marriott membership (non elite) and received a warning message stating "If you're eligible for an accelerated status offer, your Cathay status points will reset to zero when you link accounts". Rather than run the risk of losing status points towards my Diamond membership renewal I decided not to run the risk of losing my status points.

I called the Cathay membership line, spoke to an Agent but I am none the wiser as to what happens if I link my accounts.

Very frustrating trying to interact with Cathay these days.
buschoi and Jono_UKHK like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: CXDM
Oh dear god.

I linked my accounts and then just saw this post. I have about 1000 SPs after 3 months of travelling and I just confirmed with CX and they said that this will be reset to zero. I asked to cancel the link and they said that they have not been told how this can be done. This is so ridiculous.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:38 am

Programs: Virgin Gold, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tehbing
Oh dear god.

I linked my accounts and then just saw this post. I have about 1000 SPs after 3 months of travelling and I just confirmed with CX and they said that this will be reset to zero. I asked to cancel the link and they said that they have not been told how this can be done. This is so ridiculous.
Oh no. Hope they can reverse it… that’s very unfortunate. I will hold off on this for now then. Thanks for sharing and do keep us updated! Fingers crossed.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Jono_UKHK
Oh no. Hope they can reverse it… that’s very unfortunate. I will hold off on this for now then. Thanks for sharing and do keep us updated! Fingers crossed.
It is so ridiculous I find it hard to believe that reseting Cathay Status Points to zero is Cathay's intention where we are talking about upgrading our Marriott status level , not our Cathay status level
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: Cathay GO, Marriott GO
This thread is freaking me out as I didn't read the terms and conditions when I got the email, and immediately linked my Marriott Bonvoy account with my CX account. I am currently CX Gold and also Marriott Bonvoy Gold, and the reason I wanted to do this was to join the the Cathay Accelerator Challenge so that I can reach Marriott Platinum Elite after staying for 10 Qualifying Nights.

I've read the T&C again and the following is my understanding. In summary, your status points will only reset to zero if you are a CX Green or CX Silver member but want to get upgraded to either CX Silver or CX Gold by virtue of being a Marriott Gold/Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member.

1. If you are a CX Green member and also a Marriott Gold member:
  • By virtue of being a Marriott Gold member, you will be eligible to be upgraded to CX Silver and your status points will reset to zero upon enrolment.
2. If you are a CX Green member and also a Marriott Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member:
  • By virtue of being a Marriott Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member, you will be eligible to be upgraded to CX Silver and your status points will reset to zero upon enrolment.
3. If you are a CX Silver member and also a Marriott Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member:
  • If you are a CX Silver member and also a Marriott Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member, a CX Silver member will be eligible to be upgraded to Gold if they accrue at least 300 status points within 12 months of enrolment. Your status points will reset to zero upon enrolment.
  • If you are a Marriott Platinum/Titanium Elite/Ambassador member and has already achieved CX Gold, you will not be eligible to participate in this offer.
4. If you are a CX Silver/Gold/Diamond member and a Marriott Bonvoy member or Marriott Silver/Gold member:
  • If you are already a CX Silver/Gold/Diamond member who at the time of enrolment is also a Marriott Bonvoy member or a Marriott Silver/Gold member, may be eligible to receive additional benefits from Marriott Bonvoy (see below):
(a) If you are a CX Silver/Gold/Diamond member, you will be eligible for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after staying 10 Qualifying Nights within 6 months. If you are a CX Silver/Gold/Diamond member and have already achieved Marriot Bonvoy Platinum Elite, you will not be eligible to participate in this offer.

(b) If you are a CX Silver/Gold/Diamond member, you are eligible to request complimentary Marriott Gold status. CX Green members are not eligible to participate.

(c) If you are already a Marriott Gold member and want to participate in this offer, you can enjoy a 12-month extension of the Marriott Gold status. If you are already a Marriott Platinum status or higher, you will be able to retain the Platinum Elite or higher status.
Please let me know if anyone thinks my understanding above is incorrect...
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by hkhighflyer; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:05 am
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: Cathay GO, Marriott GO
Originally Posted by Jono_UKHK
Saw this earlier, I’m a bit confused. As I interpret it, a CX Silver signing up for Marriott Gold will result in existing CX status point being reset to zero?

” Status Extension Offer, and Acceleration Offer for Joint Members in their capacity as Cathay Members with Silver Status

xxxx

The number of Status Points of such Cathay Member will be reset to zero upon enrolment in the Preferred Partnership Program.”

Is this correct? Or am I missing something. Thanks.

If so this isn’t great for anyone that’s already done one or two long hauls… or have the renewal bonus status points
The status points reset only applies if you are a CX Silver member and a Marriott Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador member, and you get upgraded to CX Gold by virtue of being a Marriott Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador member. See Clause 4.1 and 4.2 of Part B of the T&C.

Getting complimentary Marriott Gold status for a CX Silver member is stated in Part D of the T&C. It doesn't say a CX status points reset..
Jono_UKHK likes this.

Last edited by hkhighflyer; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:46 am
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: TK Gold
still hmmm i suspect i have different name on CX and Marriott:

I go with First Name - Last Name in Marriott but in AM it also includes my Chinese name.... not sure if that's the reason why it doesn't work...

Oops. Try Again.

An error has occurred — please try again or contact Member Support.

You can also explore hotels and resorts at marriott.com or explore the benefits of our airline partnerships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.