Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation at two hotels, semi-overlapping dates, one account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Trip to Disney with family. Have a 4 night stay at the swan reserve starting on a Wednesday, 3 night stay at the dolphin starting on a Thursday.

both reservations are booked via my Marriott account under my name. Will there be any problems? Anything I need to do ahead of time? Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That's technically not o.k. since you won't be staying at both hotels. Probably will work, but you will only get credit for 1 of the stays, mostly likely the 4 night stay.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
The reservations themselves should be fine, but you probably won't receive elite benefits or stay credit for part or all of the second stay. Bonvoy T&Cs Sec. 2.1.d. iii. "Members cannot earn or receive benefits for Stays at multiple Participating Properties for the same date(s)."
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Marriott's reservation system doesn't catch duplicate bookings, so the reservation will be fine. I doubt it will impact on property elite benefits, either. But you won't get credit for two stays on the same night.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott's reservation system doesn't catch duplicate bookings, so the reservation will be fine. I doubt it will impact on property elite benefits, either. But you won't get credit for two stays on the same night.
While this might be true in practice, there are risks. A colleague of mine had concurrent stays at two different properties and was given Platinum benefits at both. A few weeks later, he received an email from Marriott basically saying they noticed and if he did it again, it could be grounds for terminating his membership. I don't know if he was just the unlucky subject of a random audit, but it shows that gaming the system isn't without risks.
Kacee and iknowthings like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tjk1976
I don't know if he was just the unlucky subject of a random audit, but it shows that gaming the system isn't without risks.
Not sure I would call it gaming the system; after all, the guest is paying for both rooms. But this is useful information for sure.
SPN Lifer and tjk1976 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:35 pm

I sometimes book single night stays in two different hotels in the same city on a range of dates, thinking that I can stay in one and check out the other hotel (obviously before any cancellation penalties kick in) ; of course only one hotel is booked on the first night and then for the remaining nights I cancel the less desirable hotel. Anything wrong in doing so?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:51 pm

Not sure I would call it gaming the system; after all, the guest is paying for both rooms. But this is useful information for sure.
Gaming the system = knowingly receiving benefits you're not entitled to.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
I sometimes book single night stays in two different hotels in the same city on a range of dates, thinking that I can stay in one and check out the other hotel (obviously before any cancellation penalties kick in) ; of course only one hotel is booked on the first night and then for the remaining nights I cancel the less desirable hotel. Anything wrong in doing so?
As long as you receive stay credits and elite benefits at no more than one property per night, you're not violating any Marriott rules (there are no rules against making multiple reservations if you don't end up using all of them).
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:39 pm

Gaming the system = knowingly receiving benefits you're not entitled to.
We have different definitions of that term.

Also, note that "receive benefits" in this context can reasonably be construed as referring to earning points and elite nights credit, not on-property elite benefits. Given that the guest is paying for both rooms, I'd propose that's the more reasonable interpretation.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:15 pm

We have different definitions of that term.

Also, note that "receive benefits" in this context can reasonably be construed as referring to earning points and elite nights credit, not on-property elite benefits. Given that the guest is paying for both rooms, I'd propose that's the more reasonable interpretation.
When a member receives benefits they're not entitled to, it can be interpreted as a direct violation of a T&C or even fraud (which is also a violation of the T&Cs). It doesn't matter if it's points, nights, on-property elite benefits, or whether or not they're paying for the room. Claiming ignorance of the rules or plausible deniability are not credible defences.
iknowthings likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Unfortunately it just means things are going to be a bit random. You'll probably get credit for one stay at random, both if you're lucky.

It can be annoying as it is possible to have two subsequent nights at Marriott hotels on the same date due to the oddities of the international date line, but it is what it is. If you want to push the rules, you might have some annoyances as a result.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt, United, Flying Blue
The Dolphin, Swan, and Swan Reserve are sister hotels that share a website, a single local phone number for reservations, and even their own app. You can charge meals at one hotel to your room in the other - restaurant bills all have a place to check which of the three hotels you are staying in. I mention this simply because that might make this situation different than the usual situation in which a local Marriott would not know you also have a reservation for a same night at another hotel. If you are concerned that the Dolphin reservation might get cancelled if someone sees you already checked into the Swan Reserve, you might want to give the Dolphin a call directly to alert them to the situation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Retiredlife
The Dolphin, Swan, and Swan Reserve are sister hotels that share a website, a single local phone number for reservations, and even their own app. You can charge meals at one hotel to your room in the other - restaurant bills all have a place to check which of the three hotels you are staying in. I mention this simply because that might make this situation different than the usual situation in which a local Marriott would not know you also have a reservation for a same night at another hotel. If you are concerned that the Dolphin reservation might get cancelled if someone sees you already checked into the Swan Reserve, you might want to give the Dolphin a call directly to alert them to the situation.
Speaking of sister hotels that allow guests to do room charges across different properties, we were in Honolulu a few weeks ago and were surprised to see food and beverage service outlets at the Sheraton Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian, the Westin Moana Surfrider, and the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani still allow guests to do room charges regardless of which property they're staying at. It's a holdover from Starwood that I'm surprised is still in effect all these years later (guests staying at other local Marriott hotels still can't do room charges at the mentioned properties). I'm guessing it has to do with some pre-merger legacy accounting system that they must still be using.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........we were in Honolulu a few weeks ago and were surprised to see food and beverage service outlets at the Sheraton Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian, the Westin Moana Surfrider, and the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani still allow guests to do room charges regardless of which property they're staying at.........
Those four are owned by the same franchisee Kyo-ya.
tjk1976 and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.