Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early check-out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Early check-out

What is the earliest I can check out of a Courtyard and still get the points / stay-credit for the night? If I were to check out 5 minutes past midnight, would I earn the stay credit and points for that night? What is the best way to establish the exact check out time so as to avoid any debate later on, keeping in mind that all hotels may not have the correct time in their systems?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Just leave and checkout via the app/chat later in the morning. You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't even checkout and simply leave.
wcj1, Swanhunter, MissJ and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
If you’re worried about the night posting just leave. They won’t know until you are supposed to check out and if there’s nothing in the room they will assume you just left.

I would probably check out in the app at a reasonable time (say 8am or so) to allow them plenty of time to get the room ready for the next guest.
TGLoyalty, SPN Lifer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
If you’re worried about the night posting just leave. They won’t know until you are supposed to check out and if there’s nothing in the room they will assume you just left.

I would probably check out in the app at a reasonable time (say 8am or so) to allow them plenty of time to get the room ready for the next guest.
Easier said than done - my companion and I will each have a piece of checked luggage and this is a hotel in a former Soviet republic - so slipping out without anyone noticing will be difficult. My flight leaves at 0215, so I cannot risk getting to the airport much after midnight!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by puchong
Easier said than done - my companion and I will each have a piece of checked luggage and this is a hotel in a former Soviet republic - so slipping out without anyone noticing will be difficult. My flight leaves at 0215, so I cannot risk getting to the airport much after midnight!
I am going to say something apocryphal for a Flyertalker. While it would be great to get the night credit, I think it is more important to ensure you don't miss your flight out of the former Soviet republic. You can still try just leaving; however, if the front desk gives you any pushback, I recommend checking out and let the chips land wherever they do on the night credit. If your were staying at a property in the US, just leaving would work fine. Eastern Europe YMMV....

--Jon
TGLoyalty, MW147 and blue2002 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
They might notice, but they won't automatically check you out. You might be dropping your companion off at the airport and returning after.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
AFAIK it needs to be after the night audit I don’t think midnight is late enough for most properties.

I’d just leave your companion might have two or three pieces of luggage. If there’s a bill to settle just ask to see it during the last evening / night and settle, I just usually use the want to make sure the card works or want a quick check out in the morning excuse if there are any questions to why.
scottpenderson and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
AFAIK it needs to be after the night audit I don’t think midnight is late enough for most properties.
This is correct. Midnight has no bearing on what day you are checking out. Until audit is run, the day of business does not advance. This is usually done anywhere from 2am-ish - 5am-ish.

That being said, most hotels, in my experience, will just manually post your room charges so you can settle your bill and then actually check you out after audit is run. It's cleaner this way for both parties, especially for hotels that have in-room purchasable amenities that won't be checked until your room is cleaned the following day.
TerryK and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Just a data point here - I've done this in Dubai at Le Meridien a number of times. The flight I take back to the US leaves around ~2AM, so I head to the airport at like 10:30 or 11PM (way early, I know, don't judge). I always check out, with the front desk, to make sure I get a paper folio (just in case, for expenses). If you pay for the night, it shouldn't matter when you leave. I've always gotten credit for the night.
Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Maybe out of my last 300 nights in the last couple of years I've only said I'm checking out a handful of times either cause the FD engaged in convo as I was leaving or I had to visit the desk upon leaving regardless. Walk out and leave..
benfro6 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jonisflying
Just a data point here - I've done this in Dubai at Le Meridien a number of times. The flight I take back to the US leaves around ~2AM, so I head to the airport at like 10:30 or 11PM (way early, I know, don't judge). I always check out, with the front desk, to make sure I get a paper folio (just in case, for expenses). If you pay for the night, it shouldn't matter when you leave. I've always gotten credit for the night.
I have done the same coming back from Asia where I check out prior to midnight. More than 50% of the time, the automatic credit shows up for 1 night short. In those cases, I follow up via missing credit and have to exchange an email to explain that I was taking the post midnight flight and booked for the additional day since I wanted to stay at the hotel until close to midnight. It’s worked fine to get the credit for the last night but it does take the follow-up and email exchange as described here.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.